Subletting notification fee £120!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My leasehold flat is rented to tenants and the landlord's agents, a company with a reputation for charging high fees, is demanding a registration fee of £120 from me. This is not for permission, just for registration; my lease says that a "reasonable" registration fee is payable.

I have offered them £40+VAT for this registration as I had understood that this is what LVTs / First Tiers have determined as reasonable for this kind of clerical work. They have refused this sum and requests from others to have similar cases resolved through First Tier have been met with a response that LVTs / First Tier do not have jurisdiction over registration fees.

Any suggestions on how I can get this fee reduced?

Thanks

Hi SiFg

Welcome to CAG

Please be patient I am sure the caggers will be along to give you some good advice.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Then you speak to LL and do not take any notice of the agents. If LL says speak to agents say no, it is not a matter they can delegate and you wont do so.

That sounds good but is it likely / possible that the LL will respond by stating that their fees are higher because, for example, they have to divert someone's attention to my case rather than having their contracted agents to do the job? Are the agents required to give me the Freeholder's (the Landlord's) contact details?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

My lease states:

To give the Landlord and the Management Company notice of every dealing with or underletting or transmission of the legal estate in the demised premises including all mortgages or legal charges of the demised premises within 21 days after the same shall occur and pay to each of the landlord and the management company such reasonable registration fees (including VAT) as the landlord and the management company respectively shall from time to time determine.

I have a vague thought that the freehold was sold to a different company after we signed the lease - I will check my files to confirm this.

The Landlord is named in the lease - it is the company that built the units.

Is there any definition of reasonable that can be applied in this case? The definitions that I am aware of include "without excessive cost" which could not be applied in this case.