Help With Numerous Debts & Problems :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

my daughter who has bipolar

got into a relationship 15 months ago with

what we now know to have been a controlling, manipulating serial criminal

he is now behind bars for burglary

my daughter is in court this week charged with handling stolen goods,

this is a complete nightmare,

I have been visiting the police, mental health, GP etc for over a year voicing my concerns,

as I have not been allowed contact,

her phone was taken off her and

she as not been allowed to answer the door to me,

they told me they could not discuss things with me to the data protection act.

I now know my daughter had not kept any appointments with her GP or mental health

and therefore is not taking her Lithium for her bipolar.

My daughter who was a quiet law abiding person till June 2013,

is now seriously in debt no bills have been paid for months.

She also as a drug addiction.

I have numerous appointments this week to see different professionals

concerning her health & now her soon to be criminal record.

Her car as been crushed, she as nothing of value left. She only had an overdraft before this man took over her life.

My daughter is in ESA support group and has been for 2 years, she receives mid rate care DLA & low rate mobility.

Debt collectors have written from

sky, wonga, money shop, nat west credit card, 02,

admiral car insurance, rac insurance, overdraft nat west, tv licence,

An attachment of earnings form as come from the water company this was received 11-9-14

this has to be back in within 14 days.

She has a charge certificate for a parking fine

I filled in a witness statement after advice as baliffs were on verge of calling

they said the case is on hold pending my statement arriving

There is a conditional offer of fixed penalty for a driving offence this as to be returned by 4/10/14

She also has to have a defence go in by Tuesday as she as a rapid repossession order for her landlord

to take back her house,

I have had to fill this back in with advice off a landlord friend as the Law Centre cannot see me till Friday.

I feel overwhelmed by everything as I have a disabled husband

and nephew to care for I simply do not know where to start the debts total around £8,700.

I would appreciate any help as I am at a loss right now what to do next.

I longed for the day I would see my daughter again but now I have her back with her life in tatters :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

god I feel for you and her.

have you tried CAB and the other mental health charities to get legal advise moving?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think you might need to speak to someone at shelter regarding the eviction, Laura..

0808 800 4444

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You are definately going to need some help - CAB. You need to prioritise the issues and list the ones that you can resolve. Ask CAB for help on the issues you feel will be tough for you to resolve. Then concentrate on the issues you can resolve.

Then just ask CAB for an update on the issues they are dealing with.

Set up a folder, sectioned off with each issue.

Also contact your local council, they have social workers who can help and support you.

How awful for you and tragic for your daughter. I appreciate you want to help and support your daughter but please remember that these debts aren't yours, so don't even think of taking them on.

Is your daughter open to accepting your help and resume medical appointments etc to try and get back on track?

The attachment of earnings is meaningless as your daughter isn't working so don't worry too much about that, although of course the debt still exists.

Is your daughter getting all the benefits she's entitled to like housing and council tax benefits now her bf is locked away?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

How awful for you and tragic for your daughter. I appreciate you want to help and support your daughter but please remember that these debts aren't yours, so don't even think of taking them on.

Is your daughter open to accepting your help and resume medical appointments etc to try and get back on track?

The attachment of earnings is meaningless as your daughter isn't working so don't worry too much about that, although of course the debt still exists.

Is your daughter getting all the benefits she's entitled to like housing and council tax benefits now her bf is locked away?

Yes housing aware of everything filled in a housing application in last week at the Council but said it could take 3 weeks for them to even acknowledge it, told landlord he not have any problems off off daughter now the problem as gone!!!

No they are not my debts but as she is in no fit state to see to them I feel at liberty to help, I cannot believe the mess she is in she has never left bills unpaid in her life.

My daughter is already accepting medical help she as appointments all week we have been to one today.

Need help and advice as to what to do about the bills she has unpaid especially this Wonga and Money Shop, this swine that as gone to prison cleverly made sure all debts are in her name, I suppose he could not get credit neither can she now thanks to him!!!

IMHO, it would be in your interest to speak to National Debtline - if you let them know what has happened, they will help you produce an Income & Expenditure sheet for your daughter - presumably this would show that she has no or very little income with priority expenditure by way of rent/council tax/court fines and utility bills - that Pay Day Loans will be way down the pecking order.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

IMHO, it would be in your interest to speak to National Debtline - if you let them know what has happened, they will help you produce an Income & Expenditure sheet for your daughter - presumably this would show that she has no or very little income with priority expenditure by way of rent/council tax/court fines and utility bills - that Pay Day Loans will be way down the pecking order.

Agree completely.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks does her DLA get taken for the debts would anyone know

Thanks does her DLA get took for the debts would anyone know

NO DLA is to live on

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks everyone for all the advice

got help from a landlord friend on the eviction front

he said landlord as cocked up as he has not reprotected the deposit forms gone into court and seeing Law Centre Friday.

Went back to the County Court today

the staff are second to none

they filled the court papers in from the water board and said

"They can`t get blood out of a stone the case will be dismissed"

When I get some more spare time I will see someone about the remaining debts,

the lady at the court said my daughters DLA cannot be taken into account for the debts.

Been in touch with a few charities

no offer of help yet,

going to contact Severn Trent they will probably write the debt off

and also help buy an electrical appliance

strange that they are chasing daughter to recover the debt

but will probably then write it off they are a good charity.

