I'm in thw UK - Tahseel Dubai Debt Collectors have emailed HR Dept!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am in shock as to the lengths the UAE debt collections dept have gone to to recover money from my husband.

Today whilst my husband was working in his office a member of the HR dept called him over and

asked him quietly if he had ever lived abroad.

The whole of the HR dept had received a very strong and threatening email from the debt collectors in the UAE

telling them all of his debt which accrued in 2007!

They had found my husband on LinkedIn,

checked out who he worked for and emailed them!

I am still in shock!

Can anyone advise me as to whether they can do this?

I know the laws in the UAE are very different and they can probably do what they want,

but they cannot legally do anything to get the money back here in the UK (as advised by the national debt helpline.)

Has this happened to anyone else?

under UK laws the debt will be statute barred.

two words!!

i'd be complaining to the OFT and the ICO.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Why don't you tell the name of the DCA?

The DCA are United Arab Emirates to Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, debt collectors are Tahseel who are known for these tactics. The SB law doesn't apply its only in the UK.

Any one out there who can help?

they are a debt collection company

they have no legal powers whatsoever.

the laws of where you reside apply.

sols representing the UK arm of the same bank might try court.

is there a UK branch?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for you replies. No they don't have a uk branch. Are you sure the uk laws apply? I spoke to someone at the OFT and ICO and they couldn't rely help as they thought the laws of the UAE applied. They did say however that they had no powers to recover the money. I really want to make some sort of complaint about this!

If the agreement you signed in Dubai allows for court action anywhere in the world, then at some point they could take you to court in the UK and it would be dealt with here in the UK. You would need to get proper legal advice in the UK, if you were to receive a court claim from a UK court. You should start making enquiries to find Solicitors in the UK, who have knowledge of UK and Dubai law regarding debt. The Law Society may be able to assist you in finding Solicitors. http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If the communications to your company are from abroad, there is no one in the UK who would be able to deal with your complaint. If the communications came from the UK, you could complain to the FCA and FOS.

http://www.fca.org.uk/site-info/contact

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Why didn't you pay the debts off before leaving UAE?

If I were you I would never set foot in that country again, they're not soft like us

Probably could not afford to or it was not straightforward negotiating with the creditors. There have been a number of TV programmes about Dubai debt. The way they handle debt situations, where the debtors have few rights and the Police can arrest you, putting you in jail until some form of arrangement is sorted, might make people want to leave the country quickly.

I think it is best to get proper debt advice from someone who is expert in Dubai law and knows how to negotiate a way out of it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 years later...

i am facing the same problem , someone from tahseel collection email my HR here in london and asking for my contacts.

they claiming that i owe debit to citibank while those i closed my credit card and did final settlement before i leave the UAE.

they threatening to harm my reputation if i do not pay things i didnt owe.

i agree with you there is no law in UAE to consumers , i am so worried someone could have stolen my identity or this [problem] company could forged my signature to harrass me.

my company was cooperative and ignored their messages but i want to file a complain or get a lawyer in UAE as i am worried to be stopped when i go back to dubai.

is there any advice or suggestion you may recommend me to do i would be obliged.

Rachel

i am facing the same problem , someone from tahseel collection email my HR here in london and asking for my contacts.

they claiming that i owe debit to citibank while those i closed my credit card and did final settlement before i leave the UAE.

i agree with you there is no law in UAE to consumers , i am so worried someone could have stolen my identity or this [problem] company could forged my signature to harrass me.

my company was cooperative and ignored their messages but i want to file a complain or get a lawyer in UAE as i am worried to be stopped when i go back to dubai.

is there any advice or suggestion you may recommend me to do i would be obliged.

Rachel

thread is two years old

might be better to

start a new thread

of your own

you wont get seen here

dx

and they

Rachel

Send letter or email to Citibank with a copy of the letter received from tahseel saying that you know nothing about this and you are concerned about how this matter has arisen. E.g it could be identity fraud committed after you left the country.

You don't need a lawyer. You just need to alert Citibank that there is a problem and see how they reply.