style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had no scope for growing my own food beyond what will flourish on a window sill for a long time. I got onto the council waiting list for a Plot with the foreboding warning it might take as long as 15 years to get to the top! As it turned out it was less than 2 in the end.

Annual charges are under 30 quid - I can spend that much in one visit to the Co-op without much trouble! I have forked out (pardon the pun) for some tools and a second (could be 3rd/4th/5th!) hand shed and splashed out on seeds and magazines (if they have free seeds!) I've also been very lucky with family and other plot holders giving me seedlings and tools to get me started.

I have been digging away for a few hours at the weekend since taking it on in January - and I have an enviable supply of organic fruit and veg at my disposal. Not to mention feeling smug at making food appear out of the ground instead of out of a plastic packet, I am also smug when cooking because it tastes better too. :-)

Another bonus - it's excellent exercise and a great way to make new friends who want to pass on all their tips - If you are still paying for a gym membership you don't make good use of = STOP, get a PLOT!

Apply via your local authority website, get on the waiting list and be sure to remind them you are very keen every so often, or see if you can share with someone and get there sooner. Do it today!:-D

Worth checking out Landshare.net if the waiting list is too long to bear

I have grown veg in various containers on the patio, dont think my LL would let me dig up the lawn :)

My friend also used to grow lots of fruit and veg in containers on a tiny balcony. We don't have any outside space at home at all. (Not even allowed to install a window box in case it falls off!!)

You could go for some vertical planting up the fence maybe? :)

Because of the way our proprties are built everyone has a concrete garden as nothing will grow - very heavy clay. Cracked it this year by buying some Gro-Beds from Marshalls which take about 150L of compost, great for growing salad stuff but not really deep enough for brassicas. Did buy some "frozen" strawberry plants which are now fruiting very heavily & runner beans planted in pots are picked every other day.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'll say! I love your purple raised beds :-)

Thank you!! Not only purple raised beds but 30 metres of bright, patterned outdoor bunting along the fences - all made by moi naturally . If you're going to do something, do it with panache!!

Imp