Employment advice please - URGENTLY REQUIRED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning, I really need some guidance and help on a matter that has been going on since March please.

I work for a local council authority and back in March this year my manager tried to get me to significantly increase my evening overtime working hours without my consent and also without change to my contract even though this would have meant a substantial change to my working hours. When I realised that she was being underhanded, I said I wanted to speak to someone on the council to ensure what she was asking was correct. Needless to say this did not go down well and after many days or her threatening legal implications and much bullying to get me to do it, I declined once more. It was then she threatened to email the entire council (21 members) about me and tell them I had flatly refused to do as I was being told and to support her in her endeavours to 'manage' me and not to enter into any interaction with me again on the matter. She later sent the email. At this stage she also challenged me to file a formal grievance against her if I so wished.

Having no personnel dept to go to I visited the CAB who advised that she was out of order and to file a formal grievance against her, she was not allowed to change me contractual hours etc without the consent of the council. This I did and what has enfolded can only be described as a farce! The grievance was held by 2 current councillors and found that my manager had not been bullying me and it must have all been in my mind and she was right to do what she did! I appealed the finding and some months later an independent panel found in her favour regarding the bullying as my colleagues refused to back me up. The panel did find that the way she had managed the situation was all wrong. They confirmed she had been wrong to send the email which undermined and embarassed me and the way the whole thing had been handled was disgraceful. The panel suggested the council must decide what the next step forward was but suggested some mediation could be offered to me and my line manager. A findings report was released for the council and she refused to let them see it.

The original grievance was raised in March this year and during this time I have not been allowed to speak to a single soul at work about the matter. I have been completely isolated, without direction and it has really left me vulnerable. The final straw for me was when a new councillor came into the office 3 weeks ago demanding I go to mediation as the situation was now intolerable and embarrasing for the council. I said I wasn't sure I could attend as the situation had never been resolved (with the manager) after all she did she was never even given a slap on the wrists for her behaviour and now the whole thing has just been swept under the carpet. He demanded I go, if not, the council would have to take further action against me!

I just can't cope with this any longer, it has been going on far too long as has caused me mental and physical stress, including heart palpitations. I went to see my doctor and she signed me off work for 2 weeks and then a further 1 month since my last visit with work related stress. (She did offer to sign me off back in May when I went to see her but I said I would wait and hope the situation would be resolved.) I have heard nothing from work at all in the last 3 weeks, but this morning received the attached letter quoting new deadlines and grievances etc etc. This is about to send me over the edge I swear, but what should I do, I'm off with stress and they send me more??? I don't know which was to turn. The letter is signed by a councillor on behalf of the staffing committee, but this newly formed committee (Sep 2014) is not a personnel/HR dept and I have no guidance at all. Do I really have to deal with this letter now, it seems like they are adding to my stress. I feel they have caused my current ill health due to their lack of duty and care towards me.

I feel like walking out. I know that utimately I'll have to go as I no longer trust my manager or the council to stand up to her but in the meantime need some guidance, many thanks in advance to you all. I am happy to answer any questions you might have to clarify the situation.

Inclined to agree. The only alternative if you feel unable to work - and especially if your doctor is of the opinion that work is affecting your health - would be to resign and find another job. You could resign and instigate a claim for constructive dismissal, but I very much doubt from what you have outlined here that it would succeed. A Tribunal would also look at what efforts were made to mediate and resolve the issues informally, and whilst there may well be matters which you feel were not dealt with originally, the council are clearly offering an opportunity to resurrect your original complaints - if only to confirm why they did not uphold your grievances.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!