I'm a Tenant & have received notice of eviction - Please, please help me.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3530 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have been in a property for 5 months as a tenant. I paid my deposit and first month's rent without any issue. However, my circumstances changed catastrophically. My Mum had vascular dementia and as a result of her condition deteriorating, it was necessary to increase her care package which I had to take responsibility for and sadly left me in a position where I didn't have enough funds to pay my rent.

I was in a terrible position as I sincerely had to prioritise my Mum sadly. I kept in touch with the letting agent and landlord but because the schedule for bringing my arrears up to date changed frequently, I was served and had to attend a court hearing for possession.

The judge advised that she was sympathetic but as they'd used mandatory ground 8, her hands were tied and possession within 14 days was granted. I was terrified! The schedule for repayment changed as I'd advised due to having to await settlement of my Mum's affairs as very sadly she passed a way a short time after her care package was increased and I found I had to settle funeral costs and expenses for my poor Mum until her personal affairs were concluded.

I received the notice of eviction a week after the posession date had lapsed and it is scheduled to take place on the 5th of August at 10am. I desperately need to do all I can to suspend the warrant of eviction just for a short time, as since all of this has occurred, I've been extremely poorly due to the loss of my Mum and I've suffered a miscarriage during the past 10 days which I attribute to the severe distress I endured during the last few weeks.

I can't tell you how sad I feel that my tenancy fell into arrears. I'm in despair and feel that I'd rather die than count the hours and days to my eviction. I'm in the process of applying for new homes which isn't progressing as quickly as I need it to, but I'm doing my very, very best, I just need a little more time to complete this.

I'm distraught as I've been advised that it is very unlikely a judge will agree to give me more time due to the mandatory ground used in the possession hearing. Please, please can you help. I've tried everything to get advice and guidance and just want to make sure I'm safe in a new home with my two beautiful cats. I can't bear much more, I truly can't.

I've always been an excellent tenant until this situation occurred. Please can you help? Love Gilly

Hi Gilly

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

Sorry about your loss, try not to worry, the Letting Agent/Landlord weren't very understanding towards your circumstances.

http://www.brentlaw.org/userfiles/advice%20leaflets/stoppingeviction.pdf

Have you contacted 'Shelter' in the meantime.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/?_ga=1.258884105.2024020695.1406483094

Spaces added.

Gilly so sorry for your problems. Do you have anyone who can help you? Friends/family/etc?

I would try contacting your local Council also. They are not required to look after single people but they may be prepared to give guidance.

What is your financial situation now? Are you able to pay anything off the arrears? Will you receive any sums from your mother's estate?

Given what you have been through I am wondering if your GP could write something you could show to the Court to have the eviction stayed for a short while?

Don't feel awful about this. Evictions from owned and rented homes go on all the time and solutions are found. This may seem like the end of the world but you will come out the other side. :)

Hi, thanks so very much for contacting me and for your kind comments. Sadly I don't have anybody who can help, I'm so very scared & just don't know which way to turn. Prior to the possession hearing I wrote the landlords two handwritten letters directly to explain and to apologise with all of my heart for placing them in the situation.

I just hoped this would be an opportunity to get to know me a little personally rather than just as a tenant they'd never met due to the agent letting and managing the tenancy. I made attempts to reach an agreement with them to avoid further action as I'm expecting settlement into my account within a couple of weeks - the executor has confirmed that cleared funds should reach me within 10-14 days.

I'd advised the landlords that I was hoping to settle the outstanding arrears by the end of July, but it's just going to exceed the end of this month. However, just prior to going into see the judge on the day of the possession hearing, the landlords solicitor spoke with them to ask for a little more time & they refused.

She advised me that she was sorry and that she'd tried so very hard for me and I broke down she was so kind. I have considered going to speak with my GP but I haven't felt well enough I'm afraid, but if you feel this might help me at all then I'd do this during the next couple of days.

I've just locked myself away I'm afraid for the last few days as everything seemed to finally get the better of me as I lost out on a property I'd set my heart on and especially due to the urgency of me having to find somewhere - I was devastated as my application was very strong they told me but the landlord had simply opted for the other applicant sadly.

I will be financially a lot more comfortable again during the next two weeks, I just can't sadly pay anything off the arrears immediately, I'd dearly love to, I really would as I've never wished not to pay the landlord, truly I haven't, they just won't help me because sadly the schedule changed a number of times for payment simply due to my Mum not having left a will and it taking longer to conclude as a consequence.

