Bathroom installation has taken more than 5 months. Should I be compensated?

Laura90
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I employed a bathroom installation company (with great reviews) to refit my bathroom (small sized bathroom, shower over bath, nothing fancy). They started the work over 5 months ago. It is now nearly complete, and I still need to pay the final 10% deposit (plus extra that I spent on tiles), which works out roughly about £1,300 + £300-£400 for tiles.

As well as all the hassle and stress that I've had with them bodging the job and sending in several tilers to try to patch up the mess (before eventually saying they'd get it done by a trusted tiler, but he wouldn't be available for a couple of months), the whole experience of having a lovely new bathroom installed, buying nice things for it, being excited, is ruined.

I don't have my brand spanking new totally finished bathroom, that I expected Nothing is new any more, there's slight scratches on the metal trims, slight marks on the bath (only visible in sunlight, but still), a scratch on my downstair's floor due to the rubbish removal guys dropping something (luckily it was just cheap laminate, but still not something that I should have happen in my home).

The whole thing has just been a nightmare, and has caused me a lot of stress. The reason I paid more, and went with this company, was because I thought it would be stress free and would end up with a great finish.

I don't feel happy about paying them the whole outstanding amount. I feel as if they should compensate me (for the stress, hassle, not providing me with the service they promised, i.e. work completed within 7-10 days and no subcontractors would be used (which is a total lie)).

What are my rights in this situation?

Do you think it would be fair to expect to be compensated? If so, by what amount, and what is the best way to go about this?

Up to you really; good job you kept some money back.

definitely wait until you get the final invoice for the work at completion and you are happy with the result;

if not get them to put anything right or make good.

Now when you get invoice deduct what you think is a fair amount for disruption, taking too long etc.

What was in their contract regarding payment and any mention of time in that or anything in writing to that affect ( like will complete in three weeks )?

Then see what they say about the reduced amount and if they want to take you to court for the balance, so be it, and you can let a judge decide what's fair.

you have to give them a reasonable chance to put right what they have done wrong unless it is such an appalling job you wouldnt have them set foot in your house after the first screw up. I would be pointing out all of the snags and asking in writing what they are going to do to make good. The chances are they will realise that they arent going to get the final balance without an argument and then try and do a deal. If they are a national company I would be kicking up a big fuss with head office, if a local firm you can leave a fitting report on one of the trades recommendations web sites.