Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder irishbhoy67 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

Default dwp and jsa want bank statements and want to know how i got my savings

I had no clue that when i claimed jsa that my claim would be affected if i had between 6k and 16k in savings so didnt think to tell them what i had. Recently the customer compliance unit got in touch and demanded up to date totals in my account and jsa subsequently docked my benefit by 13 per week. Now they want to know how i amassed the 9k in my bank. before i claimed jsa i did not work but did gamble in poker clubs etc with good wins and i banked the money. Its legally and rightfully mine and i no longer gamble which is the reason im on jsa to try and gain long term employment but will anything come of my decision to tell them that i got it from gambling before i even claimed any money from them? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    Pixie land.

Default Re: dwp and jsa want bank statements and want to know how i got my savings

Hello and welcome to CAGicon.

Are you on income-based JSA or not please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

IB/ESA Tribunal template successes [that I know about]:
    honeybee13 April 2008; brighton gal January 2010 ; cbbc May 2010 lee100 September 2010 HadEnough October 2010 nitelite February 2011 Pritti March 2011
    Nottingham1989 [with leemack] June 2011
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

Default Re: dwp and jsa want bank statements and want to know how i got my savings

Hi Honeybee and thank you. Im guessing im on income based as the amount i get has dropped from 71 odds to 58 odds because of savings i have.

Basic Account Holder tomtom256 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

Look up capital threshold. Any savings should have been declared on your claim, they have obviously found out about it and want to know where it came from.

As you have won it ambling prior to your claim tell them this and give them proof and/or just provide the bank statements.

Basic Account Holder tokenfield Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2013

I can sort of understand the not knowing to disclose capital in excess of 6000 but where are the DWP coming from in wanting to know where it came from during a period prior to claiming a means tested benefit? It may well have come about through illegal activities as well as legal ones. What would happen if you said that it was your share of the proceeds of drug dealing for example?

Personally I think that it has nothing to do where it came from - just that it is there and should have been disclosed from the start.

Am I missing something?

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by tokenfield View Post
    I can sort of understand the not knowing to disclose capital in excess of 6000 but where are the DWP coming from in wanting to know where it came from during a period prior to claiming a means tested benefit? It may well have come about through illegal activities as well as legal ones. What would happen if you said that it was your share of the proceeds of drug dealing for example?

Personally I think that it has nothing to do where it came from - just that it is there and should have been disclosed from the start.

Am I missing something?
    Your 100% correct! they found out about it last year and deducted money but now they have come back with a letter saying they want statements from when i first made my claim which was 2yrs previous to them finding out. I think they should have asked me then what i had in the accounts from the start and i cant prove that i won it gambling, i used to visit poker schools, pubs, private sessions etc and had the money saved at home and then decided to bank it just before i quit gambling for good as gambling whilst on jsa is illegal as no one is gonna give you money to look for work when they know your gonna gamble it. Its my money fair and square but i dont see their angle here.

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

They would have asked about your accounts and what was held in them, its a standard question on the customer statement.

They want to know where it has come from as for all they know you may have been working whilst claiming and until you explain how.where it has come from they may sanction your benefit..

Unfortunately when you ask for assistance from the state, this is what you have to do.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative

Cagger since
    May 2012

they are probably looking to see if you've deprived yourself of capital - so to see how high your capital went in the couple of years prior to your claim. And they want to know where it came from for the same reason.

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

i'll give totals for the accounts in the month before i claimed just so as they know i havent deprived myself of the capital but im not giving details of transactions going in and out cos as far as im concerned they only need to know the totals. Catch 22 situation, if i spend the capital its deprivation of capital and if i dont spend it they'll wonder how i can afford to live on benefit and not spend savings

Cagger since
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom256 View Post
    They would have asked about your accounts and what was held in them, its a standard question on the customer statement.

They want to know where it has come from as for all they know you may have been working whilst claiming and until you explain how.where it has come from they may sanction your benefit..

Unfortunately when you ask for assistance from the state, this is what you have to do.
    Of course it is a standard question when you make the claim - but is it standard to ask where the money came from in the years leading up to making that claim? I don't think so.

I have always had about 10k in my bank accounts for years, but in 2009 I inherited 38,000. I spent 20k on a car, 10k on my home and 8k on a once in a lifetime cruise.
    I didn't claim any benefits - but if 12 months later I had done, I don't see that it has anything to do with the LA or DWP what I spent the windfall on.

Are people supposed to watch their spending just on the off chance that years later they may claim a benefit?

I do expect the state to verify my capital and wealth when I make a claim, I don't accept that what I do in the preceding years has anything to do with them.

Cagger since
    Jul 2013

The OP should ask the DWP as to what regulation empowers them to investigate what he was doing in the years leading up to making a claim.

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

off topic

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative estellyn Authoritative

Cagger since
    May 2012

At the time of inheritanceicon were you working or not?

Basic Account Holder san_d Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by irishbhoy67 View Post
    I had no clue that when i claimed jsa that my claim would be affected if i had between 6k and 16k in savings so didnt think to tell them what i had.
    Joe
    When filling the online form you must have been asked thw amount and nature of your savings. Sorry, but in this case the DWP has all the right to investigate and if necessary sanction.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Helen2264 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008
    I am in
    London

Quote Originally Posted by san_d View Post
    When filling the online form you must have been asked thw amount and nature of your savings. Sorry, but in this case the DWP has all the right to investigate and if necessary sanction.
    I agree, you are asking for money from the state but you don't expect them to ask you anything about savings etc, if you don't want the aggro just live on what you have for now and then applying for JS in meantime perhaps start looking for a job as you don't sound like a vulnerable sick person!

I am surprised you didn't have a clue the DWP's form do state clearly about the amount of savings you have could affect your claim!

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by estellyn View Post
    At the time of inheritanceicon were you working or not?
    At the time of making the money i was not working at all, was paying full rent for my property and not claiming a thing

Cagger since
    Jul 2013
    I am in
    glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Helen2264 View Post
    I agree, you are asking for money from the state but you don't expect them to ask you anything about savings etc, if you don't want the aggro just live on what you have for now and then applying for JS in meantime perhaps start looking for a job as you don't sound like a vulnerable sick person!

I am surprised you didn't have a clue the DWP's form do state clearly about the amount of savings you have could affect your claim!
    I told them i had over 3k but was told by somene that i didnt have to declare the isa as it was tax free and thats what i did, i really had no clue otherwise

Basic Account Holder Helen2264 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008
    I am in
    London

Quote Originally Posted by irishbhoy67 View Post
    I told them i had over 3k but was told by somene that i didnt have to declare the isa as it was tax free and thats what i did, i really had no clue otherwise
    I believe you can have up to 16k savings in your bank before it affect your claim, I am afraid nowadays DWP ask for bank statement and the housing benefit too, I was asked by both to supply a bank statement, I don't normally have two pennies to rub together after I spent my benefit money so it was easy for me to just give them the bank statement without worrying!

DWP digs into people lives and I pray it doesn't get worse, god only know what they might do next, we just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. I am on benefit for ill health myself! The more you have the more they dig, the less you have they'll leave you alone! I wish you luck and don't worry , you'll get good advices from here!

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

You can have up to 6k before your claim is affected. For each 250 (or part of) above 6k, 1 is deducted per week from your benefits. If you have 16k or more, you can't receive income based benefits.

Basic Account Holder bio Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Helen2264 View Post
    I believe you can have up to 16k savings in your bank before it affect your claim, {SNIP} you'll get good advices from here!
    Rather than get advice from 'someone' - like the ISA comment, and inaccurate advice like that above, you are best to ask for advice from DWP or your LA.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE