Broke my work laptop!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I hope your well.

I accidentally cracked the screen on my work laptop today.

The latop had been used prior to me being given it and was already scratched and scuffed by the previous user.

I have the laptop connected to two monitors at work and have an external keyboard and mouse plugged into my laptop.

I tried to log into the laptop this afternoon and the external keyboard wasn't working which happens from time to time

and normally I would just open the lid of the laptop and close it again and this is normally enough to rectify the problem.

When I open closed the lid of the laptop as I normally do today the keyboard still didn't work, and

when I open the laptop for a second time a 3cm crack had developed on the screen of the laptop.

I didn't use any kind of excessive force and the laptop still works perfectly plugged into the external monitors.

The laptop screen itself still works apart from the area immediately around the crack that has gone black.

I'm very worried that my employer is going to try and deduct the cost of the laptop from my wages

which I really can't afford and i'm not sure what to do. The computer itself was hardly in the best of conditions anyway

and I would feel extremely hard done by if I had to pay for a new computer which i'm sure my boss is going to try and make me do.

I have though about getting the screen replaced out of my own pocket but this would cost well over £100

and dont see why I should have to incur such expense but at the same time this may be the best option instead of having to replace the laptop itself.

Any help on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Explain to your employer what happened.

Most employers would just replace the laptop and scrap the old one, especially if it was already defective.

At the end of the day it's a tool of the trade and will have a life surely shorter than a privately used computer.

See what they say first and then come back for advice, they may just replace it.

Hi cjs09

Welcome to CAG

Have you checked your employee handbook regards company property?

Your employer might have insurance against accidental damage?

It might just be 'wear and tear', maybe it's old, no doubt your employer has budgeted for it as a future issue.

If they ask you to pay for it update the thread or if it is resolved.

I think you are worrying about nothing.

If I was an employer I would have insurance to cover damage to my equipment

and a broken secondhand laptop wouldnt even register as being worth a claim.

I would just make a note of it and get it written off on my tax return at the end of the year.

A new one will be allowable against tax so will cost me just about nothing to get an upgraded lappy.

All you need to do is tell your employer what happened and assure them that it was not due to excessive force

or negligent behaviour and they will most likely say nothing.

If you start going on about payment for a replacement a bad employer will jump at the chance to take advantage

and a good one think you have lost the plot a bit.

As above - tell the employer. Happens all the time and we have had far worse cases. Even had a guy tip a cup of tea into a brand new one within hours of receiving it. All covered, replaced and no problems. Yours is not even new and these sorts of incidents should be little more than an inconvenience.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!