Father's Power of Attorney - Need Advice

Lucky7even
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So if she wants to carry on with this, its going to cost her a fortune not us!!

That may not be the case IMHO. ....

She is clearly "out of her depth". ........ Knows the "chickens are coming home to roost" !!!

At the moment S.I.L wants your partner "Out of the frame". .... WHY ??????

Follow post # 49 goodatresearch. (First paragraph) Someone's up to no good.

Your'e post # 50 is correct, points 1 2 3 .

Take this slowly. ... Don't rush. you will make a mistake that could cost YOU.

Good Luck.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That may not be the case IMHO. ....

She is clearly "out of her depth". ........ Knows the "chickens are coming home to roost" !!!

At the moment S.I.L wants your partner "Out of the frame". .... WHY ??????

Follow post # 49 goodatresearch. (First paragraph) Someone's up to no good.

Your'e post # 50 is correct, points 1 2 3 .

Take this slowly. ... Don't rush. you will make a mistake that could cost YOU.

Good Luck.

We have an appointment at the CAB on the 3rd Nov to see their solicitor just for general advice.

The S.I.L I am afraid does not have a leg to stand on.

Because she has failed to over 2 years to keep my partner informed of any changes in his health, and his financial status this will go against her as a claim for her abusing her position as an attorney.

My partner is just basically refusing to sign the papers.

She can still register the EPA and carry on as before; there is no need for any of this and she knows it!!

The fact is she wont speak to my partner and she wont phone him either.

The solicitor is going to warn her on her conduct to date and especially the daughter sending me a message through Facebook demanding the forms to be signed is not acceptable.

At the end of the day the daughter is not on the paperwork so cannot get involved.

My partner will tell the solicitor that the sister wanting him off the paperwork because she claims he has had no contact with his father is a very poor excuse.

We are still waiting for the S.I.L to reply to reasons why she wants him off the paperwork amongst others.

I cant wait to see the solicitor though!!

Just a thought - Some unions offer free legal services - Is your partner a union member ?

Could be an option if the CAB solicitor turns out to be a wet blanket.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Just a thought - Some unions offer free legal services - Is your partner a union member ?

Could be an option if the CAB solicitor turns out to be a wet blanket.

No he isn't but we are going to phone his legal expenses inrruance to see if they can take a claim on if need be, but in hindsight why should we get a solicitor when its the S.I.L who is causing the issue?

Short answer; You don't need to get your own solicitor on board.

However, it doesn't hurt to have expert legal advice behind you should things take a turn for the worse. If you can get this advice without having to pay exorbitant fees, so much the better.

Short answer; You don't need to get your own solicitor on board.

However, it doesn't hurt to have expert legal advice behind you should things take a turn for the worse. If you can get this advice without having to pay exorbitant fees, so much the better.

100% with the above post. .......

Your at the edge of a "Mine Field". ...... Some "expert guidance" might prove prudent.

I hate to say it, but I do hope it is the SIL paying for this solicitor and not your FIL. :-/

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for the above replies.

We are fully aware that the S.I.L could have easily registered the EPA with the Office of Public Guardian herself and saved on solicitors fees.

As far as we are concerned it is the S.I.L who instructed the solicitor not the father as he is not mentally capable of doing anything and doesn't even know what day of the week it is.

The daughter said in her nasty facebook message to me that the S.I.L is "scrimping and saving" yet on her Facebook page they are going off to Vegas for the S.I.L's 50th birthday!!

So we will ask the solicitor is the S.I.L paying the fees!!

An attorney can only claim for reasonable expences i.e. postage. Solicitors fees to get rid of an attorney who hasn't acted inappropriately would not be considered reasonable. There is a charge for registering the EPA but the donor pays not the attorney.

As to the FIL financial affairs, SIL is obliged to keep a list of all bank accounts, savings accounts, assets and an account of her dealing with each. If she hasn't done this or refuses to hand them over, than you could report this to the OPG.

QUOTE=Lucky7even;4634606]Thanks for the above replies.

We are fully aware that the S.I.L could have easily registered the EPA with the Office of Public Guardian herself and saved on solicitors fees.

As far as we are concerned it is the S.I.L who instructed the solicitor not the father as he is not mentally capable of doing anything and doesn't even know what day of the week it is.

The daughter said in her nasty facebook message to me that the S.I.L is "scrimping and saving" yet on her Facebook page they are going off to Vegas for the S.I.L's 50th birthday!!

An attorney can only claim for reasonable expences i.e. postage. Solicitors fees to get rid of an attorney who hasn't acted inappropriately would not be considered reasonable. There is a charge for registering the EPA but the donor pays not the attorney.

