Totally lost. Where to start?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This maybe a long thread. I will try to keep it short and add info as required.

Major concern at the moment is the constant council tax bills. Since May they keep sending me bills for higher amounts because my circumstances have changed.

No changes in May though.

Quick bit of basic info.

I have been off work since 2007 with a prolapsed disc which in turn affects my toilet and bowel works. Originally on IB but now i guess ESA? The job centre call me overy 6 months or so and say hello any change. Then say they will call in another 6 months.

In the meantime my Daughter has grown up. Done 6th form and 2 years at college. But her grades in Maths is holding her back from the next stage in the courses. She will be 20 next month.

Wife also doing Math's and English courses at a different college to my daughter.

I spoke to the Council (Birmingham) in May about the bill. They said its because my daughter has left college. No she is still at college and not due her exams until June.

Bill revised and all quiet for a month. Then a late payment letter and they said they didnt receive the proof she was still at college.

Sent again. Another bill with the original figures on it. And now 2 weeks later another higher bill.

Daughter went to sign on but told she shouldnt sign on until tax credits and family allowance expire.

In September she will be starting a Maths and English course. But will she have to sign on still? She is hoping to get a part time job also. But just missed out on one recently.

And what happens about this council tax bill? Our money will br drastically reduced yet they want more money?

I wont be able to afford to pay it.

I dont even know where to go to get advice these days. All the offices seemed to have closed. And the job centre is deserted except about 10 security guards for each person signing on. (exaggerated of course. But it looked that way).

Thanks.

I don't know how much extra they are asking for in relation to your daughter, but as soon as my son hit 18 I got a letter telling me I had to pay quite a bit more rent and council tax, they "assumed" he was working as I hadn't informed them otherwise, this was just a week after his birthday and had they waited the letter I had sent was in the post to them. However, he wasn't signing on or working, he was looking for part time work and deciding on further education, looking around at courses etc and I had a hell of a time with them over this, in the end they settled on charging me the same amount as if he was signing on, by todays rate that's about £14 a week off rent and it depends on the individual councils re the council tax. I had to send in copies of his bank statement and a declaration that he wasn't earning.

I guess they just have to make sure as so many try to cheat it.....its just rotten when your not and you feel targeted somehow.

Thanks, I didnt think anyone was going to reply.

Because i am not working my CT bill was around £200. We had already paid £80 when the letter arrived saying

the new balance was £680 after deducting the CT and the £80. So my discount would be around £2 a week?

So if she signs on and gets what £50 a week? One weeks money pays that months countil tax, Another weeks money

to go towards the rent? Then money to travel to and from the job centre?

So she will have less than £25 a week to buy food and clothes? I know they want to stop people living the life of riley

but thats madness.

No wonder youngsters move out and have 20 kids.

So if she signs on and gets what £50 a week? One weeks money pays that months countil tax, Another weeks money to go towards the rent? Then money to travel to and from the job centre?

If your daughter is on a reduced or minimal income, or claiming Job Seeker's Allowance, you should be getting a further reduction in your council tax bill. It may be worth your while paying a visit to your council office with daughter in tow - Take supporting evidence with you, e.g.:

• JSA award letter (if claiming)
  • Pay slips going back as far as possible (if working).
  • Letter from the College stating number of hours per week study is required (if in education).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

She has just filed for JSA. She will be doing maths/english at the local college whilst looking for work also.

Waiting for them to contact her to find out what money she will get. In the meantime we have received the rent form

and seems we will have to pay £18.45 a week rent and an additional £14.73 council tax.

Im puzzled how they arrive at these figures? Rent even shows her earnings at 1p ?

What does a young person get on JSA £57? I have no idea how we are going to manage. Lose £70 a week? Tax credits

and family allowance.

I was on IB and IS. Now ESA. My health prevents me from working but apparantly not bad enough to claim anything for it.

The guy at the job centre calls me to see if there is any change in my condition. I think he knows im not putting it on

and only phones so he can tick his form to say he spoke to me.

Thanks.