style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently applied for income protection and life insurance.

The company declined the income protection on medical reasons, being that 2 years ago I was off sick from work with depression for 4 months and the type of job I do does not allow me to take anti-depressants.

They have offered me life insurance but have bumped up the premiums which of course I understand but I'm now worried if this is going to affect any other insurance policy I make such as car insurance, house insurance etc as you are often asked if you have been declined any insurance policy on application.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Hello there.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I expect the insurance guys will be along later, but I would have said that having this policy declined for health reasons wouldn't affect you insuring property.

Have you had all the information you wanted about why you were declined please? In my dealings some years back, the Chief Medical Officer of the insurer would communicate with your GP but not directly with you, if asked.

Also, just because one company has taken this view, others might not see your case the same way, or at least not as harshly. It might be worth having a chat with an independent broker if you don't have one already.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for your answers Haven and Honeybee13.

I spoke to the insurance company today and they will only contact my GP, I then have to make an appointment with my GP to discuss it. Was really shocked to be declined, it never occured to me that I would be.

I'm just worried that it could influence other insurances, not just motor and home but also personal items for example I use an IPad for work which is already insured but other small things such as mobile phone insurance.

Most insurers ask if you've had a claim declined and technically now it is yes, even though I might be only wanting insurances that wouldn't even need to ask any sort of health questionnaire.

About 2 weeks ago, I applied for Life Insurance with another insurance company, I've been very truthful with my medical history and I got a reasonable quote. Before accepting this quote would I have to call them to say that now I've been declined income protection insurance? I don't want to lie, I'm happy to be charged a higher premium but I don't want to get into trouble and give them an excuse not to pay out if the worst happens.