Just who are UMS? - provi loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an account with Provident that, for one reason or another (mainly unemployment) ended up with their own in house 'solicitors' and has been farmed out to BCW.

Today I've received a letter from BCW offering me a discount that amounts to 50% me the outstanding balance on the account. They have also offered me the chance to pay over 3 installments.

This offer is only valid if I contact BCW by tomorr (states 7 days from date on letter but arrived 6 days after the date on the letter).

I've never been in contact with BCW regarding this account and wonder if its really only a ruse to get me to contact them about the debt.

What is their MO regarding accounts and discount offers?

Feebee_71

If you have the money to clear the balance and want to do so I would haggle with them. With any luck and a bit of perserverence you might get them down to 30%. Their deadline is just a ploy to try and get you to settle for the 50% quickly. But make sure that any settlement is for a 'full' not partial settlement and your credit file is marked as such. Otherwise you may find you are being chased for the other 50% by another agency.

If you are not interested let them whistle in the wind and carry on paying them £1 a month or whatever you may have agreed to. Another year down the line their settlement offer will probably be a lot less!

Hi

Be aware that if you 'short settle' the remaining amount is still collectable. Just because BCW are offering this 'discount' this means very little unless you get a statement saying they will stop any further collection activity AND they do not sell the remaining balance on to any other **** bucket

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You must receive their acceptance of any short settlement and confirmation that no other 3rd party will pursue for any other monies.. IN WRITING, before you part with any money.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You must receive their acceptance of any short settlement and confirmation that no other 3rd party will pursue for any other monies.. IN WRITING, before you part with any money.

Excellent advice!

Thanks guys,

I'll sit on their offer for a bit longer as it would be a struggle to pay the amount offered as the discounted settlement deal even if it was split into 3 payments!!

Feebee_71

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have recently had a letter from BC&W in which they are threatening to send a doorstep collector (or words to that effect) to my home

about an account that as been passed to them by the original creditor (Provident).

So far letters received have included offers of substantial discounts and even opportunities to pay said reduced sums over a number of months rather than in one payment.

I have never engaged with BC&W about this account,

I was paying Provident's in house solicitors a reduced amount but stopped when there just wasn't enough money to pay as well

as meet necessary debts such as rent, council tax, utility bills and then things such as business insurance and fuel for my vehicle

which is important as my job requires me to be mobile but is poorly paid.

the collection agents mentioned in the letter received are UMS but, apart from them being owned by BC&W

(and so therefore only another cog in their internal wheel of threats), it appears they are used to chase utility debts - which this isn't!!

They will be lucky to ever find me at home as I usually work 12 out of every 14 days and leave the house at silly o'clock returning in the evening then,

on my weekend off, I'm usually catching up with friends, family and life in general.

Oh, and I live in a property with secure entry system so they can't actually access my front door that easily!!

What is likely to be their next step?

Feebee_71

Utility Management Services.....'cough' 'cough'

http://www.csa-uk.com/uk-members-list/details/141/utility-management-services-%28bcw-group%29-ltd

All part of the same, next broom cupboard along I would imagine, or cubicle in the gents, sorry little boys room!

Did Provi send you a notice of assignment?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I can't remember but know they still send me the letters stating the account is in default. Pretty sure the last communication was from their in house 'solicitors' CK Edrupt!!

Feebee_71

what was the original debt all about?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A Provident loan,

had to go to reduced payments when unemployed

now am working but little money left for non-priority debts as well as paying priority bills

and having enough fuel in the car to be able to go out and do my job

- let alone buy food every week

(thank goodness for staying at my parents for 3 nights a week so not having to buy food those nights!)

so it def was a doorstep loan

not a loan to pay off a debt hey claim you owed?

pers ignore them

they have no legal powers

and are not bailiffs

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

god what made you resort to these 2000% interest rate people

dx

and they

its a discount letter anyhow

dx

and they