Please help... Will I be arrested at airpoRt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I left UK in emergency with a debt of about £2200 on capital one card and 2 phone contracts... Now I m coming back to UK after a couple of months... Will I be stopped at airport or arrested...???

I have stopped recieving any emails from capital one and O2...??

Kindly answer me

no we stopped debtors prisons in the 1800's

its a civil offence anyway

not a criminal one anyhow

rest easy

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks mate..

I will be staying in UK for 10 days at the moment but am thinking to permanently move there in June 2015..

. I know my credit score will be bad but I can get a contract in my wife name to run me temporarily...

Shall I contact capital one and O2 when I move permanently

or I just simple ignore and keep everything in my wife name so they can't find me..??

Personally I am thinking to contact O2 and reach a settlement..

What do u suggest

Edited by dx100uk
behave

if you are moving back to the uk

then at some point it will need to be deal with

but no rush

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks a lot guys. I feel much lighter now. I want to know is the easy way to deal it. Shall i contact them or shall I let them find me, please let me know so they dont bully me once i move back permanently

Let then find you... Once you have settled in here, sign up to Noddle... Both debts will probably be listed...

Then you can go from there...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks rebel, Yes I will get a Pay as You Go or I might not even need it. I am talking about later next year when i move permanently to UK. That's what I am afraid off....

If you see border security at the airport with long rubber gloves that make your eyes water thinking of it, just think what they might be looking for. Could it be the Capone and two phone debts that you left behind ?

It tends to be the Islamic countries where debts are a problem in regard to travel. E.g if you had a Dubai debt, left the country without it being paid, it would not be wise to return to Dubai or go to another Islamic country, as you may have a problem.

Fortunately in the UK debt is purely an issue between you and the creditors. If you are planning on returning to the UK and will deal with the debts, it might be wise to write to these companies you have the debts with, to say that you had to move abroad due to an emergency and you don't currently know whether you will return to reside in the UK. Advise them that you are not in a position to deal with the accounts and will inform them if the situation changes. Then it is up to you to deal with it, when you want to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you see border security at the airport with long rubber gloves that make your eyes water thinking of it, just think what they might be looking for. Could it be the Capone and two phone debts that you left behind ?

It tends to be the Islamic countries where debts are a problem in regard to travel. E.g if you had a Dubai debt, left the country without it being paid, it would not be wise to return to Dubai or go to another Islamic country, as you may have a problem.

Fortunately in the UK debt is purely an issue between you and the creditors. If you are planning on returning to the UK and will deal with the debts, it might be wise to write to these companies you have the debts with, to say that you had to move abroad due to an emergency and you don't currently know whether you will return to reside in the UK. Advise them that you are not in a position to deal with the accounts and will inform them if the situation changes. Then it is up to you to deal with it, when you want to.

Lol, thanks man for support... So u suggest that I should send them an email regarding this issue now so that when i move to UK permanently i would start paying them back...???

or as per one brother shall I let them find me when I permanently move to UK and then sort out with them

Dont send them anything at all. Forget about them and get on with your life. Let them find you when you get back. If they even bother to find you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Lol, thanks man for support... So u suggest that I should send them an email regarding this issue now so that when i move to UK permanently i would start paying them back...???

or as per one brother shall I let them find me when I permanently move to UK and then sort out with them

It would be better to send them a letter, so they can see from the envelope that you are abroad. The letter you send should not mention payment or admit to owing the debt. It should simply say that you are abroad and cannot currently deal with the account.

When you come back to the UK, it is up to you whether you contact them. The debt will probably be passed by these companies to debt collection agencies who just collect debts. Because the debts get passed on from the original creditor to a debt collection agency, it might be easier waiting for them to contact you. The only problem in doing this, is that they could obtain a court judgement using your last known UK address, which they then chase you at a new UK address when they find it. You may then find it difficult to challenge the amount of the court judgement.

If you are wanting more control over repayment of the debt for the correct amount, it might be easier to stay in contact with the creditors. Therefore contact them when you return to reside in the UK and to enter into communications regarding the amounts. You can probably negotiate a settlement of the accounts over a period of time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Great buddy @renegadeimp... Thank you so much all of those who replied and all those who help people here with difficulties.

If they contact me which is highly unlikely coz i am not getting any contract in my name or any property, but if they do, i will be back here for help..

Bless u all

Dont send them anything at all. Forget about them and get on with your life. Let them find you when you get back. If they even bother to find you.

The only problem with this advice, is that in recent years creditors are much more likely to obtain CCJ's just using the last known UK address. If you don't stay in contact with creditors, it is then really difficult to get any judgement set aside. Having CCJ's may present more of problem for NAV85 than a few unpaid debts on their credit record.

I think the recent advice has been therefore to stay in contact with creditors. Strictly speaking creditors should not then apply to a UK court for judgement, if they know the debtor is abroad and cannot defend.

@uncle bulgaria, now i am slightly confused as some say contact them while some say dont contact them and let them find you... if i am not getting any contracts or properties in my name, nor will i register in any credit check company, how will they find me then, i hope bank wont give my details out or the company i will work for....Almost 1.6 years have passed since i left and it will be almost 3 years when i m planning to go to UK permanently. In that case they might have already got a court judgement

@uncle bulgaria, now i am slightly confused as some say contact them while some say dont contact them and let them find you... if i am not getting any contracts or properties in my name, nor will i register in any credit check company, how will they find me then, i hope bank wont give my details out or the company i will work for....Almost 1.6 years have passed since i left and it will be almost 3 years when i m planning to go to UK permanently. In that case they might have already got a court judgement

It is really your choice. Debt collection Agencies (DCA) are getting much better at finding people. It is VERY difficult to be in the UK and not to have your address registered somewhere.

What tends to happen, is that debts get chased for a couple of years to the last known address. They then eventually give up and the debt is sold to a DCA. The DCA will then try to trace you and they will send letters to the UK address they can find. After awhile of not getting a response, the debt could well be subject to a court claim using your last known UK address. If you did not know anything about it, because you did not receive it, they will gain a default judgement against you, which would be very difficult to have set aside.

If these were small debts, I would say don't bother. But after a few years these debts will increase and I would not want you to find out in say 3 years that you have large court judgements against you, which you struggle with. If you were not returning to the UK, I would say don't bother to remain in contact with creditors.

My debt is about 2000 pounds. Shall i write to Capital One UK head office or debt collection office.

CapOne UK head office address.

The problem with companies such as CapOne is that they will add large amounts of interest to the account. I don't want you to have a nasty surprise in a few years time, when they catch up with you. It might be better to stay in contact, so you can try to deal with it as best as you can.

When did you originally actually take out the CapOne account ?

It is really your choice. Debt collection Agencies (DCA) are getting much better at finding people. It is VERY difficult to be in the UK and not to have your address registered somewhere.

What tends to happen, is that debts get chased for a couple of years to the last known address. They then eventually give up and the debt is sold to a DCA. The DCA will then try to trace you and they will send letters to the UK address they can find. After awhile of not getting a response, the debt could well be subject to a court claim using your last known UK address. If you did not know anything about it, because you did not receive it, they will gain a default judgement against you, which would be very difficult to have set aside.

If these were small debts, I would say don't bother. But after a few years these debts will increase and I would not want you to find out in say 3 years that you have large court judgements against you, which you struggle with. If you were not returning to the UK, I would say don't bother to remain in contact with creditors.

There is a way to deal with this. Like i said before... Best bet is to 1st get your credit file. See who the accounts are currently with IE... Cap One - Lowell.

Once you have this, then you can direct your letters accordingly. I agree with both sides here.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

There is a way to deal with this. Like i said before... Best bet is to 1st get your credit file. See who the accounts are currently with IE... Cap One - Lowell.

Once you have this, then you can direct your letters accordingly. I agree with both sides here.

If they are resident abroad, I think they can only get their credit record by a postal application with proof of identity. I don't think Noodle or Experian will allow a sign up from abroad. Experian have a process for applying for a copy of the credit record via the statutory application which I think costs £2.

If they apply for a credit record when in the UK, they would have to provide a UK residential address.

I have had capital one credit card since 2011 I think. All was going fine and i never defaulted any payments untill i had a big family problem back home and I had to leave in emergency and took some cash out of credit card as i had little saving in bank. Then i missed payments from january 2013 and started to receive emails from them and later from Debt collection agencies. I ignored them altogether. Now even debt collectors have stopped sending emails....

Regarding O2, i had 2 contracts in 2012... never missed any payments there as well till i had to leave in emergency... Even most of the stuff i kept at my friends home there...