The Thomas Higgins Partnership re Nursing Home Fees.

rivercity
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have just googled TTHP and come across this site, so I hope someone can give me some advice. This morning I received a letter from THP regarding my late mothers nursing home fees. They say I have to pay £303.25 or proceedings will commence for the principle sum and court costs without further notice to me. I did get an invoice from the nursing home a couple weeks ago, which I did ignore because my mother died almost 14 months ago. Am I responsible for my late mothers dept.? My mother did not even have enough money in her pension account to cover the cost of her funeral. I have not been in employment for several years, due to having to care for my elderly parents, so have had no income, so don't have the funds to pay this dept. Does that mean my husband would be liable to pay it. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

No, you are not responsible for your Mother's debts - I will ask others on the site team to look in on you.

They are aware your Mother has passed away, yes ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did you sign anything agreeing to be responsible for any shortfall ? The amount being requested apparently is quite small for that.

Has the Solicitor said exactly what this is for ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, thanks so much getting back to me and sorry for the typo, debt not dept.

Yes the nursing home is aware my mother passed away because it happened in the home. The letter from THP is for unpayed fees for my mothers care for the last 2 1/2 weeks of her life. The only thing I have signed was from the DWP to act as an appointee for my mother, that was about 10 weeks before she died. My mother lived in a council house all her married life, she never went to work, and had no money of her own until she started to receive a state pension. So at the time of her death what was left in her pension did not cover the cost of the most basic funeral. Hope this helps. Meanwhile can you advise the best course of action over this letter, many thanks.

Hi,

How were the fee's being paid whilst your mother was in the home.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

rivercity.. for the moment, do nothing with the letter - someone will look in over the weekend, with some advice :)

BCOBS

I'd think whoever was paying the fee's will be responsible for any shortfall.

Hi,

My sister is in a care home and the council pay a large percentage of her fee's, I have an account in her name where the DWP pay in her benefits and I have to pay the remainder of the fee's from that.

Hi again, mums pension went into her post office account. I would draw the money out once a month to pay her fees. When the DWP made me an appointee 10 weeks before she died, they paid approx. £20 a week into my bank account, I think that was pension credit.

I'd give them a phone and tell them you will pay back the shortfall in monthly instalments getting them as low as you can afford.

OK, so what am I supposed to pay them back with. I don't have any income whatsoever. As I said in my first post I had to give up work to take care of both my parents. I have never received any benefits and me and my husband have had to struggle on just his income, going from 2 wage earners to just 1. They can not expect my husband to be responsible for my mothers debt, or can they?

It might be worth having a word with Social Services - do you have the name of anyone who was dealing with your Mother's situation at the time ?

BCOBS

Did you put the money that went into your bank account towards your mother's fees?

You need to establish why they think you owe it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You would have to check your mums pension was paid up to when she died as there should have been enough to cover the fees.

Hi Rivercity,

If you were paid £20 by DWP for 10 weeks, surely £200 is the limit of what you may owe for the care home fees. And that would only be payable IF that money was paid to you on the understanding that it was paid towards the care home fees.

Despite what demands are made by the care home's solicitors, you'll only be responsible for payments which you received, that were supposed to be paid over to the care home.

But you DO need to be sure you have not signed anything agreeing to pay fees.

Do your checking about this first and then you could write to the sol'rs asking them to confirm on what basis they find you responsible to pay anything, considering your mother's Estate did not even cover the basic funeral cost.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi, thanks for everybody's input. Been going through some old paperwork regarding mums finances. When she died she had just over £1600 in her post office pension account. I used this as a deposit for her funeral, the balance was paid after, using the DWP money and just over £1000 that we paid. So there is no estate money, no DWP money, I have no income, if I am taken to court I still cannot pay this dept. As my husband said what took them so long to ask for the fees, only 14 months.

Hi Rivercity,

Can you tell us more about the £20 per week that YOU were paid. Was it paid in respect of YM so that you would pay it over to the care home.

And did you, in fact, pay this money over to the care home ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hello slick132, regarding the DWP money, I have no idea why it was paid to me, it had always gone into mums account. I am pretty dam sure that nothing was said about it going to the NH, as these fees were paid out of her pension. As I said in the previous post I put the money towards the funeral costs.

Can you think of any other reason the dwp would pay you money other than for your mother's care? If not, the fact that you used it towards her funeral is irrelevant if it was meant for her care. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm afraid it's the truth of the matter.

As I see it you can either ask them to write off the debt as you can't afford it, or try and agree a small regular payment to avoid a CCJ and court costs.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi River,

A point you have already mentioned is why the NH and then their sol'rs took so long to seek this money. I think this is a valid point and you could certainly argue about this with this as they had a duty to act in a timely manner in sending you the NH fees invoice.

Can you tell us exactly how the invoice (that you ignored as per your post #1) was addressed, ie was it to you personally, or to the Representative of the Estate, or other ?

Also, did the NH or sol'rs say in the letter or invoice exactly what it is they are demanding.

Why were the NH fees not paid paid monthly in advance, which is common.

Hi Slick, the invoice was addressed to me personally. When mum was alive they posted me out two invoices every month, one for fees the other for 'pocket-money', that one was was weekly hairdressers, bingo, chiropody, trips out etc.

I would draw the money out of her post office account, put in my bank account so I could pay them by cheque, two cheques every month. I have no idea why they weren't paid in advance, but it wasn't an issue, they always got paid.

The THP letter is for unpaid fees for the last 2 1/2 weeks of mums life. I,m not disputing that, its the fact its 14mths later and there's no money in mums estate to pay them. Anyway, my husband rang the administrators on Monday morning. The person he spoke to said we had to speak to someone else, who happened to be out of the office at the time.

He was told this person would ring me back in the afternoon, but they didn't. So he rang on Tuesday morning, same person answered the phone, he was told we were on the list of things to do of the person we had to speak with.

Wednesday morning he rang again, same person answered the phone again, she told my husband that the NH had sent out so many unpaid invoices and THP letters that the person we should be talking to had actually gone to the NH herself to try and sort out the mess.

So there you are, hope you can understand that. And I shall just have to wait for a phone call.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi River,

We always suggest you stay OFF the phone and keep everything in writing. Whatever is said by phone counts for nothing as evidence if the case gets more serious.

At this stage, I would ignore the Sol'rs and write to the NH saying :-

I refer to your invoice of xxdate.

In view of the fact that my mother passed away well over a year ago, I have no idea why you are now making demands for payment.

If any amount was left left unpaid, you should have exercised due diligence and issued an invoice in a timely manner.

My mother's Estate did not even have enough money to pay for the funeral so there was nothing left after that.

In view of your failure to act in a timely manner, I would ask that you now write off any amount you deem to be outstanding.

Please also ensure we are not threatened again by your solicitors whilst this matter is in dispute.

See how they reply.

• Haha 1