How To Decline A Smart Meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No-one from nationalgrid is in any hurry to respond.

They edict'ed me with another installation date before my stated date and despite me notifying them that I require confirmation that they will not be attempting to install a smart meter before access will be agreed.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No-one from nationalgrid is in any hurry to respond.

They edict'ed me with another installation date before my stated date and despite me notifying them that I require confirmation that they will not be attempting to install a smart meter before access will be agreed.

There is the possibility that the varying departments have not communicated properly and that this is just a standard letter or error.

Personally, if this were me, my next step would be an immediate written complaint about this and re stating your own time line boundary and requests of written clarity etc. Asking them for confirmation of receipt of Notice of non-consent and liability, Re-pointing out that one is legally entitled to decline a smart metre and asking for their confirmation that they fully understand and will comply with this.

However on a darker note, these kinds of errors do seem widespread. There is no place for this sort of pressure tactic.

However, perhaps the best place to get advice from is the stops mart metres - there maybe even another template available for this next stage (if there isn't - there should be)...

There is the possibility that the varying departments have not communicated properly and that this is just a standard letter or error.

Personally, if this were me, my next step would be an immediate written complaint about this and re stating your own time line boundary and requests of written clarity etc. Asking them for confirmation of receipt of Notice of non-consent and liability, Re-pointing out that one is legally entitled to decline a smart metre and asking for their confirmation that they fully understand and will comply with this.

However on a darker note, these kinds of errors do seem widespread. There is no place for this sort of pressure tactic.

They referred to my requested date saying it 'wasn't available' and just came back saying they were coming next week.

So they know and are deliberately ignoring and trying to just force a quick date with no agreement to no smart meter.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

http://stopsmartmeters.org/how-you-can-stop-smart-meters/

I am just learning this on the hop too...

I found this link: a checklist.

I haven't read it all yet. Isn't there also a template people send to the tv license company informing them you do not give them permission to put a foot on your property or else it is trespass? Could that apply too,?

Keep Calm

And

Stay Analog

:-)

Isn't there also a template people send to the tv license company informing them you do not give them permission to put a foot on your property or else it is trespass? Could that apply too,?

No.

The energy companies own the meters and are entitled to inspect and maintain them, and I dont have an issue with that.

If you just deny them access, then they would be entitled to a court order, and change it then,

.. but that is NOT the case for denying permission to fit smart meters to the property, which I have already done, but they may just ignore despite it being illegal to fit the meters against your will.

They would then presumably hope that installation is 9 tenths of the law - particularly as I am NOT a customer of the installers - nationalgrid. I would just get the run around.

The Tory Legacy

Yeah sorry, I should have been clearer...

I believe their only legal right is to maintain the meter and for consumers to make the data available to them. I was wondering if it would be possible to state that you only want this doing, since it is on your property, in your presence - by appointment. Or else it is trespass.

Some electricians are replacing smart meters back to analog (don't know if this is uk). This seems like a reasonable thing to do to me if one is forced upon anyone. In the cases I have read one needs to video the professional removal of the smart meter to take care it is not damaged and send the smart meter property recorded delivery, safely packaged - back to them

so definitely not 'installation 9/10th of the law' . Have no idea on uk law so this needs clarifying but it seems unlawful to me to be installing a smart meter without expressed informed written consent.

I was reading the FAQ on Stop Smart meters and getting everything on writing seems like the way to go. I particularly like the list of questions to put to them and mention of Dan Rogerson MP who in 2014 confirmed that consumers may refuse SMART meters.

"

Q: The company isn’t budging — they are saying that I’m getting a smart/AMR/AMI meter whether I want one or not.

A; We are not aware of any laws stating that that water companies have the right to force you to have a ‘smart’ or AMR/AMI meter — which does more than meters your usage and in the process exposes you and your family to a known environmental health risk.

Make sure that your communications are now in writing, and delivery is recorded for use later if necessary.

You are in a commercial relationship with your water provider and it is reasonable for you to challenge anything that you feel is unlawful or illegal. It is also reasonable for you to ask and be provided with full disclosure of all of the facts associated with any technology that your water company are insisting you have in or near to your home.

If you have not done so already, you may wish to ensure you have answers to the following questions:

• What are the exact frequencies (measured in Hz, MHz + Ghz) used by your meters – both the carrier and the data signal components?
  • How many times are signals emitted per minute/hour/day from the meter – not just data messages, but network mgt messages, etc.?
  • What power densities are present at 1m, 3m, 5m and 10m from the meter
  • Please confirm whether you are aware of any evidence of harm caused by the frequencies/power densities associated with your Smart/AMR Meters, and if so provide details?
  • Do your smart/AMR/AMI meters use RF/MW signals for flow control or measurement, for data transmission, or both?
  • Is the unit capable of being remotely disconnected, terminating my supply?
  • What temperatures is the unit rated to (highest/lowest)? What happens to the unit — and to my water supply — if these temperates are breached?
  • Is the unit designed to “fail-to-off” in the event of the meter being instructed, compromised or affected by, for example, hackers or adverse weather events?
  • How is the unit’s security handled? What security technology is used to prevent hacking?
  • Please confirm the manufacturer and model being proposed
  • What pre-market safety testing was done on this device?
  • Are you aware of any research that has been conducted on the effects of microwave radiation on water? Please provide details.
  • Dan Rogerson MP confirmed in April 2014 that I am under no obligation to have a ‘smart’ meterwhat evidence do you have supporting any claims that I must have a ‘smart’/AMR/AMI meter specifically or any kind of meter which has capabilities beyond the explicit and sole function of metering usage?
  • Are any of your company directors prepared to sign a formal, written Statement of Accountability taking full and personal responsibility for any harm that may be caused to me, my child and/or unborn baby as a result of insisting that I have a ‘smart’/AMR/AMI meter fitted?

If in any doubt, consult a trained legal professional.

- See more at: http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/faq/#sthash.hTRDDoys.dpuf "

No.

The energy companies own the meters and are entitled to inspect and maintain them, and I dont have an issue with that.

If you just deny them access, then they would be entitled to a court order, and change it then,

.. but that is NOT the case for denying permission to fit smart meters to the property, which I have already done, but they may just ignore despite it being illegal to fit the meters against your will.

They would then presumably hope that installation is 9 tenths of the law - particularly as I am NOT a customer of the installers - nationalgrid. I would just get the run around.

A comment stated that 'The National Grid have no licence obligation - I found that information interesting' Is this the same 'National Grid' I wondered.

A comment stated that 'The National Grid have no licence obligation - I found that information interesting' Is this the same 'National Grid' I wondered.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=no+licence+obligation+national+grid+2015&form=IE11TR&src=IE11TR&pc=LCJB

'No licence obligation' National Grid reference 2015

I would prefer (and have) now simply stated that :

permission to install a so called 'smart meter' of any form is refused and installation of such will not be permitted as is my right.

I'm not interested in arguing the ins and outs with the installers, which will simply cloud the core truth that I dont have to accept them, and wont.

The Tory Legacy

I hope it remains that simple for you, as it should be :-)

Absolutely.

The place for the health, privacy and practicality and whether compulsory or choice arguments are only relevant if taken up with the regulators, politicians and law makers, not the installers.

Hence two approaches

- nice and simple for the installers - not compulsory - and not authorised

All doubts highlighted as complex and dragged out as necessary to all legislative parties, as long as the current state remains - not compulsory

The Tory Legacy

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/wearesparkle/pressreleases/first-smart-meter-installer-training-centre-opens-doors-960718

A special smart meter training centre opened in 2014 in Invincible Drive, Newcastle. A job advertising for training says its where you go to 'learn the tricks of the trade'. hmmmm. It is well paid. I expect this is deliberate too to add pressure onto consumers to accept these smart meters.

Roll out has begun - Autumn 2015.

If anyone does want to lock up their outside meter cupboard I've found a good, cheap and easy option.

Hope posting an ebay link is OK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAM-LOCK-LOCKS-DESK-LOCKERS-DRAWERS-CUPBOARDS-CHOOSE-16-MM-20-MM-27-MM-32-MM-NEW-/281786230153?var=&hash=item419bc4a589:m:m4JTy7dl5VUrAa2vvfYH_yQ

Cheap and you just need to drill a 16mm (in my case) hole in your box in line above or below the existing lock, cut a slot similar to the one the existing lock uses and away you go

The one linked allows the key to be removed in either 'locked' or 'unloacked postion, unlike some others advertised so can be used clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Many of the others only allow the key too be removed in the locked position and only lock anti-clockwise.

I bought a couple and this one is best/most flexible so far. very cheap too.

Check the size you want, mine was the 16mm one.

The Tory Legacy

That's great TJ2. Glad you were able to get it locked up in time. Lets hope they don't go breaking in. It maybe an idea to put a sign on it and also record it being locked up...in case of any recourse at a later date.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/utility-week-smart-meter-rollout-could-destroy-trust-and-confidence-warns-enw-boss/

I thank this ENW Chief Executive from the North West who seems to have an understanding of consumer concerns. And yes it has destroyed my trust and confidence.

"SSM! UK editor’s note: Since we introduced our Notice serving facility in 2012, Mr Johnson has received more than 2,500 emails from individuals and businesses across the UK highlighting the concerns people have about ‘smart’ meters and their huge risks. He has obviously taken those messages on board.]

Speaking last night at the Utility Week Lobby event at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester,

Steve Johnson warned: “It’s got a real capacity to cause difficulty and is something I’m concerned about. It has a huge capacity to go wrong.”

He added: “The complexity of what’s going to be done is huge and this has a huge capacity to destroy trust and confidence.”

His view was supported by the Ombudsman Services’ chief ombudsman Lewis Shand Smith, who told delegates it is going to be a “very rough ride between now and the end of the rollout”.

• 1 month later...

The Tory Legacy

• 5 weeks later...

.. and a 'dumb' meter has been fitted as agreed.

The Tory Legacy