• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took £19 worth of products from boots,

I have no idea why I didn't even need the items or particularly really want them but I took them.

a security guard caught me and took me to a room with 3 other men.

I had took the label of the products which they found and I gave them the two products back and apologized.

They asked for my name, D.O.B, address and took a picture of me on a mobile phone?

They gave me a letter 'notice of intended civil recovery' and banned me from the store.

They did not contact the police and said they wouldn't and said they cannot tell anyone about it like my family (I'm 18).

When will I get this letter?

They told me I have 21 days to pay them and if I don't the price will go up.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Edited by alicepractie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi alice

Welcome to CAG

RLP will send you lots of speculative invoices, without a breakdown of costs, these costs are covered in Boots operating costs and business model. They have the products back, there is no loss to Boots. Try not to worry. When you receive these speculative invoices, do not pay them. There are many threads on this site about RLP, do some research. CAB have even investigated RLP and have produced reports.

Hi alice

RLP have already gone down the Court route and failed, it is very unlikely that anything will happen. The letters get more threatening, more bizzare, some time ago they even mentioned the Magna Carta from 1215, even then they got some of the facts wrong. They got lots of names and addresses so have the Yellow Pages, but at least the Yellow pages is of some use.

I know that I was wrong taking the items, they received them back. What would happen if I didn't pay the RLP? They have my name and address.

Thanks

Very, very unlikely. When you get your first letter, just update this thread.

But Boots took my details down? Will they not try to contact me themselves if I did not pay the RLP?

Read the info on this forum. And stop worrying. Jackie does the same thing, all the time, then runs off after someone else.

If you pay them, then you are justifying her business and helping her to threaten and trick money out of others.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Alice and welcome to CAG.

You notice that we do not focus on the actual shoplifting (well, apart from don't do it again)

Our focus is on the spurious invoices RLP spew out and hope that people do not know their rights.

What they say in the letters which you will receive will say all sorts of things about how much this has cost Boots but the 'fine' (which it isn't) is a contribution (it also isn't)

This is a purely money making machine for RLP and Boots to split between them. They will try and make you believe that the store security costs are recoverable. They are not as this cost is already factored into the prices people pay at the till. The same applies to the other costs they say (CCTV, admin) Boots got the stuff back so there is no loss there either.

No police were involved so the matter should end there. Don't let them (or their pet debt collector) harass you into improving their profits.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I believe in being pro active with RLP.

A simple one liner denying any liability to them is what I would send and then ignore all further letters from them. There have been no court cases since 2012 after a retailer and RLP got a slapping in court so they don't seem to want to do it again. RLP cannot take court action in their own right. Only the store can (but they don't want to)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

If you do get a letter, come back here and we can help you out :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

As someone that has done my 12 years service and had to deal with shoplifing offenses my reactions is

How bloody dare they.

Sure a crime may have been committed or attempted but they had the right to use the legal system. They declined that option.

I thin it is disgusting that these cowboys can try and pervert the laws of this land to make money out of the situation. Whats worse is they know they are harassing people and they try to justify it.

At least you knew it was wrong and apologized.

From what I can see these RLPs are designed to do two things. 1) Cause as much stress and anxiety as possible to try and stop you doing it again. And in my mind boarders on Harassment. and b) to extract as much money as possible.

Id love to know if someone coudl challange these notices under harassment or

"Theft Act 1978

"21. Blackmail". —

(1) A person is guilty of blackmail if, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, he makes any unwarranted demand with menaces; and for this purpose a demand with menaces is unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—

(a)that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand; and

(b)that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand.

(2) The nature of the act or omission demanded is immaterial, and it is also immaterial whether the menaces relate to action to be taken by the person making the demand.

(3) A person guilty of blackmail shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Anyway enough of my thought experiment, some good advice listed by the site team :)

Just out of curiosity

Did you leave the preises before being stopped? (Or pass the lass point of payment?)

If not then one would argue that you did not even commit the crime. Intention is not the same as committing it.

I was always taught that there was 5 points to shoplifting that needed to be satisfied before a conviction can be guaranteed. (not gonna list them here :) )

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

So I got a letter this morning and they're now asking for £147.50 instead of £137.50 they had said? I'm very unsure about sending them a letter back or of even what to say as I know they will probably just keep sending me letter after letter.

Yes I had just left the store.

Thanks everyone.

Just do what we already advised. Send the one line letter and ignore everything she sends you, unless, in the very very unlikely event she sends court papers ( which as fas as we know, she hasnt done so since 2012.

Hmm, okay. I've asked my sister for advise, she's no help whatsoever and is leaning more towards the pay it side. But then if it's supposedly wrong for them to ask for this money from me and I shouldn't give in to their 'bullying' by paying then why should I? :???:

Edited by alicepractie

Do what we have advised and you'll be fine. Theres no conflict of interest, no confusion. Send the letter and be done with it.

So I got a letter this morning and they're now asking for £147.50 instead of £137.50 they had said? I'm very unsure about sending them a letter back or of even what to say as I know they will probably just keep sending me letter after letter.

Yes I had just left the store.

Thanks everyone.

If you are going to send the one liner then all you need to put is this....

Any liability to your company pr any other that you claim to represent is denied. No further correspondence will entered into.

They will have seen the same letter many times before but at least it will make your position clear to them. You will get a few increasingly intimidatory letters from them and they may even pass it to a collection agency to have a go. Always remember, there is no liability to them on your part and there is no debt.

RLP cannot take you to court.

Hmm, okay. I've asked my sister for advise, she's no help whatsoever and is leaning more towards the pay it side. But then if it's supposedly wrong for them to ask for this money from me and I shouldn't give in to their 'bullying' by paying then why should I? :???:

It's people like your sister that help Jackie boost her bank balance. Fight, fight, fight, never allow avarice and injustice to triumph.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

alicepractie: Have a look at: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/campaigns/current_campaigns/consumer_campaigns/sam14/sam14-resources.htm

Then have a read of Jessica's story - The same tricks used to target the elderly can be just as effective against the younger generation. Get marked as an easy target now, and you could find yourself being targeted again and again.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I have to agree with the other posters.

This 'debt' does not exists. It is a fiction. It is a spurious amount dreamt up by some office jockey who thinks they will get away with it. Not if we have anything to do with it!

The only time a fictitious amount becomes a debt is when a Judge says it does. RLP cannot do court. Boots won't.

The only avenue for RLP is to send the letters and hope you capitulate. When they find you are stronger than them, they pass on this fictitious amount to their pet DCA of choice, Scotcall and what can Scotcall do? Send more letters!

Ignore any pseudo legalese statements in these letters as they have absolutely no meaning to you, even the court cases they state have no meaning to you.

It is easy for us to say 'trust us' but we have been doing this for a while and we have not seen any more cases go to court since July 2012.

Think on this. If Boots and RLP think they have a case, why have they not gone to court.....

Boots had their chance. They declined. I really wish people would only give their id to police.

Yes do not pay it. Put the letters somewhere safe. Ignore them. When the dca get in contact only send one letter stating you do not acknowledge any debt to them or their client.

Those letters are just as valid as if i made a debt up for 9 million goats heads and a fistfull of coin

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.