• Tweets

• did you submit your directions
    • They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TKMaxx - Swapped Prices - What will happen please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

A friend of mine put some clearance stickers over two full prices pairs I jeans and attempted to pay for them. The clerk noticed and peeled off the red stickers and asked her colleague to check whether the original price had been discounted. My friend played dumb and was never asked nor accused of swapping by the clerk and she then went on to purchase one pair of the jeans (at full price) as well as some other items she intended to buy (also at full price) and then walked out of the store with no one following to apprehend her.

My friend saw the clerk write something down on a notepad with various headings. She thinks it was details of the items but can't be sure. The book had other entries, assuming many others have tried the same.

My question is.. As they didn't apprehend her then, but did know that the prices were changed, can they review CCTV footage and have her arrested by the police? It wouldn't be that hard for them to find surely as the clerk may have made a note of the time when it happened...?

My friend is sick with worry that the police are going to knock on her door or put her picture in the local paper for identification.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there

A friend of mine put some clearance stickers over two full prices pairs I jeans and attempted to pay for them. The clerk noticed and peeled off the red stickers and asked her colleague to check whether the original price had been discounted. My friend played dumb and was never asked nor accused of swapping by the clerk and she then went on to purchase one pair of the jeans (at full price) as well as some other items she intended to buy (also at full price) and then walked out of the store with no one following to apprehend her.

My friend saw the clerk write something down on a notepad with various headings. She thinks it was details of the items but can't be sure. The book had other entries, assuming many others have tried the same.

My question is.. As they didn't apprehend her then, but did know that the prices were changed, can they review CCTV footage and have her arrested by the police? It wouldn't be that hard for them to find surely as the clerk may have made a note of the time when it happened...?

My friend is sick with worry that the police are going to knock on her door or put her picture in the local paper for identification.

In which retail outlet did this incident occur?

The TK Maxx Loss Prevention Manager who started this thread advised that TK Maxx wait for alleged shoplifters to commit two offences before doing anything about it. Being a former policeman, I have serious doubts as to the lawfulness of such a practice. Certainly, a legal professional would challenge it if a case ever went to court.

Unless they physically witnessed your friend change the labels with their own eyes - CCTV footage alone is not enough - it would be difficult for them to justify contacting the police. If your friend did not succeed in obtaining a pecuniary advantage - a discount - without actually seeing them change the labels, it is difficult for TK Maxx to do anything.

As for T K Maxx putting people's photos in local newspapers, unless they have irrefutable evidence of any criminal offence, they would be very unwise to do so. A convenience store, near to where I live, put up photos of people they "believed" had stolen from their shop in the window, facing outwards. When someone they accused threatened them with legal action, they made the mistake of claiming the police told them to do it. The person then checked with the police who paid the retailer a visit and ordered them to take the photos out of the window.

The TK Maxx Loss Prevention Manager who started this thread advised that TK Maxx wait for alleged shoplifters to commit two offences before doing anything about it. Being a former policeman, I have serious doubts as to the lawfulness of such a practice. Certainly, a legal professional would challenge it if a case ever went to court.

I read this with interest.

I notice from your profile that as well as your police background you also have psychic abilities, is this what you refer to here ?

You actually slap the cuffs on before they commit the offence, a quantum leap in law enforcement no doubt.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I read this with interest.

I notice from your profile that as well as your police background you also have psychic abilities, is this what you refer to here ?

You actually slap the cuffs on before they commit the offence, a quantum leap in law enforcement no doubt.

You don't happen to post on another advice website, albeit under another username, by any chance? Your style of posting seems very familiar.

You don't happen to post on another advice website, albeit under another username, by any chance? Your style of posting seems very familiar.

Psychic ability playing up a bit there, possibly :)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Unless they physically witnessed your friend change the labels with their own eyes - CCTV footage alone is not enough - it would be difficult for them to justify contacting the police. If your friend did not succeed in obtaining a pecuniary advantage - a discount - without actually seeing them change the labels, it is difficult for TK Maxx to do anything.

As for T K Maxx putting people's photos in local newspapers, unless they have irrefutable evidence of any criminal offence, they would be very unwise to do so. A convenience store, near to where I live, put up photos of people they "believed" had stolen from their shop in the window, facing outwards. When someone they accused threatened them with legal action, they made the mistake of claiming the police told them to do it. The person then checked with the police who paid the retailer a visit and ordered them to take the photos out of the window.

Thanks very much for your response. It's much appreciated.

Dodgeball I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if she goes back in there with legitimate intentions that they can have her arrested even if she hasn't committed a second offence?

Windr, your probably best to start your own thread to discuss your friends problem in more detail

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Dodgeball I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if she goes back in there with legitimate intentions that they can have her arrested even if she hasn't committed a second offence?

They can ask her to leave. If she doesnt, then they MIGHT call the police, but the police would only respond for a breach of the peace. If she is recognised and asked to leave, its best to leave quietly and then nothing further will happen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi there

No I merely wondered how the security staff were to pursue a theft if it had not yet occurred. It eems commons sense that they would wait until the offense was committed before they would act.

As far as the incident here is concerned there is no need for any worry, there was no criminal offence committed, the only possible action would be interference to goods, which is a civil tort, however since there are no demonstrable damages involved there would be no actionable tort.

I think your friend is worrying unnecessarily.

No I merely wondered how the security staff were to pursue a theft if it had not yet occurred. It eems commons sense that they would wait until the offense was committed before they would act.

As far as the incident here is concerned there is no need for any worry, there was no criminal offence committed, the only possible action would be interference to goods, which is a civil tort, however since there are no demonstrable damages involved there would be no actionable tort.

I think your friend is worrying unnecessarily.

Except you refer to theft, where the intent to permanently deprive has to be out into effect (eg by leaving the store)

Fraud by false representation doesn't need to succeed for the offence to be made out.

The OP's friend couldn't successfully be prosecuted for theft.

A prosecution for fraud by false representation or for attempted theft might well succeed.

Not on this world, such a charge would never be brought under these circumstances.

Police would not be interested.

Not on this world, such a charge would never be brought under these circumstances.

Police would not be interested.

Why not?

I accept it may not ever reach the CPS: but it would likely meet the CPS prosecution guidelines : in public interest to pursue, and reasonable prospect of successful prosecution .

Why not?

I accept it may not ever reach the CPS: but it would likely meet the CPS prosecution guidelines : in public interest to pursue, and reasonable prospect of successful prosecution .

You think it would be in the public interest to spend money prospecting in a case like this ? As said not in this world.

You think it would be in the public interest to spend money prospecting in a case like this ? As said not in this world.

Depends ..... Fare dodging isn't the crime of the century, yet it is still in the public interest to prosecute.

There must be a balance between the scale of the offence and the scale to which it is occurring.

If an offence is widespread, it may still be in the public interest to avoid a tacit admission of "its not for very much, so we'll accept it happens and let it slide"

Thank you all very much for your responses. I've told her to avoid that tk maxx for a while. I've also recommended she seek some legal advice if she's really that worried; however, as it is her first offence and she was unsuccessful at it she might not really have that much to worry about. Just hope she never does I again. I think she missed her mess that day as it's very unlike her.

Thanks again!

She doesnt need to waste money on any legal advice. Nothing will happen. Just ignore RLP, wait a few months and carry on.

One thing i have to ask is why is she so desperate to continue shopping in a terrible store?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 months later...

I don't come on here as often as I should it seems.

oldbill spewing out stuff he has no idea about. Claiming all sorts of things about 'wont ever get past a courtroom' etc etc, when its been tried, tested, and weekly cases go to court and get found guilty.

However, those sheets the OP talks about, is simply a method of recording the fact they have detected a switched ticket.

It does go to loss prevention, but its simply an indicator of the level of crime going on inside a store, s

o they can plan more people / less people in the stores. They do the same with empty packaging and found security tags.

With regard to the '2 offences' thing I have spoken about before

- this is only for refund fraud, NOT ticket switching.

If loss prevention saw it on camera, followed them to the till on camera,

saw the sale take place and the cashier being deceived into thinking that's the correct price,

then they would of made the stop when the transaction was completed,

and your friend would of been taken into the holding room, and the police called.

I would keep away from the store for a while, as if the cashier sees your friend again,

they will call the cctv room, and your friend may end up being followed on camera whilst in the store.

If they never do anything silly again, then no issues. If they do, then the above may result.

I don't come on here as often as I should it seems.

oldbill spewing out stuff he has no idea about. Claiming all sorts of things about 'wont ever get past a courtroom' etc etc, when its been tried, tested, and weekly cases go to court and get found guilty.

Actually, I do know what I am talking about, Maxxer. And as for cases being "tried, tested and go to court and get found guilty weekly", I would say that those who have had success with such cases have been lucky so far. There are significant issues involving the equitable jurisdiction of the courts in a lot of cases, especially in the magistrates courts, with too many JPs in some areas simply rubber-stamping what the police tell them without doing what they are supposed to do and that is to weigh and test the evidence put before them. What is needed is better-quality training and far stricter vetting of security staff and for police officers to learn the law and not make it up as they go along, something which is rife within the police service.

However, those sheets the OP talks about, is simply a method of recording the fact they have detected a switched ticket. It does go to loss prevention, but its simply an indicator of the level of crime going on inside a store, so they can plan more people / less people in the stores. They do the same with empty packaging and found security tags.

With regard to the '2 offences' thing I have spoken about before - this is only for refund fraud, NOT ticket switching. If loss prevention saw it on camera, followed them to the till on camera, saw the sale take place and the cashier being deceived into thinking that's the correct price, then they would of made the stop when the transaction was completed, and your friend would of been taken into the holding room, and the police called. I find this somewhat "unusual". Does not EPOS rely on a central server with relevant pricing information stored upon it and is it not open to the cashier to check a price with a supervisor?

I would keep away from the store for a while, as if the cashier sees your friend again, they will call the cctv room, and your friend may end up being followed on camera whilst in the store. If they never do anything silly again, then no issues. If they do, then the above may result.

Responses in red text. Sorry, Maxxer, I do not know who has been training TK Maxx's Loss Prevention personnel, but some of the practices you highlight would be open to challenge and, quite possibly, brought into question if a skilful lawyer who knew their job decided to pull evidence apart during cross-examination.

Responses in red text. Sorry, Maxxer, I do not know who has been training TK Maxx's Loss Prevention personnel, but some of the practices you highlight would be open to challenge and, quite possibly, brought into question if a skilful lawyer who knew their job decided to pull evidence apart during cross-examination.

Please old bill, you seem very knowledgeable in these matters and I would highly appreciate some advice from you on a similar matter I have posted on this forum.

Many thanks in advance!

Please old bill, you seem very knowledgeable in these matters and I would highly appreciate some advice from you on a similar matter I have posted on this forum.

Many thanks in advance!

Could you provide a link, please?