style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1918 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

flexible working generally works "first to ask gets. the next to ask, until it becomes unworkable, then no one else gets to ask."

"At departmental level" is a red herring, they do or they don't, the company has agreed it or they haven't.

So if they all do not work weekends etc because they have formal flexible working in place - I am afraid it is tough luck for you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 1 month later...

Secondment within or outside the organisation?

Does her contract have an "any other reasonable duties" clause?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

No. Unfortunately, I have no legal understanding of the reasons behind why. I would say that if their contract expires on the set date, it expires on the set date. Your friend has no legal obligation to work longer than their contract for her seconded role states.

No. Unfortunately, I have no legal understanding of the reasons behind why. I would say that if their contract expires on the set date, it expires on the set date. Your friend has no legal obligation to work longer than their contract for her seconded role states.

That would apply for an external secondment. Internal - it depends. Also her contract is permanent, I think?

• 1 year later...

I've heard of this elsewhere, notably a major supermarket where it's a month without overtime. It's a policy which comes back to bite them when there's a flu epidemic or the like. Employees who have been ill, recovered and returned cannot cover the hours of those who are subsequently stricken.

It is actually part of the NHS conditions that you cannot work overtime or do bank shifts for 2 weeks when you have been ill. My understanding of the reasoning behind this is that if you work overtime in those two weeks and end up being ill again there could be a comeback on the NHS via medical claims companies. I do believe there was a case attempted which prompted this action but can't find out the details.

I do work in the NHS in HR/Payroll so can offer some help in these areas.

A company I once worked for had a similar policy. So long as it is covered by contract and is applied equally it is perfectly legal, however as stated it can sometimes become unworkable when they need cover at short notice.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

yes, of course - you can get a doctors note if you are too ill to attend the meeting and need it postponed, but too ill to work isn't neccessarily too ill to go to a meeting.

Hi,

when we used to work bank holidays we would get paid enhanced rates and get the hours worked back as T.O.I.L,

that changed when a new manager came and told us we were no longer entitled to T.O.I.L

but i found the policy and found out we are still entitled to T.O.I.L.

I have raised it with H.R who agree with me and they are now looking at everybody's TOIL but can i claim for the previous two years?

Any help please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

i work shifts/on calls at a major hospital,

for over ten years on call staff have been given accomodation if on call from midnight till morning,

this was also explained at interview when i was employed and it only applies to staff who live more than twenty minutes travel time away.

the other day i came across a policy which was printed last year that says that the department is no longer obliged to offer this room for the night.

My question is,

as there was an implied contract for accomodation before this policy,

(implied means nothing in writing but established practice) can this policy be challenged now it is in writing.

Any help would be great as we would have to sleep in the coffee room or get a hotel!

CHEERS.

Are the department happy for it to take over 20 mins for you to attend the call out? That seems to be what the policy is saying.

Obliged is one thing, is it still happening in practice?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I was on call for a bank holiday between the hours of 18.00 and midnight,

my employer is saying that i'm not entitled to the hours back as per the on call policy because my call was not between 0800 and 1600 which are called core hours.

what they are saying is that they are only paying on call claims on a bank holiday between these core hours even though a bank holiday is 24 hours long.

Is this legal or can i challenge this?

Cheers.

what usually happens with on call when it isn't a bank holiday?

• 3 months later...