style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't know if we are allowed to mention names here, but here goes anyway.

Interested to know if a letting agent can legally switch energy suppliers on a house up for rent without notifying or seeking authorisation from the Landlord/owner?

Discovered that Countrywide 'sold' the contract to E.on, (who incidentally have a whole department dedicated to that company). Countrywide get a fee (although E.on would not say how much this was) and E.on get a new customer (we know how apathetic most people are on changing their suppliers) on any tariff they choose to set.

E.on said they took the contract on in good faith (ie. that is on the understanding that the Landlord had agreed). Clearly no checks and balances on E.on's part, but then scruples are always thin on the ground when money is one the table.

I would think they would have to get LL permission to do that! depends on what sort of contract the LA has with the LL?

Anyway any new tenant would be free to change it whoever they want once they have moved in.

Thanks for that.

The LL did not authorize (or was even made aware of) Countrywide's intention to switch energy suppliers, which they did even before the current tenants had moved out. As I said, energy companies rely on the apathy of their customers not to switch and are taking advantage of the situation - so keen for new lucrative customers that they clearly don't bother to check whether the home owner has been informed.

I think this is one for the Ombudsman to review.

If you are an interested party (tenant or LL) then you can complain to e.on and old supplier that your permission has been forged and that you want to change back immediately. E.on will be responsible for any losses and they wont be best pleased with Countrywide about this..

Ts can change supplier without LL consent, assuming they are the account holder, so ask current Ts if they are happy with the E.ON tariff, or wish to change supplier.

Suppliers do pay a switching fee to brokers, that why the energy comparison websites are free.

I believe there was a big kerfuffle when one LL, who was a Utility Warehouse salesman switched all his Ts to UW.

Well I have switched (after complaining) the energy supplier back to the original. I have also been to see the agent at the Countrywide branch and they know this takes place, but, they say, try to stop it. In this case there were not even any agreed terms of business with the Countrywide group and they cannot explain what happened or who was responsible.

It's a shady practice. When a property is empty only the owner should have the right to switch (although they are unlikely to get a fee from the energy company so why would they bother). However, if a property is tenanted it is right that they choose the supplier which offers them the best deal.

• 3 months later...

Just a query.

The meter reader came to read the electricity meter the other day and

said he could not take the reading because the serial number was different than his record.

He suggested I notify the supplier as I could have been billed incorrectly in the past.

Now, I've had the same meter since I moved here and this has not been mentioned previously.

I've only just noticed this serial number appears on the bill and it is incorrect there too.

Does it really matter though if the meter is read or I send in my reading on a regular basis?

Or am I missing something?

Are you a house or flat ?

Is the serial number on the meter the same incorrect number as shown on you bill ?

If this were me, I would want it resolved - if only to discover that there was an input error on his hand held reader.

Make contact with your supplier and advise that the Meter Reader has said he couldn't read your meter due to the serial number not being the same as he had on his reader. Although it is the same number on your monthly bill.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you.

Perhaps I should have asked does it matter to my bill?

If I'm paying for my electricity using the meter readings previously taken or supplied by me they should be accurate.

It may be different for the person who possibly erroneously has my meter serial number

and only ever has estimates (although I think the meter must be read by the supplier within a certain timescale).

The serial number appears to be wrong on my bill and the hand-held device that the meter reader referenced.

I live in a house. The meter has not changed in the last ten years. I have notified the supplier.

It sounds like it's merely relevant for Admin, but it's best to get it corrected. In the 10 years you must of had the meter reader call, it's surprising it's the first time it's been noticed.

Thank you.

Perhaps I should have asked does it matter to my bill? If I'm paying for my electricity using the meter readings previously taken or supplied by me they should be accurate. It may be different for the person who possibly erroneously has my meter serial number and only ever has estimates (although I think the meter must be read by the supplier within a certain timescale).

The serial number appears to be wrong on my bill and the hand-held device that the meter reader referenced.

I live in a house. The meter has not changed in the last ten years. I have notified the supplier.

are your readings actually showing on the bills?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you.

Yes, the meter readings do appear on the bills, so I assume they are linked to my account number rather than the serial number of the meter. Still, now they should update their records. Sadly, it won't reduce my bills.

When we moved into our house we had a key meter, which had been installed for the previous owner as the house was being rented out. We requested that the key meter was removed and a proper credit meter was installed, which the supplier quickly did. However the installer forgot to record the meter number, so it was entered as DUMMY1, and we proceeded to receive electric bills where the meter number was always show as DUMMY1, I tried several times to have the meter number corrected but gave up in the end so our meter stayed as DUMMY1 until we sold the house and moved after 9 years. I hope the new owner has succeeded in getting the correct meter number recorded!

topcat1802, I'm hoping that my query is sorted out a little quicker. They've suggested that the meter was changed. It wasn't. I probably have some really old bills so I'll look to see when the number changed.

Well, I've told them I am withholding my payment until they can explain why they have the wrong number, why it wasn't spotted during previous meter readings and if there are any implications for me if it is not changed (moving house, changing suppliers as posters have suggested). Over a week has elapsed and I've heard nothing yet.

I am not sure that ceasing payment is a good idea. Utility companies are very quick to report adverse information to credit reference agencies.. and install prepayment meters by fair mean or foul !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well it's my only real weapon. It's only a short-term protest. I am in touch with a customer service person and she knows my position - and I will continue to pester her until I get a response (and hopefully an updated bill with the right serial number). I'm not in fear of my credit rating or of them breaking into my home to install a prepayment meter at this point. I would imagine I'd get some kind of warning letter or final demand before it came to that.

A Formal Complaint to their Head office should obtain resolution. Customer Service "persons" are programmed to prevent you getting further than them on the phone and very rarely have the seniority or power to provide a proper and sensible response.

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an odd question, but a property that was up for sale had the energy supplier changed without the permission or knowledge of the owners (the house was empty after tenants had left) by an estate agent who receive a fee from the supplier. When the owners discovered this - when eon sent a final demand - they complained and this eventually went to the ombudsman and dragged on for months and months before the ombudsman said the owner should take up the matter with the estate agent. Estate Agents are not a regulated body.

However, the owner feels that they would have been better off with npower.

What they need to know is what the kwh charge for gas and for electricity were in March and what the standing charge was for both of these.

I've looked at one of the compare sites for current prices and apparently there is no standing charge for electricity

elec 16.842 per kwh

gas 4.667 per kwh

elec no standing charge

gas 14.39 per day

Obviously on an empty house this would have been a better deal - unless of course that was not the case back in March. Anybody know how to find out?

• 2 months later...

E.on have stated that it is their policy not to add additional names to an account when requested by an existing named person. Can they do this? Does anyone know where I can source a copy of a document that states this?