Laundry shop closed down and can not get my clothes back

waiman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am new on this forum and hope to get some advise from you.

My regular laundry shop seems to have ceased business and I still have clothes with them (sadly also my most expensive winter coat). Wooden panels have been placed on the display window to block any access or letters. It displays a message with the contact details and advises the laundry has ended the tenancy. They have contacted me to arrange for delivery at my home however they have failed delivery twice and I am now not getting any responses on my emails, texts and calls since 2 weeks.

I have checked creditsafe and can see they are still an active company. The mobile phone is still working as well. I have traced the director address details. What is the next step I can take to get my clothes back?

Hi waiman

Welcome to CAG

How did they contact you to make arrangements? Email, phone etc?

Are you prepared to go to the small claims court? If so write a LBA, send it Recorded Delivery. I take it that you have a receipt for the clothes when they were dropped off.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_taking_action_e/consumer_legal_actions_e/consumer_going_to_court_e/consumer_taking_court_action_e/step_one_write_a_letter_before_action.htm

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

The SMS texts are relevant, they prove that the 'laundry shop' were in a position to return the clothes but failed to do so. Evidence essentially.

Thanks for your advise and I hope I can get my clothes back through the small claims court!

The laundry shop contacted me by SMS texts - is this of importance?

I have sent a claim through the small claims court today and surprisingly the laundry shop suddenly sent me a text to advise me I can come pick it up at another location! I assume he has received the notification that a claim has been submitted? Or would that not be done through mail? In order for me to get my claims expenses back how should I progress?

Hi waiman

Don't withdraw the small claims court until you get in writng from him that he will cover the court costs / expenses and you've had the opportunity to check over the clothes.

I'm going to move this to general legal.

I have sent a claim through the small claims court today and surprisingly the laundry shop suddenly sent me a text to advise me I can come pick it up at another location! I assume he has received the notification that a claim has been submitted? Or would that not be done through mail? In order for me to get my claims expenses back how should I progress?

I have the drycleaner finally respond to my texts but the shop owner is now threatening not to return my clothes if I dont withraw the claim!

One more week to go before the 14 day timeline expires for the shop owner to respond. What would happen if they don't respond? The claim form mentions the consequences will be that they wont be able to get credit. What if they go into liquidation and start up a new company?

Hi waiman

Keep the texts, explain that you will simply show the Judge the 'text's blackmailing you, tell him you want your clothes, the cost incurred in making the claim and compensated for the aggravation.

I have the drycleaner finally respond to my texts but the shop owner is now threatening not to return my clothes if I dont withraw the claim!

One more week to go before the 14 day timeline expires for the shop owner to respond. What would happen if they don't respond? The claim form mentions the consequences will be that they wont be able to get credit. What if they go into liquidation and start up a new company?