Caught shoplifting from Primark

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Guys,

I need an advice,

I am really sorry and upset of what i did but now i cant change the past.

On 1st Feb 2014 I was caught shoplifting from Primark worth 4 pounds.

There was no police involve

they took me to a room and gave me RLP information and

was told that they will contact me and

you have to pay the fine.

If i will not pay they will find me from anywhere and deport me to my country.

I am an Indian international student above 18.

I am very scared of this whole incident as its a foreign country for me.

My questions are :

I am ready to pay the RLP but how much approximately will be the fine?

If I will pay will it be the end of the matter?

I really dont want to get deported or be in a jail.

Do i get a receipt from RLP online when i pay so that i can show to anyone if i am in trouble?

Primark guards told me since they have the CCTV footage you cant run anywhere..

my worry is if i pay to RLP will they not threaten me further?

I want to pay and just want to get over with it.

I am very scared

please help me as

i am an international student of student visa

and will be leaving the country in July 2014.

I dont want anyone stopping me at the airport.

its very scary.

I have learnt the lesson.

Please help me to be out of this problem.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to CAG

I have moved your post from the end of an existing thread to one of its own so that you get tailored help.

First and foremost the police were not involved therefore you will not get a criminal record nor will that affect your ability to leave or return to the UK. That is as clear as I can make it. so stop worrying over that please.

As to RLP, please read other threads and you will see just what this company is all about-profit. Nothing to do with deterring shoplifters.

RLP have NO POWER over you and there is nothing they can do apart from send a few snotty letters with the intent of scaring you even more than you already are. Under no circumstance should you pay them. If you did it just legitimise their unscrupulous practices.

RLP cannot tak anyone to court. Only Primark can and for £4, they are not going to bother.

Once you get the first letter, come back and we can assist in the rebuff of RLP

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I was told by someone who works for Primark security unit,

that these people can catch you anywhere,

since they have a cctv recording you cant run anywhere.

Trust me I am very sorry for what i did and

i can pay money no matter RLP is valid or not.

I just want to be out of this trap as i am a foreign student here.

They took my address name and DOB plus they clicked my picture too. :( .

Only thing i am worried it how much will be the fine and will this be a end of the matter.

I understand i read everywhere dont pay to RLP.

But how about the cctv footage and the picture they clicked of me.

If i will not pay they can catch hold of me isnt it?

What the security staff told you is in English, Bovine Excrement or Bull s**t.

They take your name, address and DOB so that RLP can send you the letters. Anything else that they tell you is rubbish. The only CCTV they have access to is in the store, not on the streets, nowhere else!

They are not allowed to pass on anything about you to anyone else without your permission. It's called the Data Protection Act 1998.

The security staff lied. Plain and simple. They do it to scare you and they have succeeded.

As you are leaving the country in July this year, you will likely get two or three letters before you go. What else can RLP do-NOTHING, NOWT, NADA, ZILCH.

If you were to take a glance at the RLP website, the last time a court case was taken was june/july 2012 and after the slapping they got in the Oxford case, no retailer wants to go there.

Stop worrying (if you can) and treat them like they want to treat you.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Cool your post is very motivating,

i will going to write you again when i am going to get a letter.

Hope whatever you said is true.

I dont want to be in any trouble.

I am more worried coz i am not an UK or EU citizen and

when it comes to Asians they behave differently.

Also there was no loss to the store they took the products.

But this is strange if RLP lost the case still big store like PRIMARK and boots contact them.

Whats their profit in it?

The profit for RLP and other companies like them is the 90% of people who have shoplifted, got caught and paid up without ever thinking that what RLP are doing is potentially unlawful instead of doing what you did, search the net. The more people that do their research, the less money RLP get which can only be a good thing.

RLP will say that the costs incurred are for the security staff being diverted from their usual practice. Actually, their costs are factored into the prices shoppers pay.

When you get the first letter, come back and we can help see Jackie off (boss of RLP)

Hi jaya jain

Silverfox is 100% correct in what he says, when you get these letters do not allow them to intimidate you, they will contain all sorts of stuff, like the Magna Carta the year 1215. The letter is a speculative invoice, quite meaningless.

Hi jaya jain

Silverfox is 100% correct in what he says, when you get these letters do not allow them to intimidate you, they will contain all sorts of stuff, like the Magna Carta the year 1215. The letter is a speculative invoice, quite meaningless.

does anyone have an idea, who has completely ignored the letters and still nothing happened to them. I am only worried coz I am an Indian international student

If you were to look at the RLP website where the claim to have processed court cases, the last entry is July 2012. Remember, RLP take NO-ONE to court. Only the shop where the theft occurred can do that. RLP like you to think it is they that took the cases to court which is why they post cases on their site.

In the unlikely event that court action was instigated by primark, a defence is quite easy and I have researched as much as I can about Primark and court cases. I have found none. Primark are not interested in taking anyone to court as it would be a small claim and it would cost them more than they could claim.

This will not result in you getting a criminal conviction. I can't make it any clearer than that.

does anyone have an idea, who has completely ignored the letters and still nothing happened to them. I am only worried coz I am an Indian international student

Hello there.

Have a read around the forum, there are plenty of people who have ignored. If they had been threatened with court, they would have been back here for more help, wouldn't they? I need to go off forum, but there is one particular person who has kept in touch, I'll have a look for their thread later, if nobody else has replied.

I think I'm right in saying that the last court case we're aware of is Oxford, which was over a year ago.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks !! Still will mail you ones i get the letter. The problem is i stay in the college hall. Sometimes the letters get misplaced. I really dont now even if they sent already and i have not received yet.

The guy the primark told me, dont try to run anywhere there are cameras everywhere in the UK and they will catch hold of u anywhere and put in jail. because we have the camera footage.

I think I'm right in saying that the last court case we're aware of is Oxford, which was over a year ago.

We must have been responding at the same time. There were two more cases after the Oxford one, both (allegedly) won by the retailer (NOT RLP!!!)

One was staff theft which is totally different to shoplifting and the other was a couple of days after the Oxford case which was defended and lost but of course as it was a county court claim, sets no precedent.

The guy the primark told me, dont try to run anywhere there are cameras everywhere in the UK and they will catch hold of u anywhere and put in jail. because we have the camera footage.

As mentioned before. That is a lie. Yes they do have cameras but only inside the stores, not in the street. Only a CRIMINAL court can send you to jail, not some jumped up security guard.

Last thing i want to clarify once the Primark has send us back home with the RLP letter, the primark is out of picture right?

as u mentioned only primark can shoot a case but not anyone else.

And if Primark wanted to do anything they would have never sent me back.

but it looks like money making business for RLP but what is the benefit Primark getting?

do they divide the profit when the people give fines to RLP?

The amount of sharing of money obtained is confidential but we can assume that it is at least a 60/40 split with RLP getting the lions share. It could be more.

Once RLP get involved, Primark do not have any further interest apart from any funds they may get. RLP will try and make you believe that the opposite is true and that they are in contact with Primark all the time. No they are not. This costs time and money so RLP will only contact Primark if it is absolutely essential.

And if Primark wanted to do anything they would have never sent me back

Not sure what you meant by that line. Clarification please.

I meant if Primark wanted to punish me by fine or by police. They would have never let me go after the incidence. They would have called the police or so. But they let go of me and told me this whole RLP story.

That is true. If Primark or the security staff wanted to get the police involved, they would have done it straight away while you were in the store. They cannot do so now.

• 3 weeks later...
All right thanks !! will keep u posted !! i hope i just dont the mail at all.

Hi jaya jain,

I have read your situation. I am just wondering if you received any letters from RLP already. We have the same situation pls update me. :( im scared as hell now.

Thank you

Scared as hell about what? Rlp cannot do anything to you. At all.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D