London King William St/Arthur St, going north. - Driving into bus lane penalty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Damn!!!! Went through the exact same lane an hour earlier....Anyone has any update?

There is no indication or signs that straight ahead is bus lane only. The signs are well past the start of lane and like OP, it was too late once realised.

Taking a quick look on "Street View" : the images there are from 2009.

Is it where the bus lane is on the left, separated from the non-bus lane to its right?. If so, the bus lane appears clearly marked (on the road & signs on both sides of its entrance) ; to avoid entering the bus lane, if in the left lane, one must turn left into Arthur Street.

Has the road scheme / road markings / signage changed since the 2009 images?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53018[/ATTACH]

The problem is slightly further down (5m from the pics posted by BazzaS) around 10m from bus lane is a straight ahead/left turn arrow and no indication that straight ahead is the bus lane only. I stayed on left lane with intentions to turn left on Cannon Street. The whole stretch of bridge indicates left is the left only but no signs to indicate that first left on left lane is for Arthur street and not Cannon Street :x. As the bus was in front of me and with the earlier straight ahead also arrow, I went straight until seen the bus lane sign. I actually stopped by there right at the edge with half my car in lane and thought of reversing. Even if someone notices the lane at this stage, there's no choice but to go straight into trap as the central reservation is the raised concrete platform.

"Straight ahead" means following the curve of the road, without turning off. To enter the bus lane, although it's directly in front of you, means not seeing the road curves around and that there's a dotted line to cross, etc. and turning off the course of the road you were on.

I didn't notice the sign today, and it's not on street view, but it would be helpful to see it.

Its on street view. If you move 3 steps forward behind bus 149 you'll see the sign for straight ahead or left turn. I don't think the sign is follow the curve but either left or straight. Not sure of the correct word but will upload pics tomorow when on desktop.

Edit it's the marking on road.

Cheers G&M, at least that helped to refine the search and came up with PATAS case# 2070041654 & 2060500165. Both cases were for the same street in Harlow. And the road marking is similar to those cases ie "BUSES ONLY" with pictures of cycle but missing the word either "AND" or "&". Also missing on whole stretch is the diagram 877 (877 Appropriate traffic lanes for manoeuvres at junction ahead) At least that would've warned straight ahead is bus lane/gate/street. Not sure whether dia 877 is mandatory though.

How do I get TRO?

Sent enquiry to City of London.

Did anyone had a look on Patas Case# posted above? The carriageway marking "Buses cycle legend" w/o "AND" or "&" ? Also what about the lack of advanced warning for restricted route (eg Diagram 877) especially considering the fact that central concrete island/reservation prevent the lane change even if driver manages to see "clearly marked signs placed in the middle of lane".

The PCN is code 33;Using a route restricted to certain vehicles.

Edit: Does PCN Code need suffix? Correct one should've been 33c.

Also what about ONLY sign?

One thing was bugging me after seeing google street view.

I actually saw and talked later about a camera enforcement sign but nothing to indicate for what type it would be.

Looking in street view, I thought I've seen that sign somewhere middle of the bridge on actual colored bus lane on left.

On "Bus Gate" itself, there is BUS & Cycle sign above the camera sign which would be almost impossible to miss if camera sign is noticed. On site, that sign for Bus + Cycle only is missing!!!!

The cyclist (blue top) is almost in same position as the driver would've been in road.

Can you see bus + cycle sign if bus is infront of you?

I got the exact same thing in the post today but i was driving through it as 20:46 on a Thursday. They have a sign not far behind saying 7-10, 4pm-7pm, some what confusing the go past that sign only to find the restricted route trapping you & forcing you to go left.

I got the exact same thing in the post today but i was driving through it as 20:46 on a Thursday. They have a sign not far behind saying 7-10, 4pm-7pm, some what confusing the go past that sign only to find the restricted route trapping you & forcing you to go left.

Those times are for the bus lane in bridge. What you planning to do? Still waiting for TRO before deciding whether to go ahead with appeal.

Those times are for the bus lane in bridge. What you planning to do? Still waiting for TRO before deciding whether to go ahead with appeal.

I'm going to appeal saying there are arrows pointing straight ahead & left, yet straight ahead is clearly a 'restricted route' but lacks an advanced warning & the central concrete island/reservation prevents lane chaning when the driver manages to see "clearly marked signs placed in the middle of lane". Sorry but i feel it's a trap & 95% of traffic goes right at the end of that road during quiet periods so me wanting to head toward Bank/Moorage means waiting in 5 minute of traffic with a totally empty lane to my left. This was at 20:46, why on earth can i not drive through it? This is the time i feel it's worth a fight.

Can anyone explain if diagram 953/953.1 needs to be in both sides of the road?

(2) In accordance with the following provisions of this direction and the provisions of direction 9, appropriate signs to which this direction applies shall be placed to indicate the point at which a restriction, requirement, prohibition or speed limit applying to traffic on a road (in this direction and in direction 9 called "the relevant road") begins.

(3) Subject to paragraphs (4), (5) and (6) and to direction 9, a sign to which this direction applies shall be placed on the relevant road at or as near as practicable to the point referred to in paragraph (2) -

(a) where the relevant road has only one carriageway, on each side of that carriageway; or

(b) where the relevant road has more than one carriageway, on each side of each carriageway in relation to which the restriction, requirement, prohibition or speed limit begins.

(4) Where the relevant road has one carriageway, then signs to which this direction applies need only be placed on one side of the relevant road to indicate the point at which a restriction, requirement, prohibition (but not a speed limit) begins in the following cases -

(a) where the restriction, requirement or prohibition applies only to traffic on one side of the relevant road; or

(b) at a junction where -

(i) traffic proceeding on another road on which it is permitted to proceed only in one direction turns into the relevant road; or

(ii) the carriageway of the relevant road is less than 5 metres wide and the sign is so placed that its centre is within 2 metres of the edge of the carriageway.

I'm currently up the road from this, let me know if you need any more pictures.

Thanks buddy....ATM I've got some that I can use but if needed, I'll let you know.

Made an appeal. So far we've got:

1) Non permitted variant of diagram 1084.1 with missing either words "And" or "&". PATAS case 2070041654 & 2060500165 allowed appeal on the basis of similar non compliance.

2) Missing diagram 953 on off side/driver's side of the road. This was present in Aug 2009 street view.

3) Lack of advance warning sign.

4) confusing straight Ahead/left turn (dia 1050) without dia 877.

5) Camera enforcement sign indicate a Bus lane. Even end is signed off as "End of Bus lane". Missing sign diagram 958.

6) PCN information is wrong on "make a representation". The web address throws up errors.

Any good??

Who issued the PCN? Tfl can only make traffic orders on red routes and enforce them, if its a CoL PCN then they have to have their own traffic order.

PCN is from tfl. I made request with city of london but got reply from tfl saying that they couldn't find it and will investigate. what's Col PCN?

Received notice of rejection.

1) I never raised the issue of missing advanced signs for CCTV enforcement. A whole para is wasted explaining the rule and laws for CCTV.

2) Tfl is satisfied that the signage in place at this location gives clear and sufficient information and meets statutory requirements:

a)They attached a picture of the "bus gate" which clearly & mysteriously shows a sign to diagram 953 above CCTV sign on RHS. On another where my car is seen going through, this sign is missing. Note the pic# 1 & 4 I've posted above where this is missing and all there is just a CCTV sign.

b) nothing on the raised issue of not permitted variant on diagram 1048.1 (missing AND or &).

PCN is from tfl. I made request with city of london but got reply from tfl saying that they couldn't find it and will investigate. what's Col PCN?

Received notice of rejection.

1) I never raised the issue of missing advanced signs for CCTV enforcement. A whole para is wasted explaining the rule and laws for CCTV.

2) Tfl is satisfied that the signage in place at this location gives clear and sufficient information and meets statutory requirements:

a)They attached a picture of the "bus gate" which clearly & mysteriously shows a sign to diagram 953 above CCTV sign on RHS. On another where my car is seen going through, this sign is missing. Note the pic# 1 & 4 I've posted above where this is missing and all there is just a CCTV sign.

b) nothing on the raised issue of not permitted variant on diagram 1048.1 (missing AND or &).

Sorry I was being lazy CoL=City of London! Its interesting that they cannot find the TMO probably because it was made by the Council!! https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/17035/response/42808/attach/3/Traffic%20Management%20Order.pdf it actually says its a bus route on it and differentiates it from a bus lane. When you go to PATAS I will draft you a letter if you want?

Thanks G&M and will appreciate any template letter to contest. I've got 14 days either to pay the reduced fine or appeal to PATAS. I'm weighing my options but as the Tfl attached an old pictures of the place, the balance is to PATAS. It'll be interesting to see the draft letter from you as I've looked at TRO and nothing stood out there. Please do PM your letter by the end of next week and if you're confident enough, then I'll take it to PATAS. Even in loss, IMO this is worth taking further.

Edit: if you need copy of reply from Tfl or pics sent by them, let me know.

There are two key issues, a) Tfl can only issue on red routes, if its a red route why has the Council made the TMO? b) its not a bus lane its a route restricted to certain classes of vehicle (confirmed in the TMO) and should therefore be enforced as such. The are other minor issues regarding the signage, the TMO for example says on 'authorised' buses but thats not on the sign.

• 2 weeks later...