Scottish Power complaints staff are useless

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Feb 2014 I transferred from First Utility to Scottish Power,

having been told by "The Big London Energy Switch" that SP could handle readings from my electricity Smart Meter.

It quickly became clear that they could not, we switched back to First Utility.

Scottish Power had garbled our meter number, claiming we did not have the electricity Smart Meter!

They also failed to agree transfer readings, resulting in a 74kWh overcharge where both companies charged for that block of electricity.

They know what the correct meter readings were.

After numerous complaints,

which never get dealt with, a

nd my wife spending several hours on the phone over the past four months, I am considering Court action.

What is a reasonable amount to expect as compensation for the ongoing delay and incompetence?

Hi,

If I was in your position,

I would write a formal letter of complaint to them (trying to get any sense out of these companies over the phone

almost invariably proves to be a fool's errand, as your wife can testify).

Send it by recorded delivery ('signed for') and allow them a reasonable amount of time to respond.

If you paid for the 74kwh you did not owe them,

enclose a copy of the bill from First Utility or some other evidence that you have paid them for that electricity

(a decent supplier ought to be able to help with that, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any assistance from First).

If you get no response or reach 'deadlock' (i.e. they refuse to acknowledge or resolve the problem):

make a complaint to the ombudsman (OFGEM).

If OFGEM uphold your complaint,

they will usually specify how much, if any, compensation you are entitled to.

While they have the power to compel Scottish Power to resolve the problem and pay the compensation, they do not enforce their rulings.

If Scottish Power refuse to comply, this is the point at which court action on your part is most appropriate.

You can then make a claim in the Small Claims Court for whatever OFGEM have ruled you are entitled to

+ reasonable costs (incl. legal costs + your time).

If you have the OFGEM ruling behind you, they really have no defence.

Consult the OFGEM website for proper details of what should be done before making your complaint to them, including the appropriate waiting times etc.

Searching this site should yield plenty of information on appropriate legal costs and charges for your time etc. to add to your court claim.

Also see the MCOL (Money Claim Online) website for details on how to make your claim,

if you intend to do it yourself (used to be part of the HMCS website but seems to have been incorporated into the .gov.uk one, now).

Hope this helps and best of luck...

Thanks. The matter is already with the Ombudsman, but we are finding it difficult to get all the evidence ready for them. Interestingly this CAG website had displayed a box - right across your post - about not having much faith in the service!

I am familiar with MCOL, having put HSBC through the system earlier this year over unlawful bank charges, and also Vanquis in 2012.

Will discuss next move with my wife.

Cheers

Arthur