Advice on Harlands cancellation

Syntha6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

After just reading all the annoying Harlands stories

I want to get myself prepared for cancelling my membership with them.

The contract stipulates ;

• Once you have completed the minimum number of direct debit payments you can cancel your automatic renewal payments

by contacting our helpline (you should give us not less than 30 days notice).

My minimum number of payments is 11,

this payment will be due on 28th

I haven't given 30 days notice, as I've just become aware thanks to this forum of what they get up to,

I first tried calling their helpline which I quickly realised is useless

I've emailed them to which i haven't had a response.

I just want to know what I should or expect them to say before they begin their con merchant tactics.

Thanks

Hi Syntha and welcome to CAG

What brand of gym is this with ?

Don't try calling or emailing Harlands at all and use posted letters only. Then you have a proper papertrail.

Did you pay the first month's fee by card, cash or cheque, leaving the next 11 payments to be made by the DD mandate.

Is the 11th DD payment due on 28th September. If so, you can take a cancellation letter to the gym saying, "I hereby give notice to cancel when my 12 month membership ends."

Take 2 copies of the letter to the gym and leave one with them. Get a staff member to sign and date the 2nd copy so you have a receipt and keep this safely. So long as you do this before the 11th payment is due, your cancellation will be in time. After the 11th DD is paid, cancel the DD mandate by instructing your bank.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick

Thank you so much.

It's called Kearns Gym don't believe it is a chain, I haven't enquired in the gym yet as I imagine they will just fob me off and after reading all previous posts I kinda panicked.

I paid the first payment by card and yes after checking when they took my first payment the 11th is due 28th September. I shall follow your advice, thanks so much for your assistance, much appreciated.

Oh I didn't mention that it was a 12 month contract so although I'm at payment 11, I joined the gym on 7 November 2013, wouldn't I wait until that month to cancel the DD mandate ?

Hi Syntha and welcome to CAG

What brand of gym is this with ?

Don't try calling or emailing Harlands at all and use posted letters only. Then you have a proper papertrail.

Did you pay the first month's fee by card, cash or cheque, leaving the next 11 payments to be made by the DD mandate.

Is the 11th DD payment due on 28th September. If so, you can take a cancellation letter to the gym saying, "I hereby give notice to cancel when my 12 month membership ends."

Take 2 copies of the letter to the gym and leave one with them. Get a staff member to sign and date the 2nd copy so you have a receipt and keep this safely. So long as you do this before the 11th payment is due, your cancellation will be in time. After the 11th DD is paid, cancel the DD mandate by instructing your bank.

Edited by Syntha6

Hi Syntha,

Get the letter handed in to the gym in the next 7 days and make sure you get the 2nd copy signed and dated.

If the staff member refuses to sign as asked, just make a note of their name on the copy letter, and write down the time and date you left the letter at the gym.

Keep us informed and don't be surprised if Harlands deny that you ever cancelled !! Gyms and their Admin Co's have a terrible "habit" of losing such letters.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Slick

Just received a reply from Harlands to my original email

Dear Mr,

We thank you for your recent email.

We can confirm that we have marked your account as Non-renew. Therefore your final payment will be collected on the 28th September 2014. You may use the gym until the 27th October 2014.

Hi Syntha,

As long as you pay a total of 12 instalments (initial card payment plus 11 DD pay'ts), that's fine.

Good that Harlands have replied as per your post #6. However, you should still give the letter to the gym as described above. It may seem like Belt and Braces but, with Harlands, I'd take no chances.