• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Should this ever happen to me, I will make an appeal at the first stage to avoid any problems that may occur at a later stage. Although, any individual in a similar position should decide for themselves what they think is an appropriate course of action. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

dtollan vs RBOS

dtollan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, wish me luck....just setting off on the long road to (hopefully) getting my cash back :)

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

2/11/2006 - Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

16/11 - Statements Received (envelope slightly torn, no cover letter)

18/11 - Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

12/12 - Prelim Letter Sent Recorded Delivery To Local Branch

30/12 - Offer received for all charges minus interest

13/01/07 - Letter of rejection sent,along with new prelim (adjusted interest calculated)

29/01 - LBA sent recorded delivery

**NATIONWIDE**

5/11/06 - Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

13/11 - Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

23/11 - Statements Received (Special Delivery with cover letter, very impressed, good service)

12/12 - Prelim Sent Recorded Delivery To Local Branch

13/01/07 - New Prelim sent (adjusted interest calculations)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck ... again ... (already said good luck to you in your Nationwide thread) :-)

I've just received my statements from RBoS so away to get the calculator & highlighter lol so will likely send off my SAR tomorrow

Thank you :-)

Hi Suzy H.....if you've got your statemenst already surely you dont need to post off your SAR?....or am i getting this wrong?:confused:

Its all a bit daunting eh.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

13/01/07 - Letter of rejection sent,along with new prelim (adjusted interest calculated)

**NATIONWIDE**

23/11 - Statements Received (Special Delivery with cover letter, very impressed, good service)

DT, youre right. If you have your statements, its prelim letter next.

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

• 3 weeks later...

Received my RBOS statements on the 16th Nov.....just going through em and adding up all the charges, trying to work out the Royalties Subscription for each month. It changes from £5 to £6 at some point....i need to remove the royalties charge from my claim as it is an agreed fee for each month and therefore unclaimable.

When is the 5 years taken from?...is it from the date of the first letter requesting repayment?......has anyone managed to get anything from further back...i know of the 20 year thingmy but im not too fussed about that...its just that i have a couple of charges from outwith the 5 years...(if it is from 5 years previous of the first letter (does that make sense!!))

Also...does anyone know what a referral charge is and can it be clainmed?

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

hi folks,

was wondering if anyone can help me.....i'm struggling to find out what the contractual rate of interest is for RBOS....can anyone point me in the right direction.

apologies if its on a thread somewhere...i simply cant find anything at all.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

thanks hydra,

i've just finished doing my interest calculations on the simple spreadsheet using the unauthorised contractual interest rate. in the prelimenary letter it states:

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter

however.....is it true that i am claiming the extra in overdraft interest for the sum that they have taken?

or...am i simply applying an unauthorised borrowing fee to each charge over the period of time since each of the charges were applied.

Do i need to reword this part of the letter to reflect this?

maybe an obvious answer to this but after the spreadsheet my head aint working to well.:rolleyes:

also a quick question about the bottom of the spreadsheet...this is what appears at the bottom of the spreadsheet....do i leave in the middle column about the judicial interest rate?.....or take it out for the first letters?

TOTAL CLAIMED AT DATE OF SERVICE : £2,675.02

JUDICIAL INTEREST AT CURRENT RATE OF 8% : £0.00

TOTAL CLAIMED AT DATE OF JUDGEMENT OR PAYMENT : £2,675.02

this total includes 29.84% interest, it seems to me that as the bottom line says total claimed at date of judgement or payment this means i wouldnt be able to claim the 8% if i got to court? i know not to add this 8% at this stage...is it a case of simply adding 8% to my £2,675.02 at the time of filing a court claim?:confused:

ouch that hurt....not even sure if it makes sense :-o

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

oops///thanks willowb as well!:oops:

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

There are several posts you need to read that relate to contractual interest claims, but I gather that it is your preference whether you claim interest at authorised or unauthorised levels (unauthorised claimed on the basis that you didn't authorise them to penalise you).

However if I read right, it is expected that if your total claim including contractual interest reaches court you can also apply for the 8% - please correct me if I have misinterpreted this, anyone.

Guest willowb

Hi:)

The first part of your question.....it refers to claiming interest applied to your account for unauthorised borrowing....you can only claim this back if the o/d they have applied this to is made up entirely of unfair charges....make sense?

As for the contractual interest issue....you MUST read this thread, it's full of useful discussion and some not so very useful discussion (mainly taking place on saturday nights:oops: )

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/28574-authorised-interest-unauthorised-interest.html?highlight=contractual+interest

Have fun

Wxx

hi,

thanks willowb...i've already had a good read through that thread and it was the main reason i decided to apply unauthorised contractual interest.

hydra....cheers, that definately helps with regards as to whether i can add my 8% to that total (inclusive of the added interest) come court time.

however not sure about the best way to highlight the fact in my letter to RBOS that i am charging them the unauthorised rate....(not without sounding defiantly smug anyway!!):cool:

if you (or anyone else) know of anyone who's added this to their letters it'd be a help to see what they wrote.:)

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Re: First Letter Question (interest charges) Hi Willowb, I need a bit of advice (apologies if you dont like receiving PM's)

That's ok, but you must post the question in your thread, you'll get more advise that way (I'm no expert!) :-)

I seem to be hanging back from sending off my prelim letter. I have totted up my charges, and inserted them into vampiress's simple (scottish) excel spreadsheet (using unauthorised contractual interest rate of 29.84%. The interest adds at least 1000 pounds onto my claim.

Yeah, it's amazing isn't it!!! have you done it 'simple' or 'compounded' ?

I personally would claim the authorised rate but compounded. Not that I have done it! but if I were to do it then that would be a more comfortable route for me. Have you checked out any of the on-going threads on this? I can link them for you if you want.....best to be totally prepared!!!

Do i put this in my prelim letter,

yes

and is this extra amount the interest on the overdraft which the bank have charged me, or just the interest on each of the the charges since they were levied?

It's interest on the charges. If you want to claim interest that the bank has levied on an unauthorised o/d, you have to prove that the o/d was made up entirely of charges or it gets very fiddly!!!!

Like I said, post the question in your thread and I will pm those links to you if you have not read them already.

Wxx

Thanks very much for the above reply willowb. I am a little unsure as of the difference between the simple interest and the compound interest. I have had a look at the advanced spreadsheet, however my account was a student account with free royalties, then graduate royalties etc etc, i dont seem to be able to find out what my OD limits were over the past 5 years, (lets face it when your a student you dont care as long as the money keeps coming out the hole in the wall!!). I therefor will not even be attempting to claim interest for my overdraft. What i have done so far is to input my charges on the simple spreadsheet and use the rate as 29.84%, i assumed that would do it, i take it this is simple interest. Am i able to calculate compounded interest without calculating overdraft interest.

Thanks for the offer of the links to the relevant threads, but i already have them subscribed and am following (or not as the case may be) the proceedings carefully.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Guest willowb

Oh I see! I have replied to you before....

Well, compounded is the method which the banks use to apply the interest, so it is fair to argue that it is valid to claim interest from them using the same method. There is a spreadsheet available for this.

At the end of the day, you must do what you feel confident with. If you go for contractual (authorised or unauthorised) interest then you must put it in your prelim.

Good luck

Wxx

• 2 weeks later...

Prelim letter sent to my local branch today :).......14 days and counting.....I wonder if theres any christmas spirit on the go at RBOS Maybe they'll settle painlessly :rolleyes: I decided to go for unauthorised contractual interest so lets see what happens.:-o

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Following my prelim letter I received an offer from RBOS today. From: Sandy Watt of Customer Relations.

They have offered me the full amount of charges i have claimed :-) minus any interest :x.

He has suggested that I call him if I am unhappy with this to discuss.......

I am thinking of offering a compromise of dropping from Unauth. interest rate to Authorised rate if he settles now.

Or....should I just keep steaming ahead and get the unauth. Int.

In a good situation as I dont really "need" the cash right now. So can afford to wait, but I feel that I should at least try and meet them halfway.....a bit of a dilemma methinks.

Any thoughts or encouragement welcome...

Cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

hi all,

Phoned RBOS today and spoke to Sandy Watt (Customer Relations) who is an agency worker, He referred me to Ross McDonald who told me that the RBOS is only offering charges back minus interest and are quite happy to let people take court action. (possibly just trying to wear everyone down)

I am therefore going to carry through with my claim all the way if necessary. I am thinking of sending my letter before action asking for authorised borrowing rate instead of unauthorised......is it wise to change my claim at this point?

Also thinking ahead to filing a claim....I calculated my interest on Vamps simple spreadsheet...I simply changed the rate in the yellow box to 29.84%....is this the right thing to do?...or have i messed up by not using the complex spreadsheet? I would appreciate it if someone more in the know could cast an eye over my spreadsheet and let me know if theres any probs. Just to ease my mind.

After typing this I decided to phone my local branch to find out what my past overdraft limits had been....i have to write to them requesting this info...they then get the info and i can use it to complete mindzia's spreadsheet and therefore add compounded contractual interest...so this has put my timescales out....but will hopefully be worth it.

Let me know what you think.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Guest willowb

I'm going to ask BillK to have a look at your thread. When the bloke at RBS said 'RBS will pay back charges but not interest and are quite willing to go to Court'.........utter Bo*****s imho......I would make your claim with unauthorised contractual interest and the 8% as an alternative????????....make RBS quite aware that it is actally up to the Judge how much interest is awarded and if mutuality of contract has any bearing on the case then....pay up!

I'm ranting because I've had a few....36th birthday tm....boo hoo:(

lol

Wxxx

Hi DT - sorry for the delay in getting here. I was trying to cheer poor Willow up over her 36th birthday !!

I agree with what she says, but I reckon you ought to hold everything for a bit. I always recommend people make sure that their figures are dead right and that they are happy with them before they start their claim. This is, after all, the foundation of your claim. If it is wrong - your whole claim is wrong.

If you just changed the interest rate in one of Vamp's simple spreadies in the library, you will probably be doing yourself out of some decent dosh. In order to properly claim contractual interest you need to use a spready that calculates compound interest on a daily basis. The ones in Vamp's Google chambers do this, but you will have to register and get your own Google area to work in (no big deal - it's free and no spam). I'm also currently trying to get a reliable fileshare facility sorted out that will enable CAG users to use exported Excel versions of these.

I have modified one of these to enable you to compare 3 rates of interest on one sheet, which you can then use as the basis of your claim. I would suggest that you claim the max. interest rate primarily, but when/if it goes to court, you then claim the lower rate and Statutory interest "in the alternative." This gives you 2 legally-repected fallback positions, but means that your full claim gets dealt with first, and is only reduced if the bank can come up with a good reason to. It's worked for me, and others.

As soon as I can I'll post you a link to the Excel sheets. Paste & copy your figures into one of them, and make a comparison between the interest rates, and also with your own figures. If it looks worth it (and I reckon it might !!), then the next thing is to start your claim again from scratch. As you don't appear to be in a desperate position, then you will be able to do that with no problem. Simple write and tell them that, because they have taken so long in dealing with this, you have had the time to get further advice, and are now claiming the full rate of contractual interest. That way, you don't look a jerk - they do !!! :D

Consider it, and let us know what you would like to do.

Hope that has helped - I'll look out for your reply.

Cheers,

Bill. :)

hi willowb and Bill,

Many thanks for your replies.....over the past day and a half I have seriously been considering just accepting the banks first offer, but after your replies I have renewed confidence and will continue the fight.

Bill I would appreciate your spreadsheets, as you say it is paramount that I have my figures bang on.

My account is pretty complicated though.....I have had it since I was a kid and simply changed the type of account to meet my needs throughout my life so far. Whilst a student I remember phoning my branch many times to increase my O/D limit, and therefore have no record of my O/D limits throughout this time....making it very difficult to use the advanced spreadsheets to calculate compounded interest. Hopefully after speaking to my branch the other day they will send me info regarding my O/D limits through this time. Then I'll be in a better position to calculate figures more accurately. Although I've written to them regarding this, I'm hopefull that I'll not have to make another S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to get this info.

As you say Bill, I think its best to now hang off and not send an LBA until I have revised figures. I have a seperate claim with Nationwide to be getting on with and will be following the same route, it is an easier account to deal with as it was relatively unused and I know what the limits were at all times......I will put these figures into your spready as well.....see what happens.

Again, thanks for taking time to help...it is very much appreciated and gives me a bit more confidence.

cheers.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Hi DT,

Glad you made some sense of my rambling !!

You might like to download this sheet (give it a minute or so), and make a spare copy of it. It's a modified version of one of Vamp's Google spreadies, which allows you to put in 2 levels of compound interest and one of simple interest (for statutory).

http://upload2.net/page/download/KH5DXXfx6GF1KzW/Copy+of+16_Throughout_cla im_with_compounded_contra ctual_interest.xls.html

Unless you are also going to go through the rigmarole of claiming back the apportioned interest you were charged each month on the charges, you won't need to worry about different overdraft levels & interest rates. Just put in the interest rates at the top of the columns, and then you simply put in the date, description and amount of each penalty charge in columns A,B & C. The spready will work out the contractual and statutory interest for you. It's as simple as that. Ignore the rest of the columns for now, as you can try filling them later on if you want to.

HTH

Bill.

Hi Bill,

I can't seem to get the link to work...i am using firefox and it wont open......i also tried internet explorer...no luck with that either.

If you'd be good enough to retry I'll give it another bash...or...i could PM you my e-mail addy and you could send it that way.......

let me know what you thinks best.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**