Next Door Water Damage to Property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have a quick question which hopefully some of you may be able to answer. Our next door neighbour has had a water leak which was discovered by us last night when we noticed damp patches in our walls. They are away from the house for long periods of time (no more than 30 days though), the matter ended today with the local police smashing the door down and isolating the leak and my questions is thus.

I rang my insurer (Swiftcover) and if there is any damage to our house it has be lodged as a claim against our insurance and they wouldn't be able to recover the costs from next door as they haven't been negligible in this instance. Does this seem right? I would have thought that even if they weren't negligible the costs could be claimed from their insurer. (They are insured too, I'm not sure who by) Both properties are owner occupied. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Yes Swiftcover are correct in what they have said. You will have to claim on your policy and there is no claim back possible against the neighbour.

It would be a different story for example if the neighbour knew they had a faulty washing machine, which everytime they used it, caused flooding to a neighbours house, but they did nothing to stop it happening. e.g stop using the machine or get it fixed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok thanks at least it clears it up, at least I feel a bit better now that somebody independent has confirmed it. Just for clarification if they had left their property for over 30 days would that have made them negligible then? They sometimes can leave for over 30 days but on this occasion they hadn't and that had been confirmed by the post they had opened in the house. Just asking?

Ok thanks at least it clears it up, at least I feel a bit better now that somebody independent has confirmed it. Just for clarification if they had left their property for over 30 days would that have made them negligible then? They sometimes can leave for over 30 days but on this occasion they hadn't and that had been confirmed by the post they had opened in the house. Just asking?

The number of days makes no difference to negligence.

If the property is regularly unoccupied and they have not advised their Insurers, it could affect whether the Insurance is valid. But it is not really any of your business. Enjoy the peace and quiet. You could have Ozzy Osbourne living next door singing 24 hours a day.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread