Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Hacked_Off Novitiate Hacked_Off Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2009

Default Housing benefit overpayment

Had a letter from the council informing me I've been overpaidicon by 320. They've kindly given me 4 days to pay in full! So much for the one month to appeal!

I went self employed in June and claimed Nea. The no jobs centre made an "administration error" and the Nea payments were showing in my bank as jsa. I questioned this and said surely this will interfere with housing benefit payments, the council would see jsa on my statements and pay my full rent. And also make it look like benefit fraud ie claiming jsa and working. My mp got involved and the job centre assured them and me that this would not happen and they would inform the council. I informed the council myself and gave them the Nea letter. They also "put a note on the file". I have the receipt and emails.

I gave the council everything they asked for. My payments continued. I did not receive an award letter. I got a letter in September telling me " your claim is incomplete" and they again asked for everything I had already given them. I replied asking why they are asking for everything again?! There response was to send the same letter. I then gave them everything from June to present. It took three months to tell me the claim was incomplete?

I have just started university leaving me entitled to 0. I got my start date two weeks before starting. I informed the council of my start date and to cease payments. I also asked for what I have left to pay on my council tax and i will pay it. This was ignored. I again informed them through councilor to cease payments. They said "there's nothing we can do until we see your exemption certificate". These hadn't been released by the university yet. Even my councillor said they should have suspended the final payment until they had the info. But surprise surprise they didn't and I was paid. They have suspended before until they've been given the information...

Surely I'm not at fault here? Four months after going self employed and in only seeing an award letter today?

Basic Account Holder citizenkain Novitiate citizenkain's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

Default Re: Housing benefit overpayment

so whats the problem?,theyve overpaidicon you?,just pay it back..

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by citizenkain View Post
    so whats the problem?,theyve overpaidicon you?,just pay it back..
    That may be incorrect advice because if they have made an official error, they cannot claim it back and there is legislation to back it up. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made section 100. We had similar happen to us and were able to show that we had supplied all the necessary and correct information. The demand was withdrawn.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    May 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
    That may be incorrect advice because if they have made an official error, they cannot claim it back and there is legislation to back it up. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made section 100. We had similar happen to us and were able to show that we had supplied all the necessary and correct information. The demand was withdrawn.
    Exactly, that's what I thought. Thanks for the link. My councillor is on it again for me!!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    May 2009

Forgot to update this. My councillor Tim Beaumont was VERY helpful with this. Once I had provided all the evidence proving i did everything I was supposed to the council backed down claiming "system error for a small number of claimants" and wrote it off.

Huzzah!!

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Linlithgow

Well, that's a result. It's quite difficult to get a council (as opposed to the DWP) to accept an "official error" argument, so well done and thanks for updating.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?
    ---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room

I can't give advice by PM - please post on the forums. I do advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer or Welfare Rights Adviser. If you wish to check my advice against other independent sources, please do.

CAG exists because of your support, so if you feel able to help out by donating it would be welcome, but rest assured that our advice and support is free.

"The idea that the poor should have leisure has always been shocking to the rich"
    --Bertrand Russell

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    May 2009

I'm a actually volunteering within the tribunals helping with appeals and ESA claims. It was amazing how his attitude changed once informed of this and the fact that I'm a 2nd year law student!!!

I've also asked my councillor to ensure others who fell victim to this "system error"are not made to repay benefits.

I also only dealt with the chief executive, he kept trying to pass me on but I refused!

Site Team silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2008
    I am in
    carrot cruncher country

Well done hacked-off. It can be done.

I remember years ago that my local council chased me for an overpaymenticon as I hadn't supplied all the information they wanted for my 'daughters' college study. (the daughters in quotes will become clear) I supplied everything they wanted for my daughter yet they still said they had overpaidicon me. After going through the 3 stages of complaint, I went to the LGO and it is then that they realised the council had missed an apostrophe.

The letters should have said "daughter's" for me to send information. Result-overpayment cancelled, formal apology-200 compensation.

Just goes to show how one simple mistake can cause untold stress

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.
    Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Do you need debt advice? Check this out
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ts#post3625082

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    May 2009

There's still a minor issue with mine. I have in my council tax exemption certificate in September and signed off the end of June. So there's a period of two months were I'm libel for council tax, which I paid. But the council reckon i owe 400 on this years. Mmm something not right there. That's being dealt with separately by me and my councillor.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative Surfer01 Highly informative

Cagger since
    May 2006

Congratulations Hacked off as perseverance pays off eventually.

Basic Account Holder kathy_smith Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2013

Hello everyone. I have posted a thread called "overpaymenticon of housing benefit (official error)"
    If you get a chance please have a look. I really am stuck and in need of some advice.
    Thanks

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE