"other duties appropriate to the grade as and when required"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i wonder if anyone could advise on this

I work in the NHS and around 2006 we had a new pay structure implemented called "agenda for change" . It worked out that my basic pay actually dropped but other allowences i.e. working nights and weekends and working in inner London actually gave me an overall raise.

i received an updated letter at the time confirming my updated terms and conditions

Now, since then the job that i do has had a multitude of extra tasks/requirements added to it although the job description and person specification has remained the same

When i question a new role or task that i am given which was always done by someone of a higher grade in the past , i am continually told that "it changed when agenda for change was implemented" and then a manager will point out they can tell me do this new task as on my job description it states " other duties appropriate to the grade as and when required under the direction of line manager"

Ah the good old catch all clause!

Sadly not a huge amount you can do as you did technically agree to the clause at the time (or since simply by working under it without protesting). If you are in the Union it may well be worth trying to get them on board - list all of the things that have been added over time - and see if they will help with a grievance.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Ah the good old catch all clause!

Sadly not a huge amount you can do as you did technically agree to the clause at the time (or since simply by working under it without protesting). If you are in the Union it may well be worth trying to get them on board - list all of the things that have been added over time - and see if they will help with a grievance.

I should have been more clear - this : "other duties appropriate to the grade as and when required under the direction of line manager" was always in my job description ....BEFORE the new pay structure in 2006 , and a lot of the new stuff i being told to do now , before 2006 was always done by those of a higher grade - it just now seems every time i question it , i am told "its a reasonable request, as its appropriate to your grade"

The updated terms and conditions is signed back in 2006 , didnt add any extra dutiies or responibilites to my grade

Is it something that would require specific education or training to be able to do or is it more of the same kind of things you would be expected to do within your current job group and grade Look at the grading points andif there is something that you now do permanently that are of a higher grade then ask to be regraded.

Are the tasks you are being asked to compelte within your capability?

Do you have the correct level of training to complete them?

Is it meaning you are being prevented from doing the other parts of your role that you are expected to compelete?

Sometimes, and this is a personal view only and not related to anythnig in law. people do get too hung up on a role or title, my view is that you are employed at a grade within a company or organisation for X period of time per week, if you are asked to perform a task that is within your capabilites then why should you not complete it if required. But then again i have never subscribed to the wheel tappers and shunters union mentaility.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

I've got a similar issue........

I'm a multi skilled engineer.

5 years ago I was travelling Europe for a major electronics manufacturer, carrying out component testing and quality related tasks.

Present day the company I now work for is mainly office/admin based, they bundle in technical/lab work with stores related tasks..

The problem is they see anything technical as "dirty" work, so one minute i'm examining something with an electron microscope under lab conditions, the next i'm moving filing cabinets, cleaning floors or lifting pallets off trucks, whilst lesser skilled people look down at me whilst drinking their coffee.

I'm not even trusted to be alone for more than 5 minutes under the assumption i'll just do nothing or muck about on the internet.

It's slightly infuriating, that all these very stupid people talk to me as though i'm a lesser human being. They don't understand what I do/know, so they down play it as something simple for simple people.

No surprise then, that i'm filling my CV with all the relevant experience and looking for another job.