As to the FIL financial affairs, SIL is obliged to keep a list of all bank accounts, savings accounts, assets and an account of her dealing with each. If she hasn't done this or refuses to hand them over, than you could report this to the OPG.

QUOTE=Lucky7even;4634606]Thanks for the above replies.

Thanks for that.

We will be going to the OPG if the S.I.L does not comply with the questions we want answering.

We feel that as an attorney she has abused her position in the fact that she has not kept my partner informed of any health or financial decision in over 2 years especially.

We are fully aware that the S.I.L had carers going in for the father but never at any time did she consult my partner on any matter.

He wont be signing the forms anyway.

We still have had no response from her to date but we understand that she might be swanning off on holiday to Vegas yet her daughter claims she has no money!!

We still have had no response from her to date but we understand that she might be swanning off on holiday to Vegas yet her daughter claims she has no money!!

That sentence alone I think answers the question.

Did you find out about the FIL's Will ???

That sentence alone I think answers the question.

Did you find out about the FIL's Will ???

We need to wait and hear back from the solicitor as to what the S.I.L says.

We will be asking for a copy of the will because we are concerned that because the S.I.L has made the father solely depended on her, that we believe she has cooerced the father into writing my partner out of the will.

My partner will be contesting the will should anything happen to the father in the meantime.

I have some sad news.

My father in law passed away peaceful on sunday.

To date, my S.I.L has failed to contact my partner with regards to the funeral arrangements.

She is just avoiding contact in general as is the rest of his family!!

None of them have honed my partner to see how he is coping!! Families eh who needs them!!

As soon as he died, she was straight on the phone to the solicitor wanting to arrange about opening up the will.

To date, she has failed to contact the funeral parlour about arranging his funeral either!!

To be honest we are appalled at her behaviour!!

Hello there.

I'm very sorry to hear about your FiL, my condoleances to your and your OH. It's very sad that people decide to behave this way at what is already a difficult time. I hope you manage to attend the funeral.

HB

Thank you.

I've just been informed that she has finally made an appointment today to see the funeral people.

Hopefully we will know when we can go and see him.

My father in law passed away peaceful on sunday.

As soon as he died, she was straight on the phone to the solicitor wanting to arrange about opening up the will.

To date, she has failed to contact the funeral parlour about arranging his funeral either!!

Sorry to hear about the loss.

In fairness to the S.i.L. it would be reasonable to have a look at the will to ensure any funeral arrangements were made in accordance with the deceased's wishes - But as the attorney, one would presume she was already aware of these wishes. Also, a day or two to contact an undertaker is quite understandable especially if there is any outstanding questions from the will.

I've just spoken to the funeral directors and they said a possible date would be on Friday 7th November, but I will need formal confirmation which will be tomorrow as they cant get hold of the church.

Dont know to go or not because with the sister in law she might cause a scene or we will be made to feel unwelcome by staring!!

He has as much right as anyone to be there, even if only to the service if he wants to avoid confrontation. The funeral is not about your SIL, and I suspect that she may try to use his absence at the funeral against him in the future. Please pass on my condolences to your OH.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He has as much right as anyone to be there, even if only to the service if he wants to avoid confrontation. The funeral is not about your SIL, and I suspect that she may try to use his absence at the funeral against him in the future. Please pass on my condolences to your OH.

Thank you I will do.

I nearly fell off my chair earlier; his nephew foned to say about dealing with the arrangements!!

I nearly fainted!!

Sorry about your loss.

You have every right to go to the funeral, don't be bullied on this regard. If anyone treats you badly at the funeral it will be them who will look bad.

Thank you.

His newphew foned yesterday regarding attending the chapel of rest and to discuss the arrangements.

I nearly fell off my chair!!

I understand that the funeral is next friday, so the will should be opened and read shortly after.

We have applied for the mother's will and probate to see what provision she made regarding my husband and his sister; we will use her will if there is anything in there against his fathers.

We also believe that the S.I.L cooerced the father in writing the son (my husband) out of the will so she is sole beneficiary.

This could be why she made their father solely depend on her for everything.

Will keep you posted.

Sounds likely doesn't it. I'd still be pressing for the accounts since 2004.

Thank you.

His newphew foned yesterday regarding attending the chapel of rest and to discuss the arrangements.

I nearly fell off my chair!!

I understand that the funeral is next friday, so the will should be opened and read shortly after.

We have applied for the mother's will and probate to see what provision she made regarding my husband and his sister; we will use her will if there is anything in there against his fathers.

We also believe that the S.I.L cooerced the father in writing the son (my husband) out of the will so she is sole beneficiary.

This could be why she made their father solely depend on her for everything.

Will keep you posted.