1st central - tried to change my vehicle to find out they should not have insured existing vehicle now cant cancel

watthama
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

went to replace my vehicle and amend my insurance to cover the new car (import) to which the insurance said they cant cover imports. My problem is the car they have covered is an import and all vehicles of its type are. I am now at the point where i believe my insurance to be invalid and never to have been valid. When i tried to cancel they said they couldnt it would have to be referred. So now i am stuck with having paid apx £600 for invalid insurance which i now cannot cancel and therefore cannot get valid insuracnce as the no claims is on the invalid policy.They tried to state that it has been wrongly insured and there was a small tickbox that should have been ticked to state the vehicle was an import. All well and good but the policy was done over the phone therefore it is them who did not 'tick the box' nor realise from the vehicle registration/details that it only could be an import.What can i do? and can i claim the money back for the invalid policy? does this mean that the car has been driven without insurance because of the companies mistake in insuring it? can i use my no claims for a new policy seen as how this is invalid and i have tried to cancel?

1st Central are an awful company according to so many reports online.

Because you arranged cover over the phone and they accepted the risk, then the policy would be valid. Therefore they should issue relevant no claim discount proof to you, to assist you in arranging cover elsewhere for the new car.

Car Insurance is a legal requirement, therefore I doubt that in the circumstances, 1st Central would gain agreement from the policy underwriters to void the Insurance from inception. I suspect that they did not ask you whether the car was an import and just accepted the details of the car that you provided.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

1st Central are an awful company according to so many reports online.

Because you arranged cover over the phone and they accepted the risk, then the policy would be valid. Therefore they should issue relevant no claim discount proof to you, to assist you in arranging cover elsewhere for the new car.

Car Insurance is a legal requirement, therefore I doubt that in the circumstances, 1st Central would gain agreement from the policy underwriters to void the Insurance from inception. I suspect that they did not ask you whether the car was an import and just accepted the details of the car that you provided.

No the policy was on a previous car and we phoned to get it shifted to the new car. that car needs too much money spending on it to keep it on the road so we purchased a replacement and tried to swap cover to the new car. This is when we were informed they should not have covered us in the first place. they said we could not cancel as it had to be referred now we are stuck in limbo.

No the policy was on a previous car and we phoned to get it shifted to the new car. that car needs too much money spending on it to keep it on the road so we purchased a replacement and tried to swap cover to the new car. This is when we were informed they should not have covered us in the first place. they said we could not cancel as it had to be referred now we are stuck in limbo.

Yes I know that. 1st Central Insurance underwriters will have to accept that they provided cover for the old car and issue the no claim discount proof. They cannot cancel the policy backdated, because they accepted the risk for which you provided the details. Car Insurance is a legal requirement and therefore they cannot backdate the cancellation.

1st Central Insurance should just get on with it and cancel the policy from the date you contacted them to change the car. Then issue the no claim discount proof.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread