Dwp overpayment .. Their mistake??

Kel1702
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong place.

I received a letter today from DWP after I refused entry to a dwp when they would not tell me why they were at my door!

It states that I was overpaid ESA from 27/11 to 18/12 as I failed to notify them of my change in circumstances. They have also added on a penalty fine.

I did notify them .. On 22/11 by telephone and I have a record of making this phone call on my phone bill.

It must be there error and certainly not mine as I did notify them (a woman at the job centre standing in for my advisor who was off sick)

Just wondered what your experiences were and where I stand??

Thanks all x

Edited by citizenB

You are in the correct forum - I am sure someone will look in over the weekend for you :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'm really upset about it. The woman on the phone even gave me advice about claiming rtw and sent me the forms through the post .. But it seems did not update my claim details.

Do they not record calls as I can prove I rang them?

Oops sorry, I thought that was where it was.. my apologies :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'm really upset about it. The woman on the phone even gave me advice about claiming rtw and sent me the forms through the post .. But it seems did not update my claim details.

Do they not record calls as I can prove I rang them?

Some calls are recorded - Usually the ones made to a central call centre. Most calls to a local Job Centre would go unrecorded. With that in mind, it is difficult to prove that you notified the DWP of a change in circumstances unless you have written evidence. The first step in getting this overpayment decision reversed is to write to the benefit delivery centre that sent you the letter and ask for a reconsideration.

While the reconsideration is being processed, send a Subject Access Request to your local DWP/JCP office demanding copies of all computer records, clerical records, and hand written notes held by the office normally handling your claim as well as all records held centrally. You can use the attached form or type your own letter. See https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/personal-information-charter for more info - In particular, note that the DWP do not charge a fee, so make free use of it.

Once you have copies of your records, you should be able to spot if this temp adviser had noted a change of circumstances. If, after reconsideration, the DWP still demand repayment and the records show that a change had been noted, you have good grounds to demand an appeal - If the reconsideration is returned before you get a response from a SAR, advise the overpayments team that you intend to appeal once you have been provided with documents.

Bottom line: If you can get them to acknowledge an official error in making an overpayment, they can not demand the money is repaid or levy any "fines".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Unless the conversation was recorded, a phone bill proves nothing - In future, always record conversations or communicate in writing and keep copies of everything including forms the DWP ask you to fill in.

In your current situation, demand a reconsideration as part of a delaying tactic and get that SAR in as soon as possible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I'm sure they record every phone call. Not sure how long they keep them for though.

Fingers crossed then!

I find it outrageous tbh .. If I can prove I rang them surely that shows their failure and not mine. Talk about a backwards system .. The mind boggles

Fingers crossed then!

I find it outrageous tbh .. If I can prove I rang them surely that shows their failure and not mine. Talk about a backwards system .. The mind boggles

Like everything to do with the DWP - it is for the claimant to prove everything even down to not receiving letters that they say they posted!

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong place.

I received a letter today from DWP after I refused entry to a dwp when they would not tell me why they were at my door!

It states that I was overpaid ESA from 27/11 to 18/12 as I failed to notify them of my change in circumstances. They have also added on a penalty fine.

I did notify them .. On 22/11 by telephone and I have a record of making this phone call on my phone bill.

It must be there error and certainly not mine as I did notify them (a woman at the job centre standing in for my advisor who was off sick)

Just wondered what your experiences were and where I stand??

Thanks all x

Can I ask how much the over payment amount is !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

As I feared. :(

It can serve as supporting evidence, but no, it doesn't prove anything in and of itself. Still worth mentioning, though, if you're asking for a reconsideration.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It can serve as supporting evidence, but no, it doesn't prove anything in and of itself. Still worth mentioning, though, if you're asking for a reconsideration.

Thanks for replying. I have mentioned it and included a copy

In the letter for reconsideration. Time will tell but It seems the outcome is inevitable