• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comedyjock v BOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I may have messed up here. I sent a DPA request to the Halifax contact details and they have replied saying there is no record of my account which has been shut for about 3 years.

Do I send another DPA to the Bank of Scotland or call them as I have subsequently found my details.

And/or report them to the IC as they HAVE to keep that information for (I think) at least 7 years.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to the customer services with a DPA request on 11 April 2006 about an account that was closed in 2004. I received a letter dated 27 April saying they could not find any details on the account.

I called them on 5 May and the person managed to get the details of the account and told me I would have them within 2 weeks.

I have since received no further communication from them and I called them again today. The person I spoke to could find no record of the account and asked me to call back on Monday when the business centre was open.

Where do I go from here as they have obviously broken the 40 days allowed for the supply of information and the clock will continue to tick.:-x

• 2 weeks later...
was wondering whether I should also complain.

If in doubt..!

:)

If the 40 days have passed (which would appear to be the case for you) since you sent in your DPA request (I'm assuming you sent them the £10 fee by the way?!), then by ALL means slap them with a complaint to the ICO.

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

• 4 months later...

I have received nothing from the BOS despite sending a letter to both the customer services and my old branch and the 40 days has expired.

I closed my account 3 years ago but I am claiming for the 4 years previous to that.

I am about to send Template 3 to the old branch. Is there anything else I should do?

I am also living in Somerset now. Should I claim through English or Scottish courts and is it easy to claim through Scottish courts from down South?

Cheers for your help

Just use the template and go through english system, it will make it easier especially if your claim is over £1500

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

me too, going to use the English courts.........get it all back in one go!

Darren :p

BOS - WON - £5.6k

------------------------------------------------

Virgin Mastercard - WON - £300

Barclaycard - WON - £200

Lloyds - WON - £1.6k

I have received no reply for details of my closed account despite 2 attempts and waithing 2 months.

Is it correct that I now complain direct to the Information Commissioner and is there any other course of action?

Cheers

Guest willowb

Yeah, but don't expect a speedy response! here's there website...

ICO – Information Commissioner's Office

There's a pdf complaint form you can print off and send in.

I did it lately with Abbey, I waited 2-3 weeks for the ICO to reply to me and then when they did....what'ya know Abbey send me the statements within 2 days!!!

Wxx

• 1 month later...

A bit of advice please.

I am calculating how much the bank has taken from me.

In the early days, when the bank applied an excess O/D charge they also applied an account maintenance charge on the account. Am I able to claim this back in addition to the other charges?

Also although early days, will I be able to pursue the claim through the english system as I now live in England.

Cheers

i have also enquired about this ,i am claiming £6663 back in charges ,once i get that back ,i am claiming £880 account maintenance back,account maintenance is a ludicrous charge ,what is it ,a charge to monitor your account when overdrawn ,scandelous

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is an update on my actions.

I first applied to the bank for my account details in April last year(2006). They dragged their feet but eventually after a complaint to the Information Commisionar I got the details on an account that was closed in 2003.

I totalled up the charges 6 years from my first letter and these came up to £1840. I wrote to the bank asking for them back on 11 December but have heard nothing. I will be sending a LBA tomorrow giving them a further 14 days but in the meantime I have used a spreadsheet (England Simple) and have calculated there is £847 in interest.

Being that the charges go back 6 years does this seem correct?

Thank you for your help and I'll keep you updated.

• 2 weeks later...

The plot is now thickening. I sent off the 2nd LBA on the 4th of January. I received a reply today saying they got my letter in their office on the 8th. I sent it to the wrong place initially so should I wait 14 days from the 8th or 4th before starting court action?

Also should I use MCOL or the local court? I will be claiming in England for £1800 plus interest.

Cheers

SIX threads merged. Could you please keep all questions about this account in this thread please

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks