swift credit - council tax enforcement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

yesterday I received an enforcement agent notice,

I contacted swift last month with a proposed payment plan to clear outstanding council tax (this year)

They responded by email, as it wasn't a direct reply to sent email it went into spam.

I've spoken to the company this morning who are refusing to deal with me and the council who again are refusing to deal with me.

I've put the proposed payments aside £30 pw starting 01/08 but as I'd heard nothing I've not sent them.

debt - 883

compliance fee - 75

enforcement costs - 232

total due - 1193

payment in full required - call back Thursday 4th

I don't have the money to pay in full, I've no idea what to do.

Thank you in anticipation of replies

yesterday I received an enforcement agent notice,

I contacted swift last month with a proposed payment plan to clear outstanding council tax (this year)

They responded by email, as it wasn't a direct reply to sent email it went into spam.

I've spoken to the company this morning who are refusing to deal with me and the council who again are refusing to deal with me.

I've put the proposed payments aside £30 pw starting 01/08 but as I'd heard nothing I've not sent them.

debt - 883

compliance fee - 75

enforcement costs - 232

total due - 1193

payment in full required - call back Thursday 4th

I don't have the money to pay in full, I've no idea what to do.

Thank you in anticipation of replies

I have checked and the bailiff is certified

I hate to say this but they may have you by the proverbials & is probably a shame you never followed the original up to see what was happening.

It may pay you to contact your local Councillor(s) & explain what has happened. They may be able to exert some clout at the Council if only to make Swift abide by your proposal.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear Mrs Bryce

We refer to your e mail dated 21st July 2014 and thank you for your payment of £120.00.

We are unable to accept your payment proposal of £120.00 per month. However we are able to accept minimum payments of £130.00 per month commencing 1st August 2014 and by the 1st of each month thereafter.

Payment may be made by cheque or postal order made payable to “Swift Credit Services Ltd” quoting your name, address and reference number on the reverse side. Payment must be sent to Cashiers Department, PO Box 12019, Epping, CM16 9EB. Payment can also be made by debit or credit card or via paypoint.

Please note that failure to adhere to these repayment terms will result in our enforcement agent attending your property with a fee of £235.00 being incurred.

We look forward to receiving your payments.

Dear Mrs Bryce

We refer to your e mail dated 21st July 2014 and thank you for your payment of £120.00.

We are unable to accept your payment proposal of £120.00 per month. However we are able to accept minimum payments of £130.00 per month commencing 1st August 2014 and by the 1st of each month thereafter.

Payment may be made by cheque or postal order made payable to “Swift Credit Services Ltd” quoting your name, address and reference number on the reverse side. Payment must be sent to Cashiers Department, PO Box 12019, Epping, CM16 9EB. Payment can also be made by debit or credit or via paypoint.

Please note that failure to adhere to these repayment terms will result in our enforcement agent attending your property with a fee of £235.00 being incurred.

We look forward to receiving your payments.

sorry for the spam in my posts, if there is nothing I can do - what can I expect to happen? I don't have the money to pay, I can pay some but no where near the whole amount.

Do I have to let him in? what if I don't? shall I pay what I can to swift or council direct?

Feeling worried, I'm a single mum with 3 children I've recently had tl give up work to look after my disabled child

Feeling worried, I'm a single mum with 3 children I've recently had tl give up work to look after my disabled child

Can you explain a little more about your family circumstances & in particular your disabled child. I appreciate you may not wish to open up on a public forum in which case let me know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you explain a little more about your family circumstances & in particular your disabled child. I appreciate you may not wish to open up on a public forum in which case let me know.

I'm not 100% on what information you need but he's 8 with a brain condition, he is missing part of it. It's the same condition as the rain man. We don't 'qualify' for dla though apparently.

I've 2 other boys too, 10 months and 5 years

Lolly,

I am sorry if the following appears harsh but given the popularity of this forum it is only right to provide accurate advice.

The starting point here is that the arrears to the council are £883 and this represents this years council tax bill (2014-15).

Once a Liability Order is issued you lose the right to pay the debt by direct debit and worse still...the entire amount for the whole year (to April 2015) becomes due.

The bailiff companies are under NO obligation whatsoever to accept a payment proposal but they are certainly encouraged to do so. However, they will need to abide by the relevant contracts that they have with the local authority. Many contracts that I have seen state that payment arrangements should be accepted over a period of three month and in exceptional cases only ...6 months.

Having calculated the proposal that Swift Credit Services have offered to accept, it is sadly the fact that the repayment proposal appears to be very generous and allows for you to repay the debt over 9 monthly payments. In fact, by accepting payment at the rate of £130 per month they are allowing you the remainder of the council tax year to clear the debt!! Such a payment arrangment is rarely available to debtors.

With an £800 debt to the council the monthly payments that you would have needed to pay to the council would have been approx £80 per month.

Offering a sum of £30 per month would mean that the debt would not be repaid for over three and a half years.

HOWEVER, if you are able to provide evidence of 'vulnerability' all bailiff companies are encouraged to remove the enforcement fee of £235 and to "rewind" the account back to the 'Compliance Stage' . This will mean that they will remove the enforcement fee (of £235).

It is therefore important to see whether 'vulnerability' can be established. As an example:

Are you single, married or divorced

Are you or your partner working?

Are you in receipt of any benefits?

Do you own a property or is the property privately rented?

Is the property rented through the local authority?

Do you have a car?

Most items in the property are now exempt so the car is the main asset.

Lolly,

I am sorry if the following appears harsh but given the popularity of this forum it is only right to provide accurate advice.

The starting point here is that the arrears to the council are £883 and this represents this years council tax bill (2014-15).

Once a Liability Order is issued you lose the right to pay the debt by direct debit and worse still...the entire amount for the whole year (to April 2015) becomes due.

The bailiff companies are under NO obligation whatsoever to accept a payment proposal but they are certainly encouraged to do so. However, they will need to abide by the relevant contracts that they have with the local authority. Many contracts that I have seen state that payment arrangements should be accepted over a period of three month and in exceptional cases only ...6 months.

Having calculated the proposal that Swift Credit Services have offered to accept, it is sadly the fact that the repayment proposal appears to be very generous and allows for you to repay the debt over 9 monthly payments. In fact, by accepting payment at the rate of £130 per month they are allowing you the remainder of the council tax year to clear the debt!! Such a payment arrangment is rarely available to debtors.

With an £800 debt to the council the monthly payments that you would have needed to pay to the council would have been approx £80 per month.

Offering a sum of £30 per month would mean that the debt would not be repaid for over three and a half years.

HOWEVER, if you are able to provide evidence of 'vulnerability' all bailiff companies are encouraged to remove the enforcement fee of £235 and to "rewind" the account back to the 'Compliance Stage' . This will mean that they will remove the enforcement fee (of £235).

It is therefore important to see whether 'vulnerability' can be established. As an example:

Are you single, married or divorced

Are you or your partner working?

Are you in receipt of any benefits?

Do you own a property or is the property privately rented?

Is the property rented through the local authority?

Do you have a car?

Most items in the property are now exempt so the car is the main asset.

sorry my waffling has confused you. I offered 30 pw which was rejected and they asked for 130 pm. I missed the emails, they were not responses to my emails they were from tom Smith subject a random number so really easy to miss.

I am in receipt of child benefit and tax credits.

yes I have a car, I've not yet transferred it into my name though. Shall I hold off?

I can make a 300 payment now, should I pay the council or swift?

Thank you all so much

Sorry to have been so long - been a hard day.

Based on your circumstances in my view you should be making a claim to be treated as a vulnerable family. This doesn't mean to say the debt will disappear but may help you find a sensible payment proposal that is affordable to you. You will need to be able to provide some proof of the grounds you are claiming on and ask you are given time to collate this together. An initial letter should be given to the attending EA, another copy sent to the Enforcement Co and yet another sent to the Council'

You should also gain the assistance of your local Councillor(s) and ask they intervene on your behalf. Best initial contact is by phone and I would invite him/her round so they can see at first hand your disabled child - this in itself may be enough to get the Council to call their contractor off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you in receipt of any disability payments?

Not presently, I need to reapply. selfishly writing down everything that is 'wrong' with my child hurts. I know that it'll be a battle to get them which puts me off

I am so sorry. I read your post incorrectly. I realise now that you were offering to pay the debt at £30 per WEEK. I thought that you had said £30 monthly. My mistake.

I will read the posts again.

PS: With disability it is so important to reapply. Also, if you call DWP today you will have quite a few weeks to complete the forms but if the award is in your favour....it will be backdated to the date on which you apply. I have loads of these forms and they are not easy to complete. the most important point that should be made about the completion is that you need to provide details of how the condition affects the person on his BAD DAYS.