I've taken alot of advice via the internet on Shelters website regarding possession and eviction and they all seem to say that there isn't much likelihood of a suspension or more time, so have been warring with myself as to whether it is indeed worth me applying to try to do so and of course the fee involved. Thanks so very much again, truly xx

Hi Rebel 11,

Thanks so very much for getting in touch and for the links, it means so much. I communicated with the agent and landlord constantly to keep them informed and even wrote personal letters to the landlords to explain fully to them as we were never likely to meet with the agent managing the tenancy.

I expressed to them how sorry I was to have found myself in the position I have and the circumstances. On the day of the possession hearing their solicitor spoke with them at length to ask for a little more time but they refused. She told me she was sorry and she'd tried very hard but they just wouldn't.

Throughout this time, I've recorded in my diary the times they driven slowly by to see if I've vacated and often walked by then stood just a the end of my pathway looking into the window. Their Grandson lives on the same close and he's done the same.

I understand their position really I do, but they can't imagine the stress and intimidation they're putting me through due to my distressed state at the moment - I wouldn't normally let somebody put me through something like that, I've just tried to remain professional throughout but sadly to no avail. Thanks so very much again xx

Hi Gilly

I think you should go to your Doctor, clearly your finding it difficult to cope, losing your mother, potentially losing your home etc. Ask the Doctor to write a letter stating that your suffering from stress and anxiety. I'll flag this up for the site team as well.

You really should add spaces to your posts.

There is help out there but it is a question of finding it. Is there anyone at all who could let you sleep on their couch for a couple of weeks? Could you afford a very cheap B&B? As regards the cats, see if you can find a number for your local Cats Protection Group. In an emergency they may be able to board your cats for a few weeks so you have one less worry.

With your monies from your mum you will be in a position perhaps to pay 6 months up front on a new home, which will be very attractive to landlords.

Don't expect them to care BTW. It is a business, simple as that. You don't pay, you are evicted. It is all about money. Maybe karma will get them one day, who knows?

Going to court will be stressful and will cost. If you go and make an offer of the full arrears and bringing the account up to date within say 14 days I would think you might have a chance, but it sounds to me as if you would be better off away from them and start again.

Yes, please, go to your GP. You have been through a great deal and you sound as if you have no support. It could make you a priority for some temporary accommodation from the Council for example.

Let's try everything and don't forget we have the whole of next week to try! :)

Bless you, thanks so very much. I can't tell you how much you've helped already, I don't feel quite so alone. I would definitely make an offer to pay the arrears within the 14 days to maybe just give me a chance, if only just in the hope of being given the bit of time I need to start afresh properly without having to be forced out - that's all I'm asking for. I will go to see my GP as I think it will help me from a health point of view too.

I'm trying my very best to get some sort of help with accommodation for the couple of weeks but haven't really got anyone that can help, it really would help me to be given the opportunity of time to find my new home and move straight into it as I'll have to move my things into storage otherwise which will be horrendously expensive & I just haven't got anything until my Mum's funds arrive with me. Thanks regards the Cats Protection League, I hadn't realised this may be an option.

Thanks so much for your kind advice and support and as you say, we have the whole of next week and a lot of good can happen in a week :-)

Bless you Rebel11, thanks so very much. I will. I can't thank you enough for all of your support, I was just speaking with 'Bornthisway' and I'm so very grateful to know there are lovely people out there and thank you again, I don't feel quite so alone now.

My apologies also, I'm new to CAG and don't understand regards adding spaces to my posts? Sorry.

Hi again Rebel11,

Many thanks, I appreciate very much your note.

I've read through the link you've kindly sent to me and no, this doesn't apply to me.

I'm certainly suffering from extreme distress and anxiety which has affected my day to day life for a few weeks, but nothing on a long term basis. I'm very much an extremely strong, optimistic person, I don't usually let anything beat me, but this whole situation has just knocked me for absolute six & I'm still suffering deeply from my loss.

I know everything happens for a reason, I'll come out of this a much stronger person I'm certain. I just need to get through it.

Thanks again.

I am sympathetic to your circumstances, as was the Judge but the max extension would be 42 days and repayment of arrears during that time would prob make no difference. If you had reduced arrears to

When did rent arrears first accumulate and when was repayment schedule first agreed? Did you miss any repayments?

I assume you are single 18+ and perhaps sole beneficiary of mother's Estate, so prob no help from Council.

Shelter advise that rent is a priority debt, ignore at your peril.

Letting property is a business, renting is a commitment.

I too feel for you, you have had to deal with so much in such a short time. *hug*

Sadly Mariner is correct. Landlords are running a business so all they are interested in, is collecting the rent money each month.

They don't care about, what financial crisis, family issues or catastrophic conditions you find yourself under.

Yet we all have them to one degree or another.

So prioritise your health first by going to see a Doctor. Do tell him everything that's gone/going on in your life.

At same time get in touch with the Council, Housing Associations (you can Google to see if any in your area) & you can have a look on Gumtree for private let's. (Just be aware that some of the Ads may not be what they say). You can also check out a Newspapers window as usually there's cards that advertise rooms etc.

Also if you are expecting your mum's estate to settle shortly, then ring round the Letting Agents & enquire about paying £xx.xx amount upfront.

I do hope you find yourself in better circumstances soon. Come back if you need any further help, as the CAGers here are a fantastic bunch if people.

Good luck & if you can, let us know how you get on.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I really sympathise with your position, but a few questions.

did your mother live with you? or had her own property? If your mother had her own place could you not move in there for now.

If your mother had a bank account or savings; funeral expenses can be paid out of that, prior to any settlement.

Cannot the executor of the will ( solicitor or relation ) advance you any money against the settlement.

If the council were paying for care; i.e. you, could you not get them to help in the interim, emergency loans etc.

What income do you have ( from work ), or are you on housing benefit or receive any benefit; you could always ask now and make a claim.

You have to try anything and everything.

Please contact the local council for advise and possible help.

Also Shelter may be able to delay eviction, through the court, due to your circumstances, but you will need documents to prove settlement is due, when and for how much.

good luck.

I am sympathetic to your circumstances, as was the Judge but the max extension would be 42 days and repayment of arrears during that time would prob make no difference. If you had reduced arrears to

When did rent arrears first accumulate and when was repayment schedule first agreed? Did you miss any repayments?

I assume you are single 18+ and perhaps sole beneficiary of mother's Estate, so prob no help from Council.

Shelter advise that rent is a priority debt, ignore at your peril.

Letting property is a business, renting is a commitment.

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate all you've said. My rent arrears accrued in May onwards. The LL wouldn't enter into negotiation regards repayment, they demanded the whole amount or court action and try as I might I couldn't get the resource in the immediate to settle all of the amount up front, I'd dearly have loved to have done. My only option was to ask for a little extra time but this was also refused therefore the judge had no discretion. I understand that rent is a priority, but it was extremely difficult to do this at the time under the circumstances. I naturally put myself second.

Hi Raydetinu,

Thanks for your message, I really do appreciate it.

My Mum went into a private nursing home and her property was sold to cover at least some of the original costs involved to provide her with the care she needed. She'd been in private care for 6 years at a cost of £800 per week which increased to £1000 per week as did her care package sadly. The executors have kindly agreed to advance the whole amount of the settlement but it won't sadly be with me for at least 7-10 days which is why I've asked for extra time (just 10 days)

I genuinely reall do appreciate your advice and I'm trying anything and everything bless you, I'm not giving up.

Thanks so much again for your kindness.

Hi RainbowTears,

I can't thank you enough for your kind message *hug* back to you.

I know and I truly have and do appreciate the LL's position, it's just so very sad they won't give me just the few days I need to conclude everything, but I do understand it's just a business to them.

I've been to my Doctor this morning and she's going to speak with Senior Doctors to see if there's anything they can do regards a letter to assist me - she's having to check as this is the first time I've visited since becoming ill so may not be possible which I completely understand. In the meantime, she's kindly prescribed me with some sleeping tablets in the fiurst instance to help a little. I told her everything and broke down which probably did me good to be honest.

Thank you so very much for your support, it means the absolute world to me and makes me want to stay strong and beat this.

You really all are a beautiful bunch of people and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again with all of my heart xx

have you got this offer in writing and have you approached the LL with it? maybe just maybe they would give you a little more time?

Did you pay a deposit and has it been protected? it wont help eviction but may be useful if they have not.

You are very welcome indeed.

Take it a day at a time, as your health comes first.

Glad to hear you have been to see your Doctor & they are now helping you out!

The people here on CAG are a fantastic bunch. So do pop back if you need any further help & support.

Hope everything turns out for you. Good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!