I helped out with equalities at my local Council friends their seeing what strings they can pull to help.

Not seen anyone from Social Services but intend to

Mental Health are a sad dissapointment

my daughter is under their team the Dr in charge is a totel waste of time

he always refuses to help

he never supplies supporting letters for ESA or anything

I feel like reporting him

I have complained a few times to my GP about him

they have contacted him recently to tell him he needs to see my daughter as she should be on Lithium

and has not been on it since April as this man who as been controlling her stopped her seeing Dr`s or anyone

Daughter appeared at the Magistrates Court today

she was committed to Crown Court tomorrow!!!

for handling stolen goods that this man stole

will be glad if ever we see the light at the end of the tunnel

my daughter is my youngest of four

the last 15 months has been horrendous for the family

not knowing how she was what she was doing if she was suffering

I complained to my MP about no one doing anything everyone has passed the buck.

Though I am very hurt about what she has been put through and that she is going to have a criminal record,

and that her excellent credit history is now trashed

I am also so relieved to see her again spend time with her and take care of her

and have to remain optimistic that I can get my daughter back on the road to recovery

• 1 month later...

Just a courtesy update Daughter is slowly rebuilding her life,

she is due to be sentenced on Wednesday for handling 2 stolen items

the man she was involved with I am told will receive a lengthy sentence.

Majority of people she owes debts to have written them off including parking penalties, bailiffs cancelled.

Courts and some not counting DLA as income yet some others are,

wrote to a few charities who need referrals from such as CAB they count DLA as income.

Want to now write to get some bank charges back

anyone got a good template to recommend,

the bank charges are leaving her in hardship and have been the cause of deepening her problems

as she not had money to pay debts because of charges so it as created a vicious circle.

Mental Health are back taking care of her and good support from GP so all in all things are easing and moving forward.

I challenged the eviction with her landlord on the "Superstrike" case law

that my daughters deposit had not been re protected after the last repossession notice was served last year the reserved.

I am currently striking up a deal with the landlord to avoid him having to pay my daughter 3 x her deposit in compensation

for not serving the eviction notice correctly she is safe till January till this deal is finalised.

The council can only offer a 1 bedroomed flat as she is single and that would not be in our area

where she needs family support and the support of the Mental Health team there.

Once again thanks for the fantastic support of CAG and it`s members who have been a life line to me at times :)

Hi Laura Cooke

You need to personilze the template below. Banks don't like templates.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1598441/Reclaiming-bank-charges-How-reclaim-fees.html

(Your name and address)

(Name and address of bank)

(Date)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account number:

I am writing to reclaim all bank charges on my account(s) (since X date, when you believe you entered financial hardship). I am unhappy that these charges have been applied to my account and in this letter I am registering my complaint and I request that you immediately stop applying further charges to my account.

I need you consider my case as a matter of urgency as I believe I am in financial hardship. This is because (state reasons: i.e. you are unable to meet priority financial commitments including, but not limited to, council tax, food and utility bills. If your income includes benefits state what they are, and give details of any circumstances which have changed recently i.e loss of job, relationship breakdown, serious illness, stating how this has affected your financial situation.) I attach evidence to show my monthly income and outgoings.

I therefore request that you repay all my default charges since (X date) which total (X amount).

Under the FCA guidelines, (name of bank) has 8 weeks to resolve my complaint. I trust that you will deal with my case within this period. If not, I will refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

I look forward to receiving a full response to this letter within 14 days

Yours faithfully,

Signature

(PRINTED NAME)

You should also include the following documents:

EVIDENCE OF INCOME/ OUTGOINGS

A COPY OF YOUR BANK CHARGES

EVIDENCE OF BENEFIT ENTITLEMENT

no

dx

and they

no they should know dla is for the person not bills

dx

and they

Righty oh will fill in now to the bank and leave off the DLA agree with you but so confusing put in for some grants they count the DLA yet the courts when filling expenditure and income forms in do not count it and the clerk said no one should as it is a benefit specifically for your disabled needs thanks dx really appreciate your prompt response :)

Righty oh will fill in now to the bank and leave off the DLA agree with you but so confusing put in for some grants they count the DLA yet the courts when filling expenditure and income forms in do not count it and the clerk said no one should as it is a benefit specifically for your disabled needs thanks dx really appreciate your prompt response :)

Missed asking something once I have filled in the expenditure and income form for the bank where shall I send it? local branch or head office? anyone got address for Nat West head office?

Send it Recorded Delivery to their Registered Office:-

NatWest

Registered Office

135 Bishopsgate

London

EC2M 3UR.

Missed asking something once I have filled in the expenditure and income form for the bank where shall I send it? local branch or head office? anyone got address for Nat West head office?

Hi Laura

New to this thread but wanted to wish you well in your efforts to resolve your daughter's problems. Sounds like a truly horrible situation.

On a practical note, it is true that different organisations and creditors have varying approaches to DLA on budget forms. There is no single "correct" way for you to respond, but I would suggest that if you list the DLA income figure, but also list the equivalent figure as "disability-related costs" under Expenditure, it is very hard for anyone to argue that information has been withheld.

Dennis

@natdebtline

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org