autorenew refund

tali
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hasting Direct -why are you messing me about for months ???? .

You auto renewed and did not inform me even by email-which you admitted was wrong .

I told you i sold the bike

-you said send receipt of sale

-you said this was not acceptable

- (its a private sale for gods sake !!!!!!)

You then requested proof from dvla

-i sent this

- but again you say this is not acceptable:-x

The fact Hasting Direct have their own dedicated forum says it all really

The fact that you failed to inform me of autotrenewal should have resulted in immediate refund

as soon as i raised the matter!!!!:mad2:

Hi tali,

Thank you for posting, I am sorry to hear that you have had problems with the renewal of a policy and gaining a refund. Can you please send over the policy details and I will take a look at this for you? [email protected]

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Hi rebel,

I am not sure that they grade complaints in terms of 'basic' or otherwise but the referral fees are £550 per case as I understand it.

As you know our role on this site is to try and assist our customers where possible, so while I do appreciate your interest I will wait for the OP to get in contact if they wish to.

Thanks,

Jamie

The £550 is a starting point, it can increase quite substantially depending on the complexity of the case. I'm very interested the customer is trying to resolve the matter, he's doing what Hastings Direct are asking him to do, but the matter isn't being resolved. Hastings Direct has got his money but don't want to give it back, although it should be refunded immediately.

This could end up as a complex case for the FOS.

Hi rebel,

I am not sure that they grade complaints in terms of 'basic' or otherwise but the referral fees are £550 per case as I understand it.

As you know our role on this site is to try and assist our customers where possible, so while I do appreciate your interest I will wait for the OP to get in contact if they wish to.

Thanks,

Jamie

It is not as straightforward as it is being suggested. It is legal requirement to have atleast third party cover for a motorbike. Hastings sent the auto renewal documents according to their system. Then the policyholder says they sold the bike. In accordance with the Road Traffic Act Insurers can only backdate cancellation in exceptional circumstances. They have not accepted what was sent to them re the bike sale.

What Hastings should have done is to cancel the policy from the date the policyholder contacted them and refunded the annual premium less the cancellation admin fee. Then on receiving confirmation from the DVLA they should have then cancelled from the relevant date and if appropriate refunded the cancellation admin fee. At the moment for whatever reason Hastings are refusing to cancel and offer a refund.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

a) The OP states Hastings failed to inform of auto renewal -

no documents sent by Hastings, they should have sent documents. The OP probably found out it was auto renewed by looking at his bank account and the debit.

b) They stated 'send receipt of sale', he did, they didn't refund.

c) They 'requested proof from dvla', he did, they didn't refund.

They still haven't refunded.

They want to keep the monies at all costs.

It is not as straightforward as it is being suggested. It is legal requirement to have atleast third party cover for a motorbike. Hastings sent the auto renewal documents according to their system. Then the policyholder says they sold the bike. In accordance with the Road Traffic Act Insurers can only backdate cancellation in exceptional circumstances. They have not accepted what was sent to them re the bike sale.

What Hastings should have done is to cancel the policy from the date the policyholder contacted them and refunded the annual premium less the cancellation admin fee. Then on receiving confirmation from the DVLA they should have then cancelled from the relevant date and if appropriate refunded the cancellation admin fee. At the moment for whatever reason Hastings are refusing to cancel and offer a refund.

if you have your original DD it should say the dates it will be taken

if they have gone over that time limit

use the DD guarantee via your bank.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...
if you have your original DD it should say the dates it will be taken

if they have gone over that time limit

use the DD guarantee via your bank.

dx

Its debit card payment.Contacted bank - but they say have to contact Hastings

nope

they are wrong

CPA

read below

GENERAL NOTES ON CHARGEBACK & Continuous Payment Authority & BACS

We have been telling people to put a letter into their bank instructing them

not to make any payments under any circumstances to these companies

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/- it works!

usually this should be done using the number on your debit card

banks MUST follow written intructions from their customers !

This fsa guide has now been updated:

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf

http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel

Here's the text:

Cancelling a regular

card payment:

When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account,

such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription,

it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.

These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.

In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments.

However,

you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments.

Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.

Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe.

and that CANELLING YOUR CARD WILL NOT STOP THE CPA

New june 2013

Regulator orders Banks and mutuals to review complaints about not cancelling recurring payments from November 2009.

Consumers who have set up a regular payment from their account will now be able to successfully cancel that arrangement

by contacting their card provider, the Financial Conduct Authority said.

The FCA has been examining how easy it is for customers to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs)

due either to payday lendersicon or for other regular payments such as subscriptions or gymicon memberships.

CPAs, which are also commonly called recurring transactions or recurring payments,

are relatively easy to set up but can be hard to cancel, causing problems for consumers trying to manage their finances,the FCA said.

Now, following the FCA review of how the largest high street banks and mutuals process requests to cancel CPAs, they have agreed that they will ensure that when

a customer asks for a recurring payment to end, that will be sufficient to cancel the arrangement. They have also confirmed that should a payment go through by

mistake following cancellation by a customer the customer will be refunded immediately.

In addition to securing this commitment, the largest banks and mutuals have agreed to review every individual complaint they have received about the non-

cancellation of a CPA and to pay redress where payments have continued to be made despite the customer cancelling the arrangement. This applies to all complaints

since November 2009 when the Financial Services Authority, the FCA’s predecessor, began regulating banking conduct.

Clive Adamson, the FCA’s director of supervision, said: “It’s important that consumers are confident that banks are meeting their everyday banking needs. Today

customers can be confident that when they ask for a Continuous Payment Authority to be cancelled – it will be cancelled - and that it can be done easily.

“We recognise that historically this is an area where some customers have struggled but the banks and mutuals have responded positively to our work on this issue.

From now on we expect them to be getting this right. In addition, they have committed to review past complaints.”

Also mentioned your displeasure that as whomever took your money had obviously attempted this many times

probably activating your banks own anti fraud software - nobody had the decency to inform my you this was going on.?

.In the FSA's own words:

What should I do about a payment from my account that I didn’t authorise?

Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction.

Money can only be taken from your account if you have authorised the transaction

or if your bank can prove you were at fault –

see below.

Contact your bank immediately if you notice an unauthorised payment from your account.

If you are sure you did not authorise the payment, you can claim a refund.

However, your bank does not have to refund you if you do not tell it about the payment until 13 months

or more after the date it left your account.

Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction

------------------

Your bank may only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:

? it can prove you authorised the transaction

– though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password,

card and PIN proves you authorised a payment; or

? it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently,

or because you deliberately,

or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction

-----------------------

How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?

The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies.

Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened,

but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form.

If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies,

it may investigate before making a refund

but must look into it as quickly as possible.

If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.

If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately.

But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove you are liable to pay

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thx for that dx100uk, Halifax say once i signed to Hastings TandC -which would have included auto renewal and as such is not an unauthorised transaction -even if they failed to inform me prior by post or email.

18th October i sent email to [email protected] -NOTHING - not even an acknowledgement

Jamie whats the update

dx

and they

Hi Tali,

I've checked the emails that day and I have found one that could potentially be yours, however there is not enough identifying information contained in it to confirm this. The email also has no body and seems to be a forward of one of our responses. If you would like to resend your correspondence then I will ensure that it is received and processed correctly.

Kind regards,

Joe

Yes that's the one .iIhave forwarded again last correspondance including case number -i'm sure from there you should be able to find all details from that and from email address

• 3 weeks later...

I have again forwarded all emails on 9th november -heard nothing.

so forum members can see what i am dealing with

- as my case number alone which i gave ages ago would have been sufficient for media manager to look into all that time ago

- but no i have to spoon feed them everything

Hi,

Thank you for your post - I have taken your concerns on board and looked into your case. I can see that your handler has offered a solution which requires an action from you to complete. If you are able to do so, we can offer the outcome that you have requested however we are unable to perform it on your behalf. I have asked your handler to contact you again today by phone and email to update you on how we can progress the complaint. If you need anything else from us or are unsure as to how best proceed you can contact him directly by replying to his email. We look forward to providing an amicable resolution very soon.

Kind regards,

Joe

I have again forwarded all emails on 9th november -heard nothing.

so forum members can see what i am dealing with

- as my case number alone which i gave ages ago would have been sufficient for media manager to look into all that time ago

- but no i have to spoon feed them everything