Aldi - the worst neighbour in the world?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a note pushed through our door on Saturday saying the store will be having work carried out overnight from Monday, sorry for any inconvenience.

Store manager confirms drilling is involved and work will start after the store closes at 9pm and basically it's tough if we're disturbed.

Customer Services at Aldi passed me around 3 different departments before telling me there's nothing they can do.

Environmental health confirm this is totally unreasonable but they can only get involved after the noise starts. Last time they were doing work the drilling drowned out the television and continued until 3 am. Because of the noise they were making, it took environmental health more than 2 hours to gain entry to tell them to shut up and it took another hour after that before they did stop.

I've told them I've nominated them for Neighbour from Hell and I'll be checking in to an hotel tonight so they can expect the bill tomorrow.

Rant over!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Surly they would have needed planning permission to do this? Especially if its at night.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Apparently not, and it's not the first or even the second time they've done it, but they seem to think that as we've had advance warning this time, it's OK. And even if they end up with a fine, it'll be less than the profit they'd have lost by closing the store early, so they won't care.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Since it isn't the first or second time : Would the council help you get an injunction preventing noise nuisance at an unreasonable time?.

If the cost of breaching such exceeds the cost of closing during the day to allow the works they then may take a commercial decision to do so during the day.

By coincidence, the duty officer this evening also came out last time and has promised to be here within 10 minutes if there is a problem tonight - he agrees that it's not acceptable. I have heard occasional diy-type noise from about 2 this afternoon so they might have had second thoughts.

RMW

• 6 months later...

I worked for B&Q and the neighbours complained about the forklift noises after 9PM. Eventually B&Q were handed with a noise order and we couldn't unload lorry's at night anymore.

I'm sure the same thing would apply to Aldi?

• 11 months later...

Hello

I also live near an Aldi store and having been having trouble with them for 4-5 years. The Aldi Baguley store also brakes the law regularly. We have heard loud bangs, vehicle deliveries and resurfacing work between the hours of 11pm and 7am over the years.

Has your problem with them been resolved now?

My neighbour went into the store and the Management laughed at her when she complained.

Our Aldi store has now requested planning permission to expand which is not good news for it's neighbours.

No - the problems have actually got worse this summer. Toward the end of last year (and without planning permission) they increased the number of refrigeration units which meant they had to cut extra ventilation ducts around them. Not only does this mean the continuous drone of the refrigeration units can be heard from inside our apartment, but it's also between us and the delivery bays so now we get the noise of delivery lorries as well, quite often at either 2 am or 5 am, depending on their schedule that week.

After intervention by environmental health, they've agreed to restrict deliveries to between 7am and 11pm, but seriously, who wants to be woken up at 7 on a Sunday? They often sound as if they're playing football inside the trucks! And they don't always stick to it - we go a couple of months with no issues and then they're back to the 2 am slot for a week, but before EH can get the recorders in, they stop again. Basically they don't give a stuff about their neighbours, and as I said above, any fine would be far less than the profit they'd lose by being more community friendly, so they just carry on regardless.

RMW

We have also found that they quieten down for a short while when we've complained to the environmental health, and then the problem resumes. I'm wondering how many of us there are out there being disturbed by Aldi. If somehow we can find other people we may be able to do more about it. Aldi has just been voted best supermarket, but it's definitely the worst neighbour!

I've decided that everytime I am disturbed, I'm going to complain to environment health, complain to Aldi (in an email to head office) and put something about it on Twitter. That way perhaps we will find more people and be able to stand up against them.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately the noise issue with Aldi has popped up again. After nearly 12 months of sticking to the 'after 7am' rule for deliveries, they've chosen the run up to Christmas to start arriving at 5am again, or actually it's usually about 10 to. The only mornings in the last two weeks that we haven't been woken were when they were shut, this morning it was 4.48!

I've spoken to the store staff in the hope that it was just because of extra deliveries for Christmas, they allegedly know nothing about the 7am rule and believe 5am is their normal slot. The manager, according to Head Office, says there have been no deliveries at 5am, with the implication that we're either imagining it or complaining for the hell of it - this despite me sending a time-stamped photo of this morning's lorry!

I hope that after a quite heated exchange of emails all will be quiet again for a while, but I've also involved Environmental Health (again) and the Planning department (again) just in case - or they will be involved when they get back to work tomorrow. I've put comments on Facebook and Twitter without any noticeable effect before, but I've done that again too.

Whether or not there's a delivery tomorrow morning, this clearly cannot be allowed to continue, it's worse than the roundabout that is the current ESA system! Once I've been woken I find it pretty much impossible to get back to sleep so the whole day ends up disrupted. If we have to go through the whole diary and sound recorder thing every time, that disruption lasts for about 6 weeks, by which time I would kill for a decent night's sleep - and I don't mean one where I go to bed at 9 to be on the safe side!

Anyone know how to bring a claim for nuisance?

RMW