friend got a USA toll road fine for hire car whilst on holiday - Need help for a friend

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. In july my friend and 2 of her friends went to california for two weeks and got a hire car.

They got back and everything seemed ok. However, today they have received a letter from a company called 'The Toll Roads'

This letter says that apparently they evaded a toll on a road, and an amount is now due.

However due to the letter coming by airmail,

it has taken a considerable time to get to her.

As such the alleged amount as increased.

What i and she would like to know is, would this 'debt' be enforceable in the UK.

As this is the first time they have had any knowledge of it.

If it isnt, would the best course of action be to ignore it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

In quite a lot of countries the hire car companies pay the amount and then bill the hirer to the credit card used. This has obviously not happened and they have just given your friends address details to them.

I can't see it being enforced in the UK. I think these toll road are owned and run by a company, not the government of California. If it were a speeding offence or other Police related issue then I think US/UK have some arrangedment. But I would think that this toll road would be similar to a private parking ticket.

Apparently if you live in Califoria they would put some hold on the vehicle registration, but obviously with a hire car this would be difficult. I may be the case that The Toll Roads will contact the hire company in the event of non payment and your friend will get invoiced by them, threatening to charge her credit card. She should check the hire car companies terms regarding any unpaid tickets during the hire period.

Really depends on whether your friend is likely to return to California. If she will do, perhaps she should send an email to them to say that she has only just received their letter and will offer to pay the original reduced amount and not the further amounts they have added. If they reduce the amount down on their system, she will pay the reduced amount online.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to friend got a USA toll road fine for hire car whilst on holiday - Need help for a friend