Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Feebee_71 Informative Feebee_71 Informative Feebee_71 Informative

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

Default Buchanan Clarke and Wells offering discount

I have an account with Provident that, for one reason or another (mainly unemployment) ended up with their own in house 'solicitors' and has been farmed out to BCW.

Today I've received a letter from BCW offering me a discount that amounts to 50% me the outstanding balance on the account. They have also offered me the chance to pay over 3 installments.

This offer is only valid if I contact BCW by tomorr (states 7 days from date on letter but arrived 6 days after the date on the letter).

I've never been in contact with BCW regarding this account and wonder if its really only a ruse to get me to contact them about the debt.

What is their MO regarding accounts and discount offers?

Feebee_71

Basic Account Holder aburobert Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Default Re: Buchanan Clarke and Wells offering discount

If you have the money to clear the balance and want to do so I would haggle with them. With any luck and a bit of perserverence you might get them down to 30%. Their deadline is just a ploy to try and get you to settle for the 50% quickly. But make sure that any settlement is for a 'full' not partial settlement and your credit file is marked as such. Otherwise you may find you are being chased for the other 50% by another agency.

If you are not interested let them whistle in the wind and carry on paying them 1 a month or whatever you may have agreed to. Another year down the line their settlement offer will probably be a lot less!

Site Team silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961 Authoritative silverfox1961's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2008
    I am in
    carrot cruncher country

Hi
    Be aware that if you 'short settle' the remaining amount is still collectable. Just because BCW are offering this 'discount' this means very little unless you get a statement saying they will stop any further collection activity AND they do not sell the remaining balance on to any other **** bucket

Site Team citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

You must receive their acceptance of any short settlement and confirmation that no other 3rd party will pursue for any other monies.. IN WRITING, before you part with any money.

Basic Account Holder aburobert Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by citizenB View Post
    You must receive their acceptance of any short settlement and confirmation that no other 3rd party will pursue for any other monies.. IN WRITING, before you part with any money.
    Excellent advice!

Basic Account Holder Feebee_71 Informative Feebee_71 Informative Feebee_71 Informative

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

Thanks guys,

I'll sit on their offer for a bit longer as it would be a struggle to pay the amount offered as the discounted settlement deal even if it was split into 3 payments!!

Feebee_71

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

Default Just who are UMS? - provi loan

Hi,

Have recently had a letter from BC&W in which they are threatening to send a doorstep collectoricon (or words to that effect) to my home
    about an account that as been passed to them by the original creditor (Provident).

So far letters received have included offers of substantial discounts and even opportunities to pay said reduced sums over a number of months rather than in one payment.

I have never engaged with BC&W about this account,
    I was paying Provident's in house solicitors a reduced amount but stopped when there just wasn't enough money to pay as well
    as meet necessary debts such as rent, council tax, utility bills and then things such as business insurance and fuel for my vehicle
    which is important as my job requires me to be mobile but is poorly paid.

the collection agents mentioned in the letter received are UMS but, apart from them being owned by BC&W
    (and so therefore only another cog in their internal wheel of threats), it appears they are used to chase utility debts - which this isn't!!

They will be lucky to ever find me at home as I usually work 12 out of every 14 days and leave the house at silly o'clock returning in the evening then,
    on my weekend off, I'm usually catching up with friends, family and life in general.

Oh, and I live in a property with secure entry system so they can't actually access my front door that easily!!

What is likely to be their next step?

Feebee_71

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo Authoritative Bazooka Boo's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008
    I am in
    Southsea
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just who are UMS?

Utility Management Services.....'cough' 'cough'
    http://www.csa-uk.com/uk-members-lis...w-group%29-ltd

All part of the same, next broom cupboard along I would imagine, or cubicle in the gents, sorry little boys room!

Did Provi send you a notice of assignment?

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

I can't remember but know they still send me the letters stating the account is in default. Pretty sure the last communication was from their in house 'solicitors' CK Edrupt!!

Feebee_71

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

Love the bit on that link - business to business debt collectionicon and utility debt collection. Erm, where does personal credit come under either of those?

Feebee _71

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

what was the original debt all about?

dx

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

A Provident loan,
    had to go to reduced payments when unemployed

now am working but little money left for non-priority debts as well as paying priority bills
    and having enough fuel in the car to be able to go out and do my job
    - let alone buy food every week

(thank goodness for staying at my parents for 3 nights a week so not having to buy food those nights!)

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in

Default Re: Just who are UMS? - provi loan

so it def was a doorstep loan
    not a loan to pay off a debt hey claim you owed?

pers ignore them

they have no legal powers
    and are not bailiffs

dx

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

Definitely a doorstep loan - still have original paperwork somewhere!!

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in

god what made you resort to these 2000% interesticon rate people

dx

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

At the time - desperation and an inability to get credit elsewhere. Though, saying that, while the interesticon rate was high it wasn't anywhere near as high as that!!

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in

its a discount letter anyhow

dx

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE