Unicom and a product called Fraud Defender WATCH YOUR BILLS!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Unicom are currently deploying a product called Fraud Defender to all of its telecom accounts, although this is free for a trial period it then becomes chargeable. They add this to your account without your knowledge, notification or any consultation.

I only happened to spot it when checking my on-line billing and when I called them to opt out the length of call was unacceptable.

Regards

Chris

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

From what I have been able to attain it will cost you about £1.95/Month after your trial has expired. Not a lot I hear you say, true I reply but it's the principle that they are adding services to your account without your consent or knowledge and then charging you for the privilege.

Ok so it's £1.95 this month what comes next £4.99/Month for the TeleSales Tea Fund or £10.99 for the CEO's holiday.

What is "Fraud Defender" well in reality as far as I can see it is no more than access to a SQL Database or the like running a script looking for abnormal trends in your call patterns. So it is data they are already collecting just with a different script interrogating it, so if they have 100,000 customers as they report at £1.95/Month that equates to a pre-tax profit of some £2.3 Million, not bad for old rope.

If you find it appears on your Invoice or On-Line account and you feel it's not for you then ring up and cancel it, albeit the cancellation isn't easy.

• 2 months later...

I have just receivd my November bill from Titan Telecom and they are now doing the fraud defender charge of £1.49/month

On looking back it was on the September and October bills but there was a credit against it when you expand that line so it showed as £0.00.

Got a load of guff from there"Customer Services" about how they were monitoring the line for illegal use and I would be charged for any illegal use and he went on and on and on.

He could not give me a date when I had been told this charge was going on, only to say that it had been on previous 2 months at no charge when they had actually charged it and then credited it !!!

Never had a problem in the past so just waiting for a call back about somehing else (if it ever comes)and will then decide whether to take it off or not, really I can see no use except to increase their profits.

Most concerned that they are now putting charges on ad hoc, they have been so good in the past

Yes Titan Telecom is a subsidiary of Unicom as is Marble Telecom and they all deploy the same tricks and tactics, the reason they couldn't give you a date that they told you the charge was going on is because they didn't, they just added the service without your knowledge or consent; knowing that while it's free you're not going to complain. I'd be interested in how you get on with removing it if that is what you desire! I have heard of one case where Unicom are arguing where someone has noticed that this is now chargeable and they have been told that they had 60 days to cancel which they have now missed and this is now part of their contract. There is a clause in the contract that gives them the right to vary the contract as they desire!!!!