Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder downmum Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Default Esa tribunal in jan 2014

Hi all,

im trying to get some advice re esa tribunal for a friend who is in pieces at the short hearing date - only had 15 days to prepare.

A big pack has arrived which contains all the paperwork from both atos and him and well its a minefiled.

I cant understand some of the paperwork as their is a lot of legal jargon.

Problem he faces - everyone including dr and hospital consultants are away over xmas and new year so he is unable to get any supporting documents in time.

2 questions really.......

1. Can we request a later hearing date

2. If the hearign still goes ahead how should we approach it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Default Re: Esa tribunal in jan 2014

just to add there is a medical report from 2010 - carried out independantly by his work place - which outlined in detail his health condition. Is it a good idea to use this as I believe it is still valid to his current medical conditions. admittedly it does not mention much about the care needs.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Only thinking of what can be used in absence of DR or Hospital Consultant Report if tribunal goes ahead as scheduled.

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    Pixie land.

Hello there.

I'll move your thread to the benefits forum where we have plenty of people who know about ESA tribunals. There will be a short term redirect from this forum to the new one for you to follow.

HB

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    Pixie land.

Here's a link to the forum stikky about tribunals.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...iewing%29-nbsp

One of the things you can do is to go through the Atos report and find any errors, contributions and omissions in it. That's where I started when I had my tribunal. That information should help you start to add to the templateicon in the stikky and start the submission document. You need to mug up on the DWP's descriptors [link in the stikky] and figure out which apply to your friend and how many points they should have scored.

I'm sure the forum guys will have other suggestions about medical information, tribunals and so on.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

IB/ESA Tribunal template successes [that I know about]:
    honeybee13 April 2008; brighton gal January 2010 ; cbbc May 2010 lee100 September 2010 HadEnough October 2010 nitelite February 2011 Pritti March 2011
    Nottingham1989 [with leemack] June 2011
    Follows
    Following

Site Team **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2012

:downmum:

Suspect the preparation for this tribunal's been put off until the last minute? And now it's panic stations. Not an unusual scenario with the end of funding for help with first tier tribunals. Your friend can apply in writing for a postponement, but it's unlikely to be granted unless there's a genuine last minute bereavementicon or domestic emergency, or he's only received the 'bundle' from Jobcentreplus within the last few days. And he shouldn't assume a postponement without written confirmation.

With the bank holidaysicon your friend's already out of time for a submission of written evidence via the Tribunals Support Centre, but if he gets something prepared it can be sent directly to the venue or three copies taken on the day. The tribunal will hear the case as scheduled unless there isn't time for them to read a 'book'. Even at this late stage it's worth preparing a written submission of evidence cos it clarifies thinking and helps the appellant to answer the questions from the tribunal panel.

The booklet at the sixth link of :honeybee13:'s guide has the exceptional/special circumstances for an award of employment n support on pages 10 - 12 and the descriptors for activities that are relevant to the workplace on pages 18 - 28.

One way to approach a written submission of evidence is to identify the descriptors you and your friend believe he meets, then write each one at the top of a separate sheet of A4 or word doc. For each descriptor quote what Atos have said, then write a paragraph to explain where Atos got it wrong. Followed by several paragraphs about how it really is for your friend. Along the lines of; cos of X, can't do Y. Refer to the medical evidence you've got and illustrate what you're saying with examples from day to day life. For example; cos the nearest bus stop is n metres away, my friend has to leave work early to take me to the doctor/hospital/collect medication from the pharmacy.

Slot the paragraphs into the templateicon. Then, if applicable, add a paragraph about why being found fit for work/work related activity would constitute a substantial risk to the health of your friend or someone else.

The 2010 medical report can be used so long as it's relevant to your friend's ability, or inability, to perform the specified descriptors at the time of the Atos assessment. (Cos articular cartilage doesn't regenerate, I once had a tribunal influenced by a ten years old scan which showed missing cartilage.) And I've also put statements from carers to good use. Doesn't have to be an officially registered carer, so long as s/he can put together a few paragraphs about the care they give the appellant cos of the descriptors the appellant can't do. And even better if the carer's prepared to be a witness.

Sincerely, Margaret.

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Quick question

is each area scored out of 15 points as i have now gone through them all and have got a total fo 120 points my friend should have been given. From the threshold of 15 points to 120 sounds a lot to me.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

just also wanted to say thank you to you all for the help and advice i found it really useful in helping prepare my friends appeal case.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    South west

Quote Originally Posted by downmum View Post
    Quick question

is each area scored out of 15 points as i have now gone through them all and have got a total fo 120 points my friend should have been given. From the threshold of 15 points to 120 sounds a lot to me.
    If you have looked at each criteria separately and scored them accurately, then yes, you total the score. I only managed 93! Does your friend meet any of the support group criteria?

RMW
    "If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

not sure what the criteria of the support group is.... where does one look for that

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

just looked it up online and reading through if the appeal is upheld and the correct scoring given to my friend then he should be put in a support group also!

Site Team **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative **Margaret** Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2012

:downmum:

It's important to understand that eligibility for employment n support with the support component doesn't depend on points or a score. Some of the 15 point descriptors are also descriptors for the support component, but not all of them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ity-assessment

Exceptional circumstances for being found to have limited capability for work related activity (support group) on pages 11 - 12.

Descriptors of limited capability for work related activity (support group) on pages 26 - 28. Only one needs to be satisfied.

Margaret.

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Thanks Margaret.

My friend won his appeal & he has been put in a support group!

I'm over the moon for him

Just now need to understand what happens now. I'm presuming they will back date any payments owed to him.

How does the support group work? Is anyone on here that might know & shed some light?

Once again a massive thank you all for the support & advice as it shows even at the last stage of prep everything helps no matter how small. I couldn't have done it without ur guidance on the site

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative reallymadwoman Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    South west

All payments should be backdated to when the money was originally reduced to the appeal rate or, if it is a new claim, to week 14.

Support group means that he doesn't have to do anything - no work focussed interviews or anything. If the tribunal recommended a period before he should be reassessed then DWP should but may not adhere to it.

RMW
    "If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Thanks RMW I'll let him know as he's been on appeal rate!

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Congratulations! It may take a few weeks for back pay to be sorted. However long it takes, no money will be lost and your friend will get all the money owed to him.

With support group, you don't have to do anything. You can contact an adviser at the JCP if you wish.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK Authoritative RaeUK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    a world of my own ...

Well done. As said, it can take several weeks for back payments to be made. Actually, it can take several weeks before the DWP are made aware of the Tribunal result.
    Once it's been finalised, your friend should receive a letter confirming everything. What it won't do, is say how long he / she is in the Support Group for. As this can vary widely, I'd suggest a phone callicon to their BDC to confirm length,

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Thanks both.

For now we're just happy tribunal went in our favour.

Having read the decision myself it also states on the letter "tribunal recommends xxxxx should not be reassessed for a period of 2 years". I'm presuming this is the length of time my friend will be in support group!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    abc123def Informative abc123def Informative abc123def Informative abc123def Informative abc123def Informative abc123def's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Nope, the length of time the Tribunal suggests, is just a suggestion and the dwp can do as it likes. It's not a rare occurance for them to send out another ESA50 straight away following a Tribunal despite a 2 year recommendation.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    South west

But the recent review did suggest that DWP should start adhering to tribunal recommendations and should anyway have a minimum of 6 months between a tribunal and reassessment so any suggestion of an earlier assessment should be challenged I think.

RMW
    Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE