• Tweets

• Just to clear it up, sorry I don't make sense sometimes. I have paid £4000 £1200 of that was suppose to clear the £1200 debt.   Meaning I have sent a extra £2800 on top of my normal mainternance money.   Thank you
    • Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA court Activ Kapital

shamrocker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sham can you post up a copy of the Court order please.

Thank you

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Sorry The Mould - I missed your message above.

I haven't received anything from the court. I don't understand how they, located a few hundred miles away from the court, would get a letter before me when I'm ten miles up the road.

Sham

OK Sham

Perhaps you might receive a copy of the order on the morrow or Saturday.

Really need to see the directions therein because you are only obligated to comply with these directions.

Might be prudent that until you receive your copy of the order, send the claimants’ sols a list of the documents that you intend to rely on for the September hearing of the application and request he confirms his agreement on the same and if he does not agree request that he states his reason(s) and post a copy of the authority file (including the Wilson case) to him.

Your list of documents for the SJ hearing bundle should be in chronological order and include the following:

1. Claimants’ particulars of claim ( always state the date of each document in your list)
  2. Your Defence
  3. Claimants’ reply to your Defence (if any)
  4. Claimants’ application notice for SJ
  5. Claimants’ 1st WS in support of SJ
  6. Your 1st WS in opposition of SJ
  7. Claimants’ 2nd WS evidence in reply
  8. Both of the credit agreements
  9. Copy of the default notice
  10. Copy of inter-party correspondence that is not marked “without prejudice”, (but only include these communications if they are relevant and further support your case against the SJ).

Whether the claimant agrees or not with your proposed document list for the bundle, paginate your documents into a lever arch file (you will need 3 copies of the documents set out in the above list and so 3 files – one for you, one for the Court and one for Claimant) place a label on the front of each file and on the inside cover to state “claim no. xxxxxx for the hearing on 1 September 2014”. Make sure that you file and serve these pursuant to the order made by the Court (the one that you are awaiting service of).

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Yes, in the documents list simply state “Authorities file consisting of………….” Then set out the citation of each authority that you will rely on and refer to at the SJ hearing.

Catch up again on the morrow.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Yes at the hearing but you must file and serve a copy of the authority file and your bundle in advance of that hearing.

When you receive the Court order, post it up here and I will respond.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Thanks The Mould. I'm still a tad unclear about everything, but less unclear than I was earlier.

Do you have any idea why their solicitors would be getting a bit hot under the collar about disclosure of the documents? Could they simply be stating what's on the court directions letter? I suppose we shall soon find out.

I'll give my head a rest from this until tomorrow.

Another slight issue I have is that I'm away tomorrow night and not back until 5th August - the deadline stated in the letter from the Claimant's solicitor.

Kind regards,

Sham

In that case you had better e-mail the sols with your proposed document list for the bundle on the morrow and also serve a copy of the authority file to them by Special Delivery and ask the post office to make it Special Delivery for Monday 28 July 2014.

Try and arrange for a trusted friend, neighbour or family member to collect your post and contact you if the Court order arrives while you are away to ensure that you do not fail to comply with the order.

Happy summer break, enjoy yourselves and hope the weather remains warm and sunny, catch up when you return.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Thanks TM.

All this will be a bit of a push, and unfortunately I haven't got someone who I can call upon in such circumstances.

Would I need to serve full printed copies of the authorities to the claimant and court by 5th August? Also, do I need to provide copies of the documents on the document list...or only mention them on a list?

If the letter turns up tomorrow then I have a good chance of sorting everything at a push, which would be a nice feeling before heading off (I'm not going too far....but Internet access will be limited to 3G on my phone for the most part).

Do you know if there are any grounds for an extension to submission deadlines if I can show that the this engagement was booked prior and that I will have limited means of communication? I was hoping for more than one day to firstly digest everything and then to get it sorted.

Thanks for your sentiments on the break. It couldn't have come at a worse time, but I wasn't to know when I booked it. Fingers crossed all will turn out fine.

Kind regards,

Sham

Without sight of the Court order I do not know, however, with the sols making reference to the Order and requiring you to send the documents by 5 August, it might be the case that that is the Courts’ directions.

Just send the list of documents to the sols and not the documents.

You should send the authority file to the sols though before you go away. By the way I thought the morrow was Friday, hence my Special Delivery date of Mon 28 July, sorry about that.

You must comply with Court directions and the only reason the Court will accept for non-compliance will be on medical grounds.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Without sight of the Court order I do not know, however, with the sols making reference to the Order and requiring you to send the documents by 5 August, it might be the case that that is the Courts’ directions.

Just send the list of documents to the sols and not the documents.

You should send the authority file to the sols though before you go away. By the way I thought the morrow was Friday, hence my Special Delivery date of Mon 28 July, sorry about that.

You must comply with Court directions and the only reason the Court will accept for non-compliance will be on medical grounds.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

Thanks TM. It's a good job I didn't go today, so could have been worse. I have tomorrow to work on all this, so I should be able to manage.

I'd be most grateful if you could pop your head in tomorrow during the day in case I have a few queries. I just hope the letter arrives tomorrow!

Thanks for everything....

Sham

Don't make your own bundle repeating everything the Claimant will put in.

The reason the Claimant's solicitor wants your documents for the bundle is because it is their responsibility to prepare it.

"3.4 The preparation and production of the trial bundle... is the responsibility of the legal representative who has conduct of the claim on behalf of the claimant."

Don't make your own bundle repeating everything the Claimant will put in.

The reason the Claimant's solicitor wants your documents for the bundle is because it is their responsibility to prepare it.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate a little?

This is all completely new to me so I don't have any real appreciation of the important factors at this moment in time.

Thanks Ganymede!

Sham said that at the SJ hearing the judge ordered that they both prepare bundles.

Hope the order arrives in the post today.

Kind regards

The Mould

Ah ok so yes we need to see the Order to check.

Ah ok so yes we need to see the Order to check.

Morning guys... yeah, the judge stated that it would be a 'mini trial' lasting 1hr 30mins and both sides would prepare bundles.

Fingers crossed TM. I'm hoping it arrives too!

Morning guys... yeah, the judge stated that it would be a 'mini trial' lasting 1hr 30mins and both sides would prepare bundles.

Fingers crossed TM. I'm hoping it arrives too!

You could call the Court and ask if the Order has been sent out and get them to read it out to you over the phone if you haven't got it.

If you are pushed for time Sham you could phone the court and ask for it verbatim over the phone......assuming there is a General Order.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thankfully the letter from the court arrived this morning. Here is a copy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52359[/ATTACH]

Let me try to make a fist of this myself...then perhaps some of you can chip in.

The court orders that the claimant file the bundle within 28 days of 16/07/14. This bundle is to include documents relied upon by me, the defendant. Does this term 'documents' include, in my case, the authorities?

The Claimant's solicitor has stated a deadline of 5th August to have my list of documents? Is this a standard request and it the timeframe reasonable?

Their solicitor, in their email yesterday, stated that I could send the documents by email. Could I, therefore, just pdf the authorities and send them across?

Sorry for such basic questions, but that's the level I'm at right now.

Many thanks

Sham

Yes sham, pdf the authorities and the default notice by email today to the sols, they should be in possession of all other documents.

Let them know that you will be away until 5 August and request that they serve a copy of the bundle on you on 6 or 7 August.

Going to have a look at Court order now.

Kind regards

The Mould