Hillards v Citi Cards (PPI) ** Successful Claim "

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I did a SAR to Citi and they've sent the info, although they have duplicated quite a few months statements for some reason,

not by accident, they have ascending page numbers.

I'm about to send in a PPI claim and have taken note on other threads that Citi have refused to uphold claims on cards taken out pre 2005.

Mine started in 2002 and was closed in 2006.

The application form clearly shows that I was self-employed at the time and I was not told anything about suitability of the policy or alternatives,

those are the grounds I'm using to make the claim.

Total PPI paid was £252.76 and the StatIntSheet101 gives me a total of £200.72 at 8% so that's £453.48,

of which I'll have to donate £40.14 to the taxman.

I've no idea what associated interest there would be, so that's to add in yet.

I'm just sending the FOS sheet to them, let them work it out and make an offer, or refusal.

I noted somewhere that a letter to the CEO was required

- if anyone can fill me in on the details please ?

I think I may need to do the same if they play silly beggers.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Was your card originally Associates or Citicard?

The associated interest would probably have been around 29.9

Hold tight on sending your letter,

I have the exact t&cs that made it more onerous for the s/e to claim unemployment ppi from 2002

Will look up and let you know later today

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

ok, the exact t&cs from 2002

"If you were previously Self Employed"

Cover applies in the event of bankruptcy, liquidation or official termination of self employed status due to

failure of business. Temporary cessation of trading or periods of unemployment due to shortage of work

are not covered.

Evidence of cessation must be provided.

this is clearly a term more onerous than for someone employed, since you would have to

cease self employment entirely in order to qualify for the unen benefits

hence the policy was unsuitable for your needs

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Thanks for the feedback. It was a CITI card.

The documents they've sent from the SAR give various figures from 27.9% to 31.8% APR.

At present I'm only sending a FOS questionnaire to them, see what they come back with. If they refuse to uphold the claim, then it gets interesting :-)

At the time I went to sign on I didn't get any benefits paid due to the previous self employment, I just had to keep signing on for NI credits. I have no doubt that the DWP will have a record if required.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

yes the average will be approx 29.9% for use in your own calcs

they paid me near enough to the penny of my calcs using 29.9

I was s/e and the above was the reasoning I used

but took nearly 2 years of letter writing to suceed

Hi there Hillards,

Sorry to interrupt your thread. I'm in the process of sending a SAR to Citi Cards and wanted to ask what address you sent your data request to.

Like you, I signed up for this credit card back in 2002, but was in temporary employment at the time. I knew nothing about PPI at the time but have found that it was automatically added to my account.

Many thanks

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

I've not heard anything from them to acknowledge that they are dealing with my request so I've just emailed them at [email protected] to check.

I note from maroondevo52 's thread (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?427288-Citi-Associates-Credit-Card-PPI-***RESULT***) that it was only a week or from sending the request to getting an acknowledgement, hence getting a bit worried after 4 weeks.

Grump! Not even had a reply to the email. Now getting frustrated at the lack of communication from Citi. Any suggestions please ?

You can never tell with citi

As post no5

Took letter to chief exec to resolve

Finally, a letter from Citi. Dated Oct 23rd, just to say they are looking into my complaint. It says they will write to me again 4 weeks from the date they received my complaint. I sent them the FOS form on Sept 19th, I emailed on 17th October, so guess it's the email they've responded to.

I sent the FOS PPI questionnaire to the PO Box 49920, London address, the same as I had done for the SAR. I later saw, in the Citi website, that I should have sent it to Worthing, but they wouldn't just chuck it in the bin would they ? It was because I had had no acknowledgement that I emailed. The letter does not mention PPI, just 'your complaint'.

• 3 weeks later...

Letter from Citi, reminding me it's 4 weeks since they received my complaint - oh no it's not, I sent it on Sept 19th ! :x

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, at last.

A letter from Citi to tell me they have upheld my PPI complaint and are offering £618.56 after the taxman gets a share, £671.28 was the total redress.

Because they've worked out interest on premiums applied it works out higher than my original spreadsheet total. Needless to say, offer accepted and just waiting for the cheque (within 20 working days) :-)

I'll update this when the cheque arrives and has cleared so the thread title can be updated.

Next step will be a claim for repayment of charges, overlimit and late payment fees etc, from 2003-2006, same account. These started out at £20 each, went up to £25 each and the last few were £12 each. I'll start a new thread when I have cleared the PPI. £455 of the PPI redress will be spent on court fees.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheque arrived today. Will advise when this clears so thread title can be updated :-)

Excellent news, hillards.. nice little Christmas present for you :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This now follows on with a claim for refund of charges - new thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?438528-Hillards-v-Citi-Cards-(charges)(12-Viewing)-nbsp

Excellent news, hillards.. nice little Christmas present for you :)

Sort of, I'm having to keep the repayment to one side ready to pay court fees on the next stage, I've just posted a link to the new thread. :-)