DWP demand access in your home & documents

dyfed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree. I would far rather take my documents to be copied and keep hold of them myself. When I really couldn't avoid that recently, I reluctantly sent them special delivery and they did come back, but I was worried until they arrived.

HB

My office (Glasgow BC) managed to lose someone's passport. Luckily it was not my section that was to blame, but jeez. So I can quite understand people not wishing to send valuable original documents.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The council I work for will send a visiting officer to collect documents from someone that can't get out and about. They are taken back to the office, copied and then dropped back off.

It's a service- they ring up & ask for it.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

My office (Glasgow BC) managed to lose someone's passport. Luckily it was not my section that was to blame, but jeez. So I can quite understand people not wishing to send valuable original documents.

Agree totally.... I wouldn't send mine in.

Not the DWP but the DVLA lost my friends birth certificate - to add insult to injury she had to pay for a replacement - the DVLA shifted the blame over to the PO and they - well you get the idea.

The worry is/was that someone has used it and at some time this person will surface.

I agree. I would far rather take my documents to be copied and keep hold of them myself. When I really couldn't avoid that recently, I reluctantly sent them special delivery and they did come back, but I was worried until they arrived.

HB

last time I was asked to post my documents (BC and MC) I did photocopies of both and paid my GP a tenner to certify they were true copies of the originals he then signed and stamped both with the surgery stamp and I sent them off they were accepted.

My point is that living on the isle of Wight my post goes through more points then the mainland post (including the hovercraft) and post often goes missing I wont compromise my personal security for anyone.

My husband did the same thing when he had to send his off to his pension provider, again these were accepted - worth noting if anyone else has the same concerns

The council I work for will send a visiting officer to collect documents from someone that can't get out and about. They are taken back to the office, copied and then dropped back off.

It's a service- they ring up & ask for it.

WHAT???? there's no way I would allow that to happen by all means send someone to look at the documents and say they have seen them but take them away - oh dearie me that will never happen with me

WHAT???? there's no way I would allow that to happen by all means send someone to look at the documents and say they have seen them but take them away - oh dearie me that will never happen with me

It's not compulsory.. And they won't take passports or driving licences (photos are taken of those).

I do agree with your stance - ID fraud is on the rise.

Was just browsing the whatdotheyknow site and came across this FOI response, dated 16th July 2014;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/we_know_where_you_live#incoming-539693

If you read the response from DWP Central, it clearly states you don't have to do the interview in your house and can arrange for it to be done in the DWP's office with no penalty to your benefits. Straight from the horses mouth :)

Was just browsing the whatdotheyknow site and came across this FOI response, dated 16th July 2014;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/we_know_where_you_live#incoming-539693

If you read the response from DWP Central, it clearly states you don't have to do the interview in your house and can arrange for it to be done in the DWP's office with no penalty to your benefits. Straight from the horses mouth :)

Which is more or less what we've been saying all along. You absolutely can turn down an unannounced CO visit. But thanks for digging that up - hopefully it will put an end to this silliness.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread - a lot of scaremongering and hostility!

I come at this as an ex DWP worker (including compliance visits!) some years ago, and now as someone disabled, living with my disabled pensioner husband, so can see all sides here, It is true, as a previous poster pointed out, home visits are actually less common than they used to be, simply because the DWP now have access to many things, such as bank accounts, tax records, credit agencies etc.,

Compliance is, obviously, to check the validity of a claim, but, on some occasions, it has also helped those who gave been under claiming, and they have ended up better off.

We don't claim means tested benefits, so, no compliance visits, just the DLA and ESA medical checks, which are fair enough (and which, to be fair, have been hassle free).

We don't have to subject ourselves to submitting medical evidence, as we can just stop claiming. We choose to claim our entitlements, as we paid in, so we have to accept the checks!

As a taxpayer, I am more than happy for the DWP to check up on those claiming, because it is just not fair on the rest of us, when people sca* the system. It's also voluntary - no one is forced to claim public money!

I am also a bit weary of disabled people constantly being referred to, patronisingly, as 'vulnerable' and therefore, somehow incapable of dealing with a claim. We are not all sitting whimpering behind the front door, dreading the brown envelopes, phone calls, or doorbell!

Being in a wheelchair buggars your limbs up, but not necessarily the rest!

I do, of course, understand, that many people have been treated badly by both this lousy government and a few lairy DWP workers, but there are complaints procedures, which should be used, and that situation should not mean we just throw public money around with inadequate checks.

It is much less hassle just to show the DWP official your paperwork, because nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

If you don't want them in your home, fir whatever reason, (and they just turn up normally dressed, in normal cars, not as storm troopers!) then make an office appointment. However, if you fail to keep the appointment, they can and will stop paying the benefits.

Edited by morgandlin
  • Haha 1

I am also a bit weary of disabled people constantly being referred to, patronisingly, as 'vulnerable' and therefore, somehow incapable of dealing with a claim. We are not all sitting whimpering behind the front door, dreading the brown envelopes, phone calls, or doorbell!

Being in a wheelchair buggars your limbs up, but not necessarily the rest.

I so agree... I know of people without any disability at all that can't handle such things, and I know of disabled people that have no issues whatsoever.

The FOI reply seems to answer many of the objections raised.

I so agree... I know of people without any disability at all that can't handle such things, and I know of disabled people that have no issues whatsoever.

The FOI reply seems to answer many of the objections raised.

Yep, my view with the medical checks element is to prepare - get reports from consultants, GP's, health care professionals, and attach your own statement, to the forms, giving full details of how your disability affects you. The more (proven) detail you provide, the better.

Same as means tested benefits - supply ALL applicable financial details, accurately give details of your household, and who lives there, and don't work for non declared income. Do not try to hide bank accounts, because they do (always!) come to light now, with the links between banks, HMRC, and the DWP.

Credit reference agencies now give info to the DWP, as do credit card companies.

Don't run around telling neighbours how much you get (one malicious phone call can cause no end of hassle!)

It's simple really - claim truthfully, and nothing can ever be proven against you.

@morgandlin Having worked in mental health I can tell you that it aint patronising to say that some adults are vulnerable.

Ever heard of POVA? Any suggestions on what to call it without sounding patronising?

@morgandlin Having worked in mental health I can tell you that it aint patronising to say that some adults are vulnerable.

Ever heard of POVA? Any suggestions on what to call it without sounding patronising?

No it's not patronising at all- it's a truth that some adults are vulnerable. Some vulnerable people have a disability, some vulnerable people are because of circumstance has made them vulnerable.

I think the point is not all disabled people are vulnerable in the sense of being unable to manage their affairs. I have a disability but am fortunate in that I am able to work and it's a mobility issue which does not affect my ability to manage my affairs. Possibly the most intelligent person I know is in a wheelchair...

• 2 weeks later...

Of course some adults are vulnerable, and not all are disabled. Many disabled are not especially vulnerable.

However, there are too many 'blanket statements' like 'vulnerable people such as elderly and disabled' - not all of us are, and not all of want to be thought of as such lol ;)

Of course, anyone vulnerable, whatever the cause, should seek support, with dealing eith agencies, from either an advocacy service, welfare rights, social services, voluntary groups, or the CAB.