Probate settlement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi My brother has dismissed the solicitors dealing with our late mothers estate (she died intestate as the will seemed to have disappeared?) and has had the letters of administration passed over to him & cleared her bank A/Cs.

He has sent me a really abusive email & has threatened to spend my inheritance.

I have sent him an email requesting that he pay my share of the estate into my bank A/C directly.

I cannot see him complying with my request.

Is there a legal time frame for settlement?

If he does not comply with my request is he breaking the law & if so what is my course of action.

Any advice would be greatful.

Thanks.

David

Was he one of the executors? If not, I dont think he can do this.

Will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not an executor as no will was found (tho my mother pointed out to my brother & cousin shortly before her demise a folder that she said contained her will).

Post mortem the file disappeared therefor intestate.

So with the letters of administration my brother becomes a personal representative of the estate, & has the same legal responsibilities as an executor.

No law centre close to me as I'm in Spain at the moment and unable to travel due to a series of recent heart attacks, & will not be able able to travel for at least a month.

Just wondering if there is a timescale for distribution of the estate & whether having asked politely for my inheritance to be passed on & his non compliance constitutes a breach of duty.

On a separate note would it be helpful & allowed under forum rules to post a copy of the correspondence I have received?

It is not pleasant reading.

Hello there.

I'm not sure if we need to see correspondence at this stage, and if it's posted you would need to remove anu identifying details. If it become necessary, we can talk you through how to post pdf images.

Let's see how the thread progresses for a day or two.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've been advised by my best friend (who has extensive experience of issuing summonses & debt recovery) who has seen the correspondence that a summons is too weak & that this is a case of theft pure & simple & a criminal complaint should be issued.

His argument being that his refusal to transfer the funds or respond to the request shows intent.

Any thoughts?

Edited by davey1309
grammer

Although there is nothing to stop you reporting this to the police, no criminal offence has been committed as yet hence I don't think there is anything the police could do. In any event a police investigation would take time.

If your brother spends your money, ultimately he will be ordered by the court to pay back all the money and most likely all of your legal cost on top, which if not paid quickly would entitle you to make him bankrupt or obtain a charging order against his property. Not to mention this will also be theft and a breach of his legal duties as trustee. I think you should tell him this. Hopefully if he is educated about the consequences of what he wants to do then he will be a bit more sensible.

The most aggressive approach would be to instruct a solicitor to seek an injunction that he refrain from doing this and/or remove him as administrator, but this would cost.

I don't think there is a fixed time frame, but if he does not act in a reasonable time that would be a breach of his duties as trustee and ultimately entitle you to use the court system to seek compensation and/or his removal from the position.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks Steampowered, succinct summation of how things would normally be viewed & dealt with & how I am dealing with the situation.

There are however other significant factors involved Vis joint ownership of property which he is refusing to let me have my fair share of as well.

Would you mind if I pm'd the email I received for your consideration?

Would really appreciate an objective view.

Oh and in case I haven't mentioned it many thanks to the site it has so far helped me cope with a very traumatic period in my life, its really good to be able to pour out ones troubles to an objective audience.

Davey1309

Glad the site is useful to you. If he is refusing to let you have the share which you are legally entitled to, then you would write a 'letter before action' to him requesting that he comply with his legal obligations, and if he still refuses then you would issue a court claim against him.

Regarding the PM we prefer to keep things on the forum for the protection of all concerned, it is better to post the email or a summary of it on here with personal identifying information removed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS