Vodafone - complete mess - assistance would be greatly appreciated

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks

I've just returned from holiday to hear a similar story to Autobot's from my 81 year old mum. She hasn't received phonecall threats yet, but I'm guessing these will follow. A couple of days ago she had a letter about an unpaid Vodaphone account from DRS with the suggestion that they will be visiting her home that upset her so much that she had a billious attack followed by a nasty fall. She is due to go into hospital for a major operation soon and the stress is doing her no good at all. She is terrified, confused and convinced they are going to come to her home and is now even worried about leaving windows open 'in case they get in'.

It wouldn't be as bad if she'd refused to pay - even though strictly speaking it isn't her bill. The phone was purchased in her name as a present for her grandson, she made the initial payments but then got into difficulty (she now receives pension credit), and the payments were taken over via DD from her via his bank account. Vodaphone were told this, accepted the DD but for some reason it was not taken on the date agreed which meant there were insufficient funds. Her grandson has also got cashflow problems now, which doesn't help. As the contract is in Mum's name, she is getting the demands for payment first via Fredericksons and now from DRS. Letters have been exchanged and phonecalls have been made to Vodaphone and later Fredericksons offering to pay in installments, but this was refused. Prior to this, my daughter tried to make a payment to Vodaphone by card over the phone, but this was refused by the Vodaphone operator. She was told a manager would call her back, but the call never came. My daughter has copies of all correspondence and has dates of phonecalls, but that doesn't seem to be helping mum now.

My arguement is that if the DD date hadn't been wong, if the card payment had been taken over the phone and the payment plan accepted, my mum wouldn't be in this position now. All that has been asked is that Vodaphone take back the account and take responsibility for what is partly their mess. Now the debt has increased considerably, my disabled 81 year old mum is in a terrible state and I don't know what to do to be able to assist her. Before mum received the DRS letter, my daughter contacted the Ombudsman but I'm concerned that the situation is now getting out of hand. Help and advice please.

Hi PDawn

I've created a thread for you.

We here at CAGlink31.gif have a very successful vodafonelink3.gif Rep operating here

We advise you to follow this method to alert them to your thread:

To get this looked into further could we please you ask you to email HERE with the details quoting the code WRT135 - CAGlink31.gif Forum in the subject line

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number.

To ensure that it reaches Lee could you update the thread with this and He'll get back to you as soon as he can.

CAG.

DX SITETEAM

Please update your thread and tell us how the matter is resolved.

Hi Swoosh84

Don't speak to DCA's over the phone. In the library there are Telephone Harrassment letters, send them Recorded Delivery.

DCA's have no powers whatsoever, a postman has more powers. Here are the OFT's Guidance on Debt Collection:-

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20140402142426/http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consultations/OFT664Rev_Debt_collection_g1.pdf

Your mother is a 'Vulnerable Person', so Vodafone/DCA need to tread very carefully.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/entry.php?180-Debt-Threats-a-quick-self-help-guide

A must read:- No.7 in my signature.

Thanks rebel11, help appreciated.

Email sent, reg WRT135 - CAG 7497691. Vodaphone account number CS00015876001, 684229214, originally with Fredericksons now with DRS.

My mother is a vulnerable person and should not be treated like this bearing in mind she is not refusing the pay the original charges but asked for time to pay and even made an offer to pay something by card, which was refused by Vodaphone who failed to return the calls as promised.

Edited by PDawn
added to message

Hi PDawn,

You say the debt has increased significantly in your message, how much is the actual debt and what are the other charges both in terms of how much and by whom have the charges been applied?

Hi Peopod

Not exactly sure as my daughter has been dealing with it on Mum's behalf but I think the charges have been applied after the early termination of contract, over £700 now when I think originally Vodaphone wanted £200. That was when the offer to pay in instalments was turned down by Vodaphone and just after Vodaphone refused to take a card payment over the phone. I'm not sure without checking the correspondence with my daughter who is applying the charges now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lee, what is happening? I thought you were going to call me about this once you have cleared the offer to make monthly payments? My mum has now received a letter informing her the debt has been passed back to Fredricksons! As you know she is 82 and in poor health recovering from a major operation, but is willing to make payments as discussed with me during your call to me on 1st August 2014. She has in paid £20 recently and has replied to Vodafone's letter ref COLDCA2 dated 7th November. Advice please....can you do anything?