NRAM / Marlin / Mortimer Clarke Claim***Settled by Tomlin Order***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Draft defense below, im not sure if 4,5 & 6 are applicable?

1. I requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CPR 31.14 on 15th March on the 20th March I received a reply containing a copy of the first page of a credit agreement, with no terms and conditions and also a copy of notice of assignment. Also included was a note saying the claimant was taking their clients instructions to the remainder of my request:

The default notice

Termination notice

Statement of account

I appreciate that a CPR31.14 is a civil request and the claimant is not compelled to reply, but having confirmed they would supply the requested documents they failed to do so.

2. On the 27th March a Section 77/78 request was made to the claimant, this was signed for by the claimant on 28th March. The claimant has declined to respond and remains in default of the section 77/78 request.

3.The Particulars of Claim are denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement or contract with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show the nature of breach and provide evidence of any Default Notice and Notice of Sums in Arrears

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. Furthermore, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 and 196 of the Law of Property Act 1925 and Section 82 (a) of the consumer crediticon Act 1974.

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As its one of my defences and your claim is subject to the debt being assigned 4/5/6 are very applicable.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy, thanks so much. So i'll submit that defence through MCOL. Sorry to be nit picky but point 5 mentions law of property act 1925. Sorry to sound a bit dumb but does that apply to a secured loan? Mine was unsecured. Just dont want to put in anything that will come back to bite me..

Thanks

The Law of Property Act 1925 legislates debt assignments...not secured or unsecured loans truaguns:madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

OK submitted defence, last question before the easter break :-).

On post #23, i mentioned that they'd taken the original loan off of my credit report and replaced it with their own version, showing a default for feb with no history, while the previous NRAM entry showed amounts going back to start of loan. There is now an entry for march increasing the balance by £21. Can they just go into people credit reports creating entries and deleting others when a claim is in dispute?

Have a happy easter all.

Edited by truaguns
typo

In a word ..yes...as they are now the legal owner of the debt.

• 2 months later...

" take further advice from their clients...":lol: my a***

Well put... Waiting game now.

Think i'll have an MKDP (different) one coming up, multiple calls, texts and letters the last month. Latest letter, last one before legal action, but it's not too late to settle before action... We'll see.

• 1 month later...

Well there's nothing to set a side at the moment and a strike out can be very risky and expensive should they fight it....its not doing you any harm why bother?

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Finally had a reply from Mortimer Clarke. See attached.

The only new thing they have given me is the terms and conditions, which may or may not be from the original and 2 plain pieces of paper with payments made with the account number as reference along with dates and amounts (I've not scanned this).

There is an odd thing on this sheet, the payments start in Sep 2006 and there is a regular payment for the same amount each month, however on the March 2008 payment they have an amount of £0, although it says 'payment made thankyou', this march payment is never taken again elsewhere. I have checked back and know 100% that the payment was taken from my account on the date indicated for the usual monthly amount.

They have resupplied the signed agreement, but it still does not seem to be from the original, but rather a print out of a microfiche. It seems to be from the same source as the T&C's so why they didn't send these originally i don't know. Makes me wonder if the are reconstituted from elsewhere.

With regards to the default notice, which i am also 100% sure i never had. They claim that this was issued by the original lender in August 2011, but fail to include it.

They have supplied a expense sheet, which is nice of them..

Not that this has much bearing on it but i have moved since the original correspondance, probably why the letter is dated 4th Sep and i didn't receive it until the 15th. they've also kindly given me 7 days to reply, despite the fact they've kept me hanging on for almost 6 months.

Anyone have any thoughts on a response, I'm not really to sure what to go back with.

Thanks all, round 2!

So it looks as if they have all that is required to proceed ...it your call now if you wish to call their bluff or offer a proposal.

Regards

Andy

No creditor keeps a hard copy of Default Notice....they just have to show from their data that one was served.

The agreement appears to be the original to me...errors on a statement does not determine that you are not liable for the alleged debt.

Thanks Andy, I was going to send a letter to them:

You mentioned in the particulars of claim, a default notice which was alleged to have been issued by the original creditor on **/**/2011. I have never received this, as you have made mention of said default notice in your claim it is your responsibility to provide a copy on request or make available at some time during the proceedings.

You have provided a copy of an account statement, this has errors on.

Further to the above, could you please provide the correct statement of account and a copy of the default notice?

Although you have taken almost 5 months to respond to my defence, you now expect me to reply in 7 days, despite me not receiving your letter until 15/09/2014. I feel it is unreasonable for you to expect such a quick response. ********************************

But from what you say this is pointless, what do you mean by call their bluff? Just ignore them and wait for the directions questionnaire etc?

At what point do these compaines usually end negotiations and go straight for the CCJ. What i mean is, before judgement is issued can you still negotiate right up until then. I have read about Tomlin orders etc.

Thanks again.

Edited by truaguns

This is the position...they have made a claim you have submitted a defence...that is your final response for now.They had no need to disclose the above at this stage ...that comes further into proceedings just before trial date.

They are testing the water and trying to get a response from you (from the above you are about to fall for it) and in a way trying to mediate.

They have a couple of options now at their disposal...they can either;-

Mediate and try to settle or they can make application for Summary Judgment if they think your defence has no merit and what they have disclosed is good enough to support their claim.

Or they can inform the court to allocate the claim and proceed to trial.

You can respond...but dont argue the merits of what they have done or not done....but signal that there could be away to settle this by way of a Consent or Tomlin Order but considering their deficiencies within their claim you are only prepared to offer £x and only over a monthly payment plan...no order for costs and no CCJ.

Or you could disregard it and sit tight and await any allocation and proceed to trial.

Settlement by Consent is not a failure it puts you back to pre litigation...on a firm footing with regards to repayments...no judgment and no costs....unless of course you consider that you are not liable for the alleged debt...partially or at all.

Andy

Hmmm ok Andy Thanks.

You've made my options clear and given me something to think about. I'll give it some thought and let you know what I decide, assuming other caggers are interested.

Thanks again much appreciated.

So I've had a think and I'm not prepared to just go ahead and offer a settlement, when in effect they haven't given me anything they hadn't already supplied 5 months ago, other than an incorrect statement of account and a note saying the default notice was sent, with no proof, seeing as they state in the particulars the DN, shouldn't they have a copy?

The question is do i go back to them saying these things and see what they say or just ignore them and see what happens. I assume they will go ahead with the CCJ, in which case i'll go from there. I've also moved from the address they're sending correspondance to. I guess i should inform them of my new address?

Also what's the difference them going for summary judgement and them getting the court to allocate. I thought (naively) they were the same thing..?

Summary judgment is in effect judgment without full trial...the case is determined on their application and WS.

Yes, you must inform the court and the claimant/solicitor of your new address as both are likely to be sending you correspondence.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update, i settled this with a Tomlin order payable monthly over 3 years, total to be paid back a lot less than that which was claimed.

So in a way it could be deemed a success, but who knows if i had been willing to stay the course.... Anyway settled now.

Huge thanks to Andyorch and citizenB, without your help I would have been lost.

Thanks again.