Reclaim Barclays Bank Charges

Mrgreengenes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just sent a letter requesting details of my charges to Peter Townsend, Manager, Barclays Data Protection, Radbroke Hall, Knutsford, Cheshire,WA16 9EU.

He replied promptly saying that copy statements are underway and my cheque for £10 has been returned. However, he has asked me to explain what I mean by manual intervention. Elsewhere in the forum it has been pointed out that this is an indication that there is no manual intervention on the account.

He has also advised me that "under the DPA you are entitled to a copy of the material held across the Bank that qualifies for disclosure as your "personal data" - this is known as a data subject access request." This will cost £10

Should I ask for this information as well?

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya! :grin:

Barclays - settled in full £4799.38 ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in discussion with Barclays regarding my bank charges. Here's my details :-

Amount of charges taken - £3830

Amount of interest to date - £603

Court fee - £120

Total amount - £4553

I have now been through the complete claim procedure. Barclays have just made me an offer of a "sum of £982 in full and final settlement of my claim".

I will accept this sum but only as an interim payment towards the total amount I will be claiming through the courts in the next few days.

I will let you know of my progress.

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!

Keep us posted on this one - would love to know the outcome as the figures you state are very similar to my own!!

Thanks

Mode

Barclays:- Request for Data Sent 07/06/06

• 3 weeks later...

I am at the stage of issuing a claim through the courts but am struggling to accrue £120 for the fees. I had arranged a standing order to transfer enough money to pay the fees to another bank account but Barclays kindly returned it and charged me £35 for the privilege. In fact, in 3 days this week, they have charged me £125 in total. This is why I am struggling. I earn £300 per week.

Should I include all charges to date when I fill out the claim or do I just include the charges up to the LBA letter?

Also, when I win my claim, and if Barclays allow me to keep my account, if they continue to charge me in the future, will I be able to make another claim say in a year's time from now or sooner?

I note that there seems to be more Moderators on hand now doing excellent work. I have started a few threads but have never had the privilege of a reply from a Moderator.

Keep up the great work and I will donate at least 5% of whatever I win back to this site.

MODERATED threads merged

All charges,actually taken, up to when you submit your claim

There are still not many of us and we have lives , children etc so try our best to log on as much as we can .If you need an answer to something then after a day or 2 'bump' your thread if still no answer from us then PM one of us .Just try and give us time to get to it .If you can try and search the site for your own answer first.

Sorry you have not had any imput from us so far

• Confused 1

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Claim issued 3rd July 06,

Deemed to be served on 5th July 06

My Connect card and cheque book have been cancelled today together with all standing orders and direct debits. What a coincidence!!! Mind you I have exceeded my overdraft limit. Luckily I have an umbrella account, unfortunately it is with Shabbey National.

I am now going to work out how to PM a moderator so that my details can appear in the litigation section.

The fatherless chillen won't get me!

• 1 month later...

Barclays have lodged their defence a day before the final date.

I have just had a thought, My Allocation Questionaire has to be in by a certain date. I assume that Barclays AQ also has to be in by the same date. Therefore, if I delay submitting my AQ until the last possible date, will Barclays wait until they see mine before they submit theirs? Does Barclays have to pay to submit their AQ?

I know that if Barclays fail to submit their AQ, their defence will crumble.

Any advice would be appreciated.

They will submit their AQ on the last day. There is nothing on these form that will be of any benefit to either party so just file yours ASAP and sit back and wait for your court date.

Halifax - Won £425.00

American Express - Won £90.00

Woolwich Bank - Won £2280.00

Barclaycard - Won £558.00

Woolwich Bank - New claim for £723.00 entered.

Barclaycard - New claim for £236.00 entered

AQ lodged on 18th August. I could really use the £100 this week but had no choice but to pay the fee. I had a chat with the clerk and she told me that if I didn't pay the fee, the judge would strike out the claim and I would get nothing back.:(

Another interesting fact is that a stay has to requested by either party. It seems that Banks are requesting these stays as a tactic to delay matters further. All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot as they are bringing their underhand tactics to the attention of the judges.:-|

I have tried to contact Mr Jeremiah but he has chosen to ignore me. I am happy with this as time waits for no man and there will come a day when Barclays will have to either pay up or appear in court. Which option do you think they will take?:rolleyes:

All I have to do now is wait for the hearing date.:cool:

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!:D

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

My local court has just issued a Stay for Settlement expiring early in Oct. The next step will be for the court to arrange a date for the hearing.

I have written to the court asking for the stay to be lifted as it only favours the bank's tactics in delaying payment as long as possible. No reply yet.

I also wrote to Keith Jeremiah again asking him to make me a reasonable offer. No reply yet. It looks as though I will have to meet the bank on the steps of the court on the day of the hearing before I get my money back. I have contacted Mr Jeremiah by email, phone and letter. He has never ever resonded. I am considering putting in an official complaint against him for not replying. If the complaint is not resolved then I will be able to contact the banking Ombudsman to sort him out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

How's your stay doin' ??

I read it runs out today, would be very interested to know how your claim is progressing.

Caz.

Mamma Caz :p

"Round 'em up, put 'em in a field and Bomb the B******ds"

Particularised Claim 05/10/06

AQ filed 14/09/06

Defenced filed 05/09/06

MCOL served by 05/08/06

Thanks but only if you pay it all let 17/07/06

Offer let received 12/07/06

Letter before Action 04/07/2006

Barclays - Letter of Intent 16/06/2006

Classic Confidence Settled 13/10/06

Classic Confidence LBA 18/09/06

Classic Confidence 1st claim let sent 30/08/06

Classic Confidence - Data Protection Act let 03/08/06

• 3 weeks later...

I've found a freephone number for Barclays Customer Services.:D

0800 435872

This was discovered by visiting my hero's web site here:razz:

While you are there check out the cheaper phone call options. Personally, I use the 18866 service which makes calls to any geographical number free apart from a tiny connection charge.:)

If you want to find a cheaper number for any 0870, 0845 etc. number then go to

SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers

and use the search facility to find the geographical and free numbers.:D

If you are not aware, 0870 numbers are expensive to call and while you are waiting for an operator, the company you are calling are making loadsamoney. Therefore, they won't really care how long you have to wait!!!:o

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!:D

Hi Caz, sorry for the delay in replying, I tend to wait for a development before replying. Anyway, I'm still waiting for my court date. My file has been referred to the district judge.

I have been advised that it may be anything up to two more weeks before they contact me again.

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!:grin:

Here's a development. Whoohoo!!

A member of KJ's staff called me today stating that they are ready to make an offer. It has only taken them almost 4 months to do this. Maybe my file has just made it to the top of the mountain of claims, or maybe the court date is looming ever closer.

Anyway, there is a discrepancy over the amount I have claimed Barclays have taken in charges and the amount Barclays have claimed to have actually taken. The discrepancy amounts to approximately £600 less than my claim!!! I have just waded through my six years worth of statements and my claim amount of what the fatherless chillen have taken is deadly accurate.:lol: I have proof!

I then asked the caller where he/she got the information from. The bank provided only a total of the claims from somewhere. (Perhaps they went to cloud cuckooland for it):lol:

I then suggested, why don't you get a printout of my statements from the Bank's records like I did. The caller then told me that was not possible and could I send them a copy of my statements???

Excuse me, I said, why should I send a copy of my statements which the bank sent to me back to the bank?:confused: I need them for my court case.

The caller merely wanted to verify that my figures were accurate.

What should I do? Should I send the Litigation section a copy of my statements or not? I have the original statements and a copy of all the statements. Will it help my case if I am seen to be helpful or should I argue that the bank's litigation section should have access to this information.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

While going through the statements I noticed something disturbing. Barclays increased their charges from £25 and £30 to £30 and £35 for paid referral fee and unpaids out charges respectively.

This happened at the beginning of April this year, the same time that the OFT's report on credit card charges was issued. Is this merely a coincidence or did barclays decide to make some more money while they could before a reduction in charges was forced on them. Remember that excessive bank charges was mentioned in the report.

Any views on this would also be appreciated.

I would arrange to have the statements photocopied, get a receipt for the cost of photocopying and postage, and add it to your claim

Preliminary Letter sent to Woolwich 05/06

LBA sent 19/06

Court claim filed 04/07 : Total £824.75

Acknowledgement of Service 27/07

Defence received 08/08

AQ filed 11/08

Barclays AQ filed 05/09

Hearing date 20/12

SETTLED IN FULL £840.49: 14/12/06

Hi Mrgreengenes, well my claim is at the court date stage. I have a date set for 3rd Jan 2007. So what I did was give Keith Jeremiah a call on Friday 27th October & he told me that he no longer deals with litigation regarding (PENALTY CHARGES) his words not mine, as I never even mentioned to him it was regarding this matter.

Anyway he has taken my details & said he will pass them on to the people dealing with that side of things now.

Well I am not going to hold my breath & I am planning on getting in touch with Barclays solicitors to find out who is dealing with my case now & see if they are going to either:

1)Send me copies of their documents as instructed by the courts & when?

2)Remind them that a claim for £2505 is now up to £3226 with interest & court costs because Barclay let it get this far :)

3)Are they willing to go for settlement rather than let it get to court as it will be close to £3300 with interest & costs.

I have got a feeling that you will be getting a nice little xmas present this year.

Good luck & don’t let them get away with anything.

I have now received my court date. Early February.

The copy statements were sent to the litigation dept stating that they form part of the court bundle I will have to provide.

At least now I have a date to look forward to and from now on, time is running out for Barclays. Each day will take me closer to getting my money.

The minimum amount I will settle for is the full amount claimed plus £220 court fees, not a penny less. (Just in case they are following this thread) If we appear in court, 8% interest will be added on.

We should all do the same and then banks may stop offering us paltry sums.

By the way, the Euro Millions jackpot has rolled over again. Next week it may reach

£100,000,000!!! ;-)

If my syndicate wins, we will all be Millionaires. We only need to match 5 numbers as all Lucky Star numbers are covered.:grin:

The minimum amount I will settle for is the full amount claimed plus £220 court fees, not a penny less. (Just in case they are following this thread) If we appear in court, 8% interest will be added on.

You're selling yourself short. When you sent your letters, you made it clear that if you had to issue claim, you would claim 8% STATUTORY APR. They chose to drag the process as long as they possibly could, why on earth would you now let them get away with the interest?

It is YOUR claim, do not let them get away with bartering, there is not one single reason why they should not pay you that amount in FULL.

By indicating that they'll only pay the 8% if it goes to court, you have just indicated to anyone reading that they can now save themselves a substantial amount, since they have NO INTENTION to ever get to court. If you think they'll pay up quicker by being nice to them, I think you're mistaken.

I think they have organised themselves now to the point where every claimant is going to get the full and final settlement offer between 5 & 7 days before hearing, which allows for last minute scoring out confidentiality part, amounts adjustments etc...and still pay out just in time that the hearing doesn't go ahead. In my case, the money hit the account at 5 pm on the tuesday, with the hearing scheduled for the thursday 2 pm. But the kicker is Mr. Evans thought the hearing was on wednesday! So we are talking of the tightest of deadlines here.

Anyway, IMO, do not let them get away with the interest, they charged you nearly 30% all those years, and you can only get 8% back as it is. It's not a freebie, it's YOUR money just as much as the charges and the court fee, it's money you paid out at some point.

Just my 2 p.

• Confused 1

My mistake. I thought that you could only claim 8% as the court settlement. Now I know that I can claim 8% as an out of court settlement, I will, of course, insist on the interest as well.

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, I retract my previous statement.

The minimum amount I will settle for is the full amount claimed plus £220 court fees, plus 8% interest from the dates the charges were applied to the date of full settlement, not a penny less.

Thank you Bookworm. The interest up to today amounts to £734.18. In February it will be even more. That should make them squirm.:eek:

When I win I will scream it from the mountain tops, so, NO confidentiallity clause.

While I've got your attention BW, what do you think of this suggestion.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/43593-cag-income-source.html

I saw it, and now Bankfodder's seen it, and I think it sounds like a fantastic idea on principle, although I kow nothing of the practicalitites and whether it would work! :-D

But on principle, anything that helps this site go on for longer (and I don't think people realise how precarious it is at times) AND make the banks pay for it is a good thing!!! :-D