• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Just asked ATOS to record my PIP assessment

squirrelly Whirley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I apologise if this is a re-run of a really old topic

This will be my first attempt to claim PIP. I've just phoned to ask ATOS Healthcare to record my assessment, which is due to take place next Wednesday. According to the call-centre worker I must provide my own recording equipment. I'm a little confused since I had an ESA medical back in February which was recorded using ATOS's own equipment.

I may be accused of paranoia, but I feel this is an attempt by ATOS to stop later claims of unprofessional behaviour by their own hcp.

There are no arrangements for PIP assessments to be recorded, unlike ESA.

Personally I would just record it on my phone or whatever, without telling them. Be aware that if you do this and they notice they can stop the assessment and, worst case, you can be accused of 'failing to cooperate' and be denied benefit.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

There are no arrangements for PIP assessments to be recorded, unlike ESA.

Personally I would just record it on my phone or whatever, without telling them. Be aware that if you do this and they notice they can stop the assessment and, worst case, you can be accused of 'failing to cooperate' and be denied benefit.

Thanks reallymadwoman - I was thinking of using a mobile phone to record it, but there was the mention that I would have to have two recordings - one for me and one for the nurse - at the end of the medical.

If you try to do an 'official' recording, you'll find they want you to use a machine that can simultaneously record two tapes/cds and is horrendously expensive. Anything else they will say is not sufficiently 'tamper-proof' and can't guarantee two identical recordings.

As I said, your only real option is to take the risk and record covertly.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

take a Dictaphone and place on table and ask if they mind you recording the interview , if they refuse (LIKELY) use a already activated 2nd covert recording app for your mobile, i use an android app called corgi its free, which i activate before i go in, as my phone is in a case they cant see phone screen, it works well, im sure there are many similar apps for other phones, i usually take wallet, keys and mobile out of pockets and place neatly in line on table, just claim it's OCD, or my brilliant excuse my trousers are tight and i dont want to split seems ... works like a charm.

Thanks Reallymadwoman and nexxusone for your replies. I was told of the ridiculous need to bring my own CD recorder which had to be able to make two records simultaneously. Frankly I'm horrified by the high cost. Why are we being asked to bring such an expensive recording device? We would only need to use it once, so the cost would be unjustifiable.

Apparently the organisation doing PIP medicals in Glasgow is an NHS subcontractor called SALUS working on behalf of ATOS. By not recording the medical, I feel SALUS could more easily turn the situation to their own advantage, and not that of the client. The full process should be completely transparent, for all to see.

I contacted my MP and spoke to one of his assistants. That was two days ago, I haven't had a response yet, but I'll wait til tomorrow before calling again for an update. My medical is next Wednesday, so I'll hope for a satisfactory resolution before then.

If you wish to use the recording for your own use only you neither need their permission to record it nor need to declare it.

So a recording would be useful to make very accurate notes but you would not be able to play it to any third party.

To be able to play it to a third party you Must declare you are doing so before hand and they have to approve of it.

Not sure if the above helps in anyway.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 4 months later...
If you wish to use the recording for your own use only you neither need their permission to record it nor need to declare it.

So a recording would be useful to make very accurate notes but you would not be able to play it to any third party.

To be able to play it to a third party you Must declare you are doing so before hand and they have to approve of it.

Not sure if the above helps in anyway.

Thats something we hear a lot. Is it true though?

In the past I've asked people to post links to some actual legislation, but never had a usefull response.

Would you be able to post a link to something verifying it?

Otherwise, it could just be one of those urban myths/assumptions that are always doing the rounds

I will start with covert recordings and employment disciplinary

Vaughan v London Borough of Lewisham

EAT made it clear that, while the practice of covert recordings was “very distasteful”, such recordings are not inadmissible merely because they have been obtained in a way that is discreditable.

Chairman and Governors of Amwell View School v Dogherty

An employment tribunal was not entitled to admit as evidence in unfair dismissal proceedings the claimant’s recordings of a disciplinary panel’s private deliberations, according to the EAT.

Garbett and others v Sierotko

This employment tribunal upheld the claims of three female shop workers that their male employer had sexually harassed them by secretly videoing their use of the shop’s toilet for his own sexual gratification

With Atos

when you have a consultation with Atos, you are discussion your own medical issues personal to you. So under the Data Protection Act 1998 recording that interview covertly you are simply processing your own Data. Any recording will be covered under:

Section 36 DPA 1998.

“Personal data processed by an individual only for the purposes of that individual’s personal, family or household affairs (including recreational purposes) are exempt from the data protection principles.”

“In essence, You can do what you wish with it,”

Now as ATOS are working on behalf of the DWP, Article 8 HRA (Privacy) comes into play being that the DWP is a public authority. Article 8 being a Qualified Right has a Derogation, but can only be used protect the rights of others, the community, prevention of crime and public safety. This must be necessary and proportionate

In my own opinion the DWP and ATOS have no lawful reason not to accept recordings in any format, covert or open under:

Article 8 HRA

Section 36 Data Protection Act 1998

THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION