Coyle White Devine going to Court over UAE Bank Loan 'debt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Left UAE in early 2012.

Had a loan with a bank and intended to carry on paying the repayments after I got back.

Made one payment and then got a frantic call from the bank.

They were very concerned that I had left the UAE as advised by my UAE ex-employer.

They demanded full settlement and

when I explained this was impossible,

they said they would discuss internally and get back to me

I made a payment of the next instalment and went on line the next day to check the credit had gone into my UAE account from the UK bank.

The UAE bank account on line access was denied and I was unable to confirm if received etc.

Money left UK bank no problem, but no idea if received, so decided to wait for the UAE bank to contact me again.

No contact for 2 and half years until

a letter from Coyle White Devine which I know others have received, now demanding full settlement at least twice the original amount

Not sure what to do now.

Do I wait for the SD to arrive and have it set aside?

Do I contact CWD now via email and try and set up a repayment plan?

Any thoughts much appreciated

I think you should write back to Coyle White Devine asking for proof that they been instructed to act for the UAE bank.

i.e Something from the UAE bank confirming that they have passed it to CWD.

Also I would suggest that you ask for an up to date statement of account to be provided by the UAE bank,

together with a copy of the terms and conditions for the account.

Send the letter by recorded delivery.

Don't mention anything about owing the debt or making payments at this stage.

A lot of threats get made by these firms representing UAE banks, but of course you can defend any actions they look to take in UK courts

and if necessary agree payments.

You should not look to enter into any agreement or make payments,

until you have sent the letter as advised and have received the information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

. . . and head your letter "This is not an acknowledgment of any debt."

Do not rush into anything so rash as a payment plan at this stage, particularly if the amount has almost doubled since you set sail from the Gulf.

And stay clear of all GCC countries or you could well find yourself in the clink. Don't even transit an airport.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

Do I really need a recorded letter, as I have email contact for them which would be quicker.

Really want to move this forward quickly if possible

They have also sent the same letter to the address I lived in with my ex-wife.

We split 8 years ago.

She is not best pleased!!

How can I stop them writing to me at my old address?

No, recorded isn't mandatory.

Some prefer to use it as an extra security whilst others are content just to obtain free proof of posting slip from post office.

They sent to your ex in case they couldn't nail you down at your own address or possibly to raise the stakes,

in which they appear to have succeeded.

They should stop if you add a sentence to your letter to that effect,

particularly as you will have acknowledged their initial overture from your proper address.

Thank you for the response.

I have read numerous threads on CWD actions, but not seen how others have fared in dealing with SD's etc.

I believe CWD cannot turn down a reasonable repayment plan, when it comes to it.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the response. I have read numerous threads on CWD actions, but not seen how others have fared in dealing with SD's etc. I believe CWD cannot turn down a reasonable repayment plan, when it comes to it.

You should make sure you have evidence of sending the letter, as it may come in handy if this every went to court. Judges apparently like seeing that debtors have been in contact with those chasing a debt, making reasonable requests, negotiating etc.

The FCA published some rules on the use of SD's in Apirl 2014, which basically stated that bankruptcy should not be used as the first option to enforce a debt, if there are other ways available. There is nothing to stop a UAE creditor going to a UK county court to make a normal court claim.

If you do receive an SD, get some advice, as many of these contain errors and are easily challenged. If you search online, there are Solicitors out there who will sometimes take cases on a no win no fee basis to challenge SD's. as they can earn their costs from the creditors Solicitors without much effort.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

thanks for the advice. if it goes anywhere it will probably end up with a repayment plan. But before that a way to go with getting infor from CWD on assignment debt detail etc.

As you've noticed ppl often come on here and other forums for help regarding C W D and U A E

but there never seems to be a tail to their tales.

It is extremely frustrating to anyone in your position as there are conflicting reports about many issues

such as jurisdiction and it's very hard to find completed case studies.

You would be helping many others if you were to keep us abreast of developments and the outcome.

C W D's letters are absolute crackers.

legal500.com provides a pretty good guide to solicitors' performance / reputation over a range of specialities

but I'm not sure if it includes international personal debt, which is a small niche field.

• 2 months later...

Wrote to CWD in late July asking for copies of the application etc.

To date I have received no response at all.

Only comment they made was that they are acting on behalf of the Dubai bank and have not been assigned the debt

Hi Nix - Can I ask you to paste your copy of agreement template letter for CWD?

I need to send one too urgently.....thank you :0

A letter asking for information will not be seen as admitting to a debt. It only needs to be simple. e.g Please arrange to supply me with a copy of any agreement that you believe existd between myself and x bank. Also please supply a copy of the full terms and conditions that relate to the account and copies of all statements of account to evidence that any debt exists.

All of the posts in connection with layercake's situation have been moved to his own thread which is

HERE

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D