• Tweets

• Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses."   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
    • Trump was unable to make it through the first day of court without falling asleep on Monday, which sparked a whole host of jokes, memes and even a new nickname, 'Dozy Don'    
    • The shift to card and contactless technology in the past decade has been rapid - not just in Britain, but in all sorts of remote pockets of the world. This is yet a further sign of it.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Virgin Media - moved house cancellation charges

Mike1983
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue recently whereby I was charged £237 for cancelling my broadband and telephone services due to the new address not being suitable for their cable solution. They had no interest in supporting the new property. I complained to their complaints department but they did not change the bill. They also said they met OFCOM requirements. Be careful taking out services with Virgin. Their maximum contract termination fee is £240 - far too much in my opinion. I've switched to BT now.

Appears to be a legal glitch in their T&Cs upon anyone moving in contract...there is no exit route.....not the customers fault VM cant transfer to the new property...its theirs and could/should be legally challenged.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue and I wrote an email to the CEO's office and they did release from contract, however in my case I had been a customer for about 5 years and had recently agreed to a new 12 month deal for a cheaper price, I think it will be harder in your case as you haven't even completed 1 contract cycle with them but it would be worth a go.

Well done. Might be worth kicking up a fuss. For others who might be interested the following shows who to contact higher up at Virgin:

Tom Mockridge

Chief Executive Officer

Robert Dunn

Chief Financial Officer

Magnus Ternsjö

Chief Chief Executive Officer UPC Ireland

Paul Buttery

Chief Operating Officer

Gregor McNeil

Managing Director, Virgin Media Consumer

Peter Kelly

Managing Director, Virgin Media Business

Rob Evans

Chief Information, Network & Technology Officer

Maurice Daw

Chief People Officer

Brigitte Trafford

Chief Corporate Affairs Officer

The address being:

VIRGIN MEDIA LIMITED

Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UP

My advise would be for as many of us as we can get together to write to all of them. Also a letter to the regulator OFCOM to point out the problem to them.

• 8 months later...

I am in a similar position and I was told today by customer service that the contract is for service to THIS address only and so if I no longer want the service at this address then I am terminating the contract. They are under no obligation to provide the service at another address - that would be a new contract. A quick glance over from a legal friend suggests that this sounds about right - if you contract a builder to repair roof and then move to another property, he/she is not obliged to repair the roof at your new address without charging you for the previously agreed work. I can see the logic in this - however, as many on here, I believe that there cancellation charges are unjust and their losses cannot be justified. I do not accept that 'Virgin do not make any money out of you until after 2 years'. If the new tenant at my property signs up for Virgin, they do not lose any money yet they only offer a £50 reduction in the cancellation fee if I manage to persuade the new tenant to take Virgin (not likely!). I have written to the CEO with my complaint and will keep you updated but I would be VERY interested on joining together to challenge the legality of their contract as unreasonable or to try and force them to justify their charge as mitigated losses in court.

• 4 weeks later...

Same thing here today,

I find it more than unfair. And I only moved 200m away, they just probably didn't want to service the new building...

Did anyone of you get their money back?

I really don't want to give them 240£ because they are incompetent. I'd gladly stay with them and would retake them anytime, but if they charge me 240 for them not being able to provide service, then I'll never deal with such a company, and friends and family will be advised against it.

If you guys are looking at doing a class action, I'm in!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question. I have just been able to get my cancellation charges wavered. I am also moving home and complained that during the sales process I was specifically told I could move without consequence, which was absolutely true. I attach my formal letter of complaint below as it may be of help to others. I think this is an unfair practice by Virgin Media and aim to support others in their complaints. Good Luck and all the best.

Formal Letter of Complaint

Dear Sir/Madam,

In March this year I chose Virgin Media as my broadband supplier. When speaking with your representative about deals available, I specifically asked what would happen when I move home because I was aware at the time that I would be soon moving to London. I have a witness to this conversation and hopefully you will have a recording of it too. This was my main priority in choosing my service provider, it was imperative that the broadband could be taken with me to my new address and that I would not need to break to end the contract. At no point did your representative explain to me that should Virgin be unable to provide broadband at my new address, then I would have to pay out of the contract I had agreed to. There is absolutely no way at all I would have taken Virgin Broadband under the threat of a very large fee should I move address.

Even at the point of installation I discussed moving home with your installation person and he again assured me that moving services was easy and would be no issue at all. Again, I have a witness who was present who can corroborate this fact.

Now the time has come to move home and I have recently (6 June) discovered via your online chat tool that I will be charged approximately £240 to ‘end’ my contract.

Firstly, I do not want to end my contract, I would like to have your service at my new address. I have not requested to cancel the contract. I have requested to move service to a new address and you have stated that you have no coverage or infrastructure in that region and so are unable to provide the service to me.

I was expressly told when I spoke with your representative that moving home with Virgin Broadband was simple and easy and that my that broadband would simply transfer to my new address. That was not truthful. You have verbally stated only the benefits of this contract and not disclosed openly and verbally all hidden clauses or downside to the contract you put forward.

Your representative did speak of costs for terminating the contract. However, he limited the information he provided and failed to disclose a critical piece that would most certainly have seen me reject the service outright. When speaking of cancellation, he failed to disclose that there is situation that often happens whereby a termination of contract is ‘forced’ upon the customer if the customer moves home. To omit this detail is, especially given my stated intention to move home, is, I believe, a mis-selling of your product and a practice that serves only your company and not me, the customer.

I was advised that I could move home with Virgin Broadband and do so easily and without issue. This was a false and mis-leading promise. It would be great if your company offers your cable service to all addresses in UK. However, that not being possible, then it is only reasonable and fair, if you promise the ability to move home with your broadband, that you provide an alternative way of ensuring this is possible. On your complaint page it states that your broadband can even deliver down a phone line and so I am unsure why this has not been suggested as a solution? At the very least you should transfer the agreement to another provider without cost to the customer and certainly not with additional penalties.

You have a duty in the sales process to explicitly express this issue of moving services with your customers and not simply leave it unmentioned, especially upon being directly questioned regarding issues with moving home. This is not something that should be ‘hidden’ in the contract small-print.

I feel let down by Virgin Media and believe that this to be unfair code of practice.

I have stated to your representative that I am unwilling to pay to terminate my contract since I do not want to terminate it. I want to have the service that had been promised verbally when I agreed to take this contract with you.

I ask therefore that you uphold your promise to me that my broadband could move with me. As you are unable to do so via cable, then I feel it is only fair that you provide alternative solution without charge to me.

Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to receiving your response to my complaint and the actions you will take.

Yours truly,