style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I arrived home today to find a hand delivered note from Equita stating someone had called to execute a liability order/distress warrant. It also states that if I fail to contact them within the next 24 hours they will have no alternative but to re-attend my home and remove goods for sale.

The debt is £551.01 and they have added £235 for enforcement making a total of £786.01.

This debt is for council tax at a previous address and I do not dispute the debt. I have already complained to my local council about the aggressive way I've been spoken to on the phone by employees of Equita. I was told that if Equita cannot get the debt from me they will hand it back to the council. This is what I expected to happen but now it seems Equita are not prepared to give up and of course they can now claim the £235 enforcement fee.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a single mother who works through an agency and I'm not always working.

Equita are capita, who most likely run the offices for your council. You had previously been told the council would take the debt back, but this was probably an outright lie by a capita employee so they could whack on charges. It was done before these new rules, and now they pretty much have free reign to do it now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Dare I say pay them.

I don't wish to be unsympathetic. There may be others who can advise you why you shouldn't but on the face of it to me it should be paid.

Yes it should be paid but it looks like Crapquita have been unwilling to arrange a payment plan until they can max out the fees. Incidentally the fees for Compliance and Enforcement stage are more than a week at minimum wage, so loading fees onto debt for someone on low income is counter productive. However OP should pay what they can afford and stick to it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

If they are not able to enforce it they will hand it back to the council

Not sure how these new fees will effect things

In the past when it has been handed back to the council there has been no bailiff fees just the original amount still owing

It was in my case

If there fees are to stand you would be best to pay the council directly that way you can pay at a rate that you can afford and the council can pass it on to them

• Confused 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If they are not able to enforce it they will hand it back to the council

Given how hard it was for many bailiffs to hand back cases when only £42 for two visits was in force, I think it will be very difficult now with so much more money being

involved.

I arrived home today to find a hand delivered note from Equita stating someone had called to execute a liability order/distress warrant. It also states that if I fail to contact them within the next 24 hours they will have no alternative but to re-attend my home and remove goods for sale.

The debt is £551.01 and they have added £235 for enforcement making a total of £786.01.

This debt is for council tax at a previous address and I do not dispute the debt. I have already complained to my local council about the aggressive way I've been spoken to on the phone by employees of Equita. I was told that if Equita cannot get the debt from me they will hand it back to the council. This is what I expected to happen but now it seems Equita are not prepared to give up and of course they can now claim the £235 enforcement fee.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a single mother who works through an agency and I'm not always working.

Before the enforcement stage is the compliance stage. This means you should have received a letter giving you 7 clear days either to settle the debt or make arrangements for it to be settled. Did you receive this letter?

If you did and ignored it (even if only because you were too scared to reply) then you have little option but to pay. HCEO's still do repayment plans don't they?

Before the enforcement stage is the compliance stage. This means you should have received a letter giving you 7 clear days either to settle the debt or make arrangements for it to be settled. Did you receive this letter? The Compliance Stage was taken to be from previous visits prior to April 6, as no arrangement in place they can move straight to Enforcement Stage without further letter. It appears to be an anomaly of the Transitional arrangements.

If you did and ignored it (even if only because you were too scared to reply) then you have little option but to pay. HCEO's still do repayment plans don't they? This is for Council Tax & anyway Equita aren't HCEO's